LA Ratings for Dolphins-Saints > Chargers-Eagles game

Rams in la. Chargers to st louis. Solved

Really though

When you relocate a team, the best thing to do, probably is completely re-brand.

You are trying to reach football fans in a city. The fans already identify with one team or another. Then you say "you are now a rams fan". Its not going to work for awhile until it gets generationed in. A new coat of paint with a team name and uniforms would probably attract more people... i hate to lose traditional nfl teams, but i dont like moving teams either

Edited by May Day 10

In defense of the Rams they were there for like 30 plus years and did draw well until Georgia Frontiere took over and forced a move to Anahiem and then demanded a new stadium. Back then cities were not as willing to give money so she gutted the team and waited until a city came available which it did in St Louis. She proceeded to move the team there and the rest is history.

I do feel bad for St. Louis because they followed the NFL's policy to keep a team to the letter of the law and still got screwed. The Rams will do fine and if they keep winning I think they will see a good turnout. Plus once the new stadium hits it will be popular.

The Chargers... well I'm thrilled to see their demise and issues. Zero reason the team needed to move and Spanos had a temper tantrum so I love seeing him get embarrassed weekly. The Chargers played exactly one season in LA so they never were an LA team. The NFL really failed in not forcing the team to stay in SD and even forcing a sale to get better ownership. I really believe the Chargers will be moving it just is a question of where and do not doubt London, NFL says by 2022 they are ready for a team.

Not quite accurate; I attended a game LA in 1985 with Eric Dickerson at his peak. Many empty seats and the fans present appeared bored. My friend who was an "LA Rams" stated that was pretty much the status quo in LA; too much entertainment competition.

Adam Schefter was on NFL radio yesterday and said that the Chargers are basically playing 16 road games. He was going through the remaining schedule, and talking about how some teams travel well. Then said something to the effect of: Buffalo fans, are you kidding me? What Bills fan wouldn't want to go to LA for a November game? That stadium will be full of Buffalo fans.

One reason why the Chargers always had a huge presence of the opponents fan base, going back to their time in SD, is because it's a destination game due to location. When planning a road trip to see your team and you see San Diego on the schedule, it's preferable because you can always plan for good weather, and can make a vacation out of it. It's like a college bowl game.

In taking the team from LA they signed a contract that they should not have - the contract guaranteed they would have a top rated stadium (top 5?) and with Jerry's World, the Cheaterma, University of Phoenix Stadium, etc there was no way the stadium could be upgraded to meet contract and they certainly were not going to do a Falcons and throw a working stadium and build a new one so they lost the team.

Actually the state had agreed to build a new state of the art stadium. Even with the dome not payed off St Louis was willing to do a new one.

I love the London games here on the West coast! I'm usually up by 7 or so and it's great to pour a cup and have football on TV first thing!

I hope they start having game there every week.

Agreed - except for me i wake up on sundays at like 9-930 and its nice to have something on TV.

Not quite accurate; I attended a game LA in 1985 with Eric Dickerson at his peak. Many empty seats and the fans present appeared bored. My friend who was an "LA Rams" stated that was pretty much the status quo in LA; too much entertainment competition.

It's like that in Florida too. Nobody cares about sports.

Great to see actually, serves these Greedy ass owners right.

It's sad St.Louis and San Diego fans have to read this crap.

Im with you !!

L.A. is the same as it has always been as far as the NFL is concerned they are like a paper fire . When the team first got there they were all about it but now that they are there it's back to things as usual & the old fan base that they left would still be going to their supposed crappy stadiums to watch because they love their teams !!

But leave it to owners like Jones, Kronke, & others that put greed in front of a fan base that will stick with their team through thick & thin !! I am so glad the Pegs stepped up & bought the Bills !!!

I hope that Kronke losses his ass on this stadium thing with Goodell standing right beside him with a dumb look on his face & both of them asking what happened after leaving those other cities hanging with stadiums that they can now barely use !!

The NFL with all that is going on today is getting to big for their britches & i hope it continues to bite them where they sit !!

