WEEK 4 bUF vs. ATL - ALL 22 - OLine/Qb Unforced Error Review

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /
How the QB did on every pass play (I may have missed a snap or two here or there. There also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalties but this should be 95% accurate)

Sufficient protection means that TT had time to hit his drop and had at least a second to scan the field.

DISCLAIMER (I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 27 - (Last week was 33)

LINE BREAKDOWNS: 5/27 or 19% ( last week was 8/33 or 24% ). In other words TT didn't really have a chance on 19% of his drop backs. Based on historical data the threshold for average O Line performance has been around a 20% breakdown rate.. so lets say the O Line (including TEs.. more on that later) was average against the Falcons

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION: 22/27 or 81% (last week was 25/33 or 76%). In other words TT had a relatively clean pocket 81% of the time.

UNFORCED QB ERRORS: 6/27 or 22% ( last week was 1/33 or 3%) Based on my 2015/16 studies if the Bills' QBs commit 5 unforced QB errors or less during a game their odds of winning are solid. TT had 6 unforced errors by my count. This is slightly above the danger zone. As we will see later.. the good thing is his poor throws were mostly "safe" overthrows on deep balls.

O LINE PERFORMANCE

DION DAWKINS - had a really solid day. By my observation there were no obvious pressures given up by DD.

RICHIE INCOGNITO – Richie was solid for most of the day in pass protect. His man drove him into the pocket once but even then he was stout enough.

ERIC WOOD – Wood had a bit of a tough day handling #97.

q1 6:40 - SACK - Wood is beaten one on one by #97 creating pressure in TT's face. Mills doubles down on the LG instead of helping TE O'Leary who is left alone to block the DE... which is not a fair fight.
0RqFoELe11.gif

q2 15 :00 - Wood beaten by #97 again

cGqoimx.gif

JOHN MILLER – Much better performance today from #76. He had a false start in Q4 but other than that was solid in pass protect

JORDAN MILLS – Better than the previous weeks.. however.. Mills did have 2 bad plays by my count.

q1: 6:40 - SACK The first was the above mentioned play where Wood was beaten by #97. For some reason Mills doubles the DT and leaves O'Leary one on one with the DE. Not a fair fight

q4 - 15:00- SACK - Mills beaten badly on inside move by #50. He nearly falls on his face here. He has a really bad habit of waist bending and lunging.

d83pbD8.gif

O LINE PASS BLOCK GRADES

DION DAWKINS – B+
RICHIE INCOGNITO – B
ERIC WOOD - C
JOHN MILLER – B
JORDAN MILLS – C

O'LEARY HIT AND MISS -

q4 6:54 - O'Leary does just enough to chip #90 to buy enough time for TT to unload a beauty deep throw to Clay (while taking a hit)

wRQDiqk.gif

TYROD UNFORCED ERRORS – By my count TT had 6 unforced errors. There were several instances where he sensed "phantom pressure" and bailed out of the pocket early resulting in lost opportunities. There were also several off target deep throws.

OVERTHROWS

Q2 14:53 - TT has #97 in his face.. however.. he rushes the throw a hair and miss Jones deep

UrLjUpz.gif

TT BAILING EARLY - PHANTOM PRESSURE

Q3- 13:48 - It's subtle here.. but TT has a clean pocket and for some reason drifts to the left. If he shuffle steps up and throws he has Clay down the seam.. however.. he tucks his head down and throws a checkdown to Shady short of the chains resulting in a punt.

vljIjHn.gif

TT PHANTOM PRESSURE AGAIN

Q2 14:49 - TT has clean pocket.. feels phantom pressure.. drifts right unnecessarily resulting in scramble for short gain. Also.. Dion Dawkins dominates his man here. DD is gonna be good. Nice job Brandon Beane.

- KLJkRMc.gif

TT GOOD DEEP THROW

Q2 - 3:47 - Here's a good example where TT gets max protect ( TE stays in.. Shady does nice job picking up blitzer) and throws a very catchable ball to Zay Jones who drops it

U8zjfQc.gif

GAME SUMMARY

The O Line played fairly well today.. there were several instances where TT had a nice clean pocket and had time to go through several reads (which doesn't happen very often). Dion Dawkins is a budding star.. it will be really interesting to see what happens when Cordy Glenn comes back. From what I saw the Falcons rarely stunted or blitzed.. usually keeping a Safety as a shadow on TT. TT had another good week of running the naked bootleg play and making a few tough throws on the run with unblocked defenders in his face (the one to Clay comes to mind). There were some nice timing routes earlier in the game where the ball came out quick giving the receivers time for YAC.

