More from BN sports editor

As I said after my earlier post when I answered an initial batch of questions, I am happy to have an ongoing dialogue about our coverage and the subscription model we are currently offering.

Someone along the way asked about my background, so briefly: Originally from White Plains, N.Y. Syracuse graduate and then worked at The Glens Falls Post-Star, the Utica Observer-Dispatch, the Syracuse Post-Standard, the Philadelphia Daily News (including eight years as the sports editor) and then five years at USA TODAY. And I’ve now been in Buffalo for three and a half weeks.

As I head toward finishing my first month here, I will throw it back to the most passionate Bills out there:

What should we be doing that we aren’t? What do you want more of? Let’s talk. I can check out the comments in this thread.

Beyond that, feel free to send me questions at any point at jbarnett@buffnews.com. Please know that I read everything I get.

(Note: I know the last thread was locked when the conversation got a bit aggressive. I also know that some of you don’t like certain members of my staff. That’s your prerogative and many of you expressed those views in your emails. I am willing to listen to reasonable suggestions. Telling me to fire this person or that person is not really productive.)

Thanks, Josh

Feel free to send me questions at any point at jbarnett@buffnews.com. Please know that I read everything I get.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind seeing a weekly article that has the latest pictures from #BillsMafia activities, sans the NSFW ones, of course. The Bills have some of the craziest, devoted fans in the league so it would be nice for them to get a little local media love. You may get rewarded with some jaw-dropping pics of when the goal posts get tore down after the Bills secure a playoff berth at the conclusion of a home game victory.

Hi Josh,

I am a former sports journalist (based in the UK not US) and one thing that has really become a staple of regional soccer coverage here over the past few years is the inclusion of "fan opinion" in weekly "a view from the stands" type articles to supplement and compliment the views of local media's regular reporters and columnists. Obviously the paper itself has ultimate editorial control over what it publishes - for legal reasons if no other. I'm not suggesting that you go into direct competition with the Bills fan blog sites such as BillsWire etc but I think one fan piece a week from a range of different fans with different views over the year could work really well. Especially for those fans who find some of your current staff a little on the.... shall we say "negative" side?

There are lots of very good contributors here as well as the more established blog sites who would, I am sure, be happy to try the model out for you if it is something you could see merit in.

Hey Josh,

Quick couple of suggestions off the top of my head

1) This may be covered in places, so my apologies if I am just missing it, but would be great to have someone who really understood and could translate all the advanced stats out there as it concerns the Bills and their upcoming opponent. Things like strengths on both sides, player grades and where they may indicate an advantage for either side, how it can influence the game plan etc.

2) Just cause, but maybe some focus on the gambling side of things could be interesting. And I don't mean the same old, same old, pick em columns, but someone who can report during the week on money flows on the Bills, explanations based as to why the line is what it is that week, how certain stats like those mentioned above impact the line, and any other interesting tidbits on the week that is football betting!

Hi Josh,

I am a former sports journalist (based in the UK not US) and one thing that has really become a staple of regional soccer coverage here over the past few years is the inclusion of "fan opinion" in weekly "a view from the stands" type articles to supplement and compliment the views of local media's regular reporters and columnists. Obviously the paper itself has ultimate editorial control over what it publishes - for legal reasons if no other. I'm not suggesting that you go into direct competition with the Bills fan blog sites such as BillsWire etc but I think one fan piece a week from a range of different fans with different views over the year could work really well. Especially for those fans who find some of your current staff a little on the.... shall we say "negative" side?

There are lots of very good contributors here as well as the more established blog sites who would, I am sure, be happy to try the model out for you if it is something you could see merit in.

I do kinda like this idea.

Hi Josh,

FWIW (not much) I really like this suggestion.

Hey Josh,

2) Just cause, but maybe some focus on the gambling side of things could be interesting. And I don't mean the same old, same old, pick em columns, but someone who can report during the week on money flows on the Bills, explanations based as to why the line is what it is that week, how certain stats like those mentioned above impact the line, and any other interesting tidbits on the week that is football betting!

Degenerate! :D

Hey Josh,

Quick couple of suggestions off the top of my head

1) This may be covered in places, so my apologies if I am just missing it, but would be great to have someone who really understood and could translate all the advanced stats out there as it concerns the Bills and their upcoming opponent. Things like strengths on both sides, player grades and where they may indicate an advantage for either side, how it can influence the game plan etc.

yes this! That would be terrific to do a pff type run down of why poyer is so good

Also saw some great bills coverage in Atlanta.

Would love to get other similarly owned newsrags to switch up and give their take of our team. The cinci paper writes a piece on their take of us and what they'll do.

And I would love to bring back the Sunday signs. I would buy the papers when visiting just for this. I know I had it in July and looked all over for the famous Pluck the falcons sign from 1993 or 1994. The one you sharpied in the P and took out the l to make it !@#$

What should we be doing that we aren’t? What do you want more of?

I thought Tim Graham's 9/30 piece "For NFL coaches, navigating anthem debate..." was excellent and the type of content I'd like to see more of. It was timely and provided good insight into the player's thoughts.

A weekly (or more frequent) long-form piece that doesn't just regurgitate coach-speak or player sound bites--along the lines of MMQB / SI content--would go a long way toward justifying the paywall fee. This would involve national outreach and tapping into perspectives beyond the walls of One Bills Drive, but that's exactly what would elevate Bills Blitz beyond the standard daily coverage already being done.

Just the fact you are willing to come on this board and seek feedback (positive or negative) speaks volumes. While I had no intention of getting the subscription before, mostly because there is already so much Bills info out there, I plan on it now. I respect your drive and passion and appreciate the effort you are putting into delivering a great product.