Edited by T master

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with the raiders in Vegas. It amazes me when you build a product as huge as the NFL, and then go moving teams to different cities. Like duh, part of the reason the NFL is so huge is because of where the teams play. Just because Los Angeles didn't have an NFL team, doesn't mean they needed one, let alone two

If the Raiders are playing well when they get to LV they will get supported. I dont think a team can fit a city like the Raiders and Las Vegas they go together. And sure they will fill the stadium even if its with help from other teams.

I predict the Rams will ultimately do fine. they seem to be on the right track and when the new stadium opens, it'll be a hot ticket. the Coliseum is terrible and in a bad area. the chargers are doomed. They should start scouting for a new city now.

Bad area. yeah OK.

Adjacent to and connected to USC campus where 44,000 students go to school on a daily basis and the Trojans fill the coliseum almost full every Sat home game, many at night. Must be an area EVERYONE is afraid to go to. SMH.

Chargers game wasn't even on TV in L.A. The Raiders/Broncos were on. Only a matter of time before Chargers go back were they belong.

That's pathetic. Part of the biggest entertainment company inside these borders, and you can't even put it on freakin' TV? So they play in an old shared stadium in a reportedly bad area, nobody in the stands, and can't even get on TV. Why the hell did they move?

If Buffalo had Phillip Rivers for the past decade, the attendance and viewership in the area would be through the roof.

Classic example of 2 cities being screwed by shortsighted, greedy ownership. Thank the heavens we weren't bought by a stadium seeking, greedy team mover just to pad their pocketbooks.

Adam Schefter was on NFL radio yesterday and said that the Chargers are basically playing 16 road games. He was going through the remaining schedule, and talking about how some teams travel well. Then said something to the effect of: Buffalo fans, are you kidding me? What Bills fan wouldn't want to go to LA for a November game? That stadium will be full of Buffalo fans.

He's probably right. There was a pretty good contingent at last years Rams game. I'm thinking the Chargers might be an easy ticket to come by and non stops to LAX from BUF have increased the appeal.

Bad area. yeah OK.

Adjacent to and connected to USC campus where 44,000 students go to school on a daily basis and the Trojans fill the coliseum almost full every Sat home game, many at night. Must be an area EVERYONE is afraid to go to. SMH.

Actually, the area around the stadium is something of a schithole.

Yes, USC is nearby and no, "EVERYONE" is not afraid to go there, but many people here think twice and three times about going there for a game. It's not quite the schithole that is Berkeley, but it's not a safe area, either.

He's probably right. There was a pretty good contingent at last years Rams game.

By the end of that game, with Rams fans gone, you really got an sense of just how many Bills fans filled that place. I'll try to post a video I shot from our seats in the lower level.

Their local cheer -- "Whose house? Rams house!" -- quickly turned into "Bills house!" by the fourth quarter.

Chargers game wasn't even on TV in L.A. The Raiders/Broncos were on. Only a matter of time before Chargers go back were they belong.

They didn't sell out. Amazing.

If the Raiders moved back to LA they'd maintain a large portion of their fan base as they're incredibly loyal, but the Chargers and Rams in LA doesn't make much sense. It's just not a football city.

Not a football city? That's just nuts and historically false.

When you have trouble filling a 27,000 seat stadium for an NFL regular season game....that's a problem.

One of the reasons the Chargers aren't filling the stadium is because they made no effort to sell individual game tickets. Up until August 31st, the Chargers were only selling season tickets. It was only when they had a few scattered seats left did they make any attempt to sell the individual games. After buying the Bills game through Stubhub! last spring, I received an e-mail from the Chargers on 8/31 telling me the team was just releasing individual game tickets. Worse yet, most of the tickets left were priced higher than the season tickets, which means that you can usually find comparable seats cheaper on the secondary market than directly from the team through Ticketmaster. The Chargers average ticket price is almost double what the Rams are charging. There's no way fans are going to see the 0-4 Chargers at double the price of the 3-1 Rams. It looks like most of the season ticket holders are selling their tickets on the secondary market and the buyers are more often fans of the opponent.