Just the fact you are willing to come on this board and seek feedback (positive or negative) speaks volumes. While I had no intention of getting the subscription before, mostly because there is already so much Bills info out there, I plan on it now. I respect your drive and passion and appreciate the effort you are putting into delivering a great product.

this

Hi Josh,

I'm not a subscriber to Buffalo Blitz so I'm not sure what's been going on behind your paywall. But I used to read BN (except Sully) before that and here are some of my thoughts about what you need to do to get me to become a paying subscriber...

* More human interest type stories. In Tyler Dunne's brief tenure with the BN, he wrote some nice pieces on players and their backgrounds.

* More inside information. No one at BN seems very well connected with One Bills Drive. BN writers rarely tell us things we don't already know from games, pressers, and national media.

* More analysis. I really don't need a different take on facts I already know. I want articles that dig deeper and open my eyes to things I didn't figure out for myself. For example, tell me what the heck Rico is trying to do with the running attack?

* Less whining. You have writers - at least one - who could find a dark cloud on the sunniest of days. The criticisms need to be balanced.

By the way, I think it's great you're reaching out to the fan base. Good luck on your new job!

A weekly (or more frequent) long-form piece that doesn't just regurgitate coach-speak or player sound bites--along the lines of MMQB / SI content--would go a long way toward justifying the paywall fee. This would involve national outreach and tapping into perspectives beyond the walls of One Bills Drive, but that's exactly what would elevate Bills Blitz beyond the standard daily coverage already being done.

This to me is the biggest issue. Way too many BN columns and articles just refer to the things we all know and use quotes from the press conferences we've all seen (or read the direct transcripts of).

I would definitely pony up the $3 if I felt like people were reaching out to unusual sources or getting perspectives from different people around the league. Tyler Dunne did this really well when he was here - no matter what he was writing about, he would take the time to talk to players/coaches from different cities, retired players, scouts, etc.

I think this is important not just for reporting but also for opinion pieces. Everyone beats up on certain columnists (especially one) for being negative. But it's not just negativity - it's lazy, ill-informed negativity - the kind of stuff I can hear from any radio show caller or the guy sitting next to me at the bar. Someone like Peter King - who can basically spout anything he wants to as a columnist (and does) still takes lots of time to talk to different people around the league and to offer multiple perspectives and insights on any given issue. That is what makes a column more than just some dude's opinion. A little reporting, a little dialogue, a little synthesis. I would happily pay for the site if there was more of that kind of stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to engage.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

As I said after my earlier post when I answered an initial batch of questions, I am happy to have an ongoing dialogue about our coverage and the subscription model we are currently offering.

Someone along the way asked about my background, so briefly: Originally from White Plains, N.Y. Syracuse graduate and then worked at The Glens Falls Post-Star, the Utica Observer-Dispatch, the Syracuse Post-Standard, the Philadelphia Daily News (including eight years as the sports editor) and then five years at USA TODAY. And I’ve now been in Buffalo for three and a half weeks.

As I head toward finishing my first month here, I will throw it back to the most passionate Bills out there:

What should we be doing that we aren’t? What do you want more of? Let’s talk. I can check out the comments in this thread.

Beyond that, feel free to send me questions at any point at jbarnett@buffnews.com. Please know that I read everything I get.

(Note: I know the last thread was locked when the conversation got a bit aggressive. I also know that some of you don’t like certain members of my staff. That’s your prerogative and many of you expressed those views in your emails. I am willing to listen to reasonable suggestions. Telling me to fire this person or that person is not really productive.)

Thanks, Josh

Feel free to send me questions at any point at jbarnett@buffnews.com. Please know that I read everything I get.

I for one appreciate you coming on to this forum and being as open-minded as you are at this point and I still remember the day when the straw broke Tim Graham's back and think it was reprehensible given his credibility and the fact he was offering insight he was under no obligation to do. With that said, this is more of me just saying thank you for introducing yourself and allowing your professional forum to intersect with this fan-driven site.

As for suggestions, I think many sites including your own that do a very nice job covering the many angles of sports: human side, stats, analysis, and projections. I think something that should try to be accomplished, that can only be done over time, is building a trusting relationship with the HC and GM / staff at OBD so that we can hear some of the their transparent "whys" "how comes", and "what was that about?" so they can help some of us frustrated by the lack of perspective in understanding the decisions made. I know of course they're not going to come out and forecast their decisions, but once some of them are done, it would be nice to have a real, transparent conversation about the reasons without coach-speak or cliche's. And I know that's on them to do, but I do think if a trust relationship can be fostered and they know that a journalist isn't out to burn them or intentionally paint them in a bad light, they may be more apt to openly discuss their reasoning. This, can be a big deal during a drought....just understanding the "whys" and "hows" decisions are made to help us cope with the current state of the team.

They may not have been a big help, just expressing my own opinion from going through the glory years of Kelly-Thurman-Reed with Levy to the doldrums of Jauron / Losman / Holcomb / Gailey, etc.....

Thanks again, and best of luck.

Up until this moment, I had absolutely no intention of paying $3 for a news subscription. Ever. But, I have to say, it was rather disappointing when I was blocked from the numerous "Buffalo News Reports" links on this site-- especially since I live in Los Angeles (born and raised in Rochester).

So, can someone tell me: Is it worth $3.00? I hate to feel like a sucker.

Up until this moment, I had absolutely no intention of paying $3 for a news subscription. Ever. But, I have to say, it was rather disappointing when I was blocked from the numerous "Buffalo News Reports" links on this site-- especially since I live in Los Angeles (born and raised in Rochester).

So, can someone tell me: Is it worth $3.00? I hate to feel like a sucker.

I would feel like a sucker if I gave $3 to one of the pan-handlers on the street corners... but for this? Just cancel if you don't like it. If it was $30 or $300, then yeah.