There were several plays where the receivers really didn't get any separation. The team really needs several upgrades to help out whoever the QB is going to be in 2018 as this group of WRs has a tough time running good routes to get open.

I'm still a little frustrated that TT is feeling that "phantom pressure" .. if he can just relax a little and get rid of that tendency to drift right or left unnecessarily I think he will start seeing some of those deep seam routes open up.

Several of his unforced errors were overthrows on deep balls.. and while I had to categorize them as unforced I am happy that they were taking shots down the field finally. He missed Kaelin Clay a few times and overthrew Zay Jones once. However.. he and Clay definitely have their timing down. Hopefully with a few more weeks of practice and reps he'll be able to get timing down with Kaelin Clay and Zay. If that happens.. and Dennison keeps dialing long distance then the Bills will always have a puncher's chance in whatever game they play. By my count they attempted at least 7 deep balls.
__ _____

SIGNIFICANT PLAYS

q1 6:40 - SACK - O'Leary left to block a DE by himself as Mills chooses to help John Miller instead of his TE. Wood is beaten as well.

q1 5:18 - UNFORCED ERROR - TT has time but overthrows K. Clay deep

FkDwNlb.gif

Q2 15:00 - Wood beaten by #97

q2 14:53 - UNFORCED ERROR - TT has 97 closing in.. however.. he throws a hair to early and overthrows Zay Jones

q214:49 - UNFORCED ERROR - TT feels phantom pressure . bails out of clean pocket to the right resulting in a short gain.

q2 : 10:25 - UNFORCED ERROR - TT naked bootleg left.. has time.. overthrows an open Zay Jones

q2 7:22 - Incredible Houdini play where naked bootleg is not there.. TT reverses the field and throws a strike to a double covered Clay 30 yards downfield.

q2 4:23 - Corner bats away a well thrown slant to Zay Jones

q2 3:47 - Max protect.. TT has time.. Zay Jones drops catchable deep ball

q2 :18 - UNFORCED ERROR - TT has time.. overthrows K. Clay deep

q3 15:00 - SACK - Jordan Mills beaten to the inside by #50

q3 13:48- UNFORCED ERROR - TT senses "phantom pressure" ..bails out of clean pocket early and misses out of open Clay down the deep seam. Checks down to Shady instead resulting in 4th down

q4 13:00 John Miller False Start

q4 6:54 - TT bootleg.. takes hit and hits deep throw to Clay. O'Leary gets just enough of a chip block on the backside to give TT time to throw.

Edited by Bocephuz

I look forward to this thread each week as much as I look forward to a new episode of Better Call Saul. BTW, I love Better Call Saul.

Muchos gracias.

Every week I waffle on whether or not to make this post as it is time consuming.. but once I get started I get suxked in

I added it to the original post..

Fantastic! Thanks.

I was having this discussion with Turbo and remembered that Clay had beaten his man, which he clearly did. Looks like he had him by a step and that the ball was overthrown by a foot.

So close to connecting.

Fantastic! Thanks.

I was having this discussion with Turbo and remembered that Clay had beaten his man, which he clearly did. Looks like he had him by a step and that the ball was overthrown by a foot.

So close to connecting.

Looks to me like Clay had a slight step, but that for some reason he stopped and dove instead of running through the reception

Looks to me like Clay had a slight step, but that for some reason he stopped and dove instead of running through the reception

Maybe.

But the point that I was making is that the receiver had beat his man, which he did and that there were several opportunities throughout the game where they had beaten their man on the longer throws.

Maybe.

But the point that I was making is that the receiver had beat his man, which he did and that there were several opportunities throughout the game where they had beaten their man on the longer throws.

Yeah, I wasn't really speaking to your argument with Turbos.

Man that throw to K Clay was just a hair off. At least it looks that way from my phone. I'll look on larger screen later.

If TT takes a hair off that K Clay throw and Zay catches his deep ball TT's stat line would have looked much different. I feel so relieved that bombs away is back. Bengals will be watching that film and will have to respect that deep ball. I expect Shady to see lighter boxes and have a big day

Man that throw to K Clay was just a hair off. At least it looks that way from my phone. I'll look on larger screen later.

Maybe.

I dunno - throwing the ball what 50 yards down the field... it has a low completion percentage for a reason. Every QB misses throws like that from time to time.

You also miss 100% of the shots you don't take, so at least they're shooting for it on occasion.

I dunno - throwing the ball what 50 yards down the field... it has a low completion percentage for a reason. Every QB misses throws like that from time to time.

You also miss 100% of the shots you don't take, so at least they're shooting for it on occasion.

I'm not criticizing TT on the throw. I'm very happy that they took some shots down the field and I do believe that helped loosen up the run game.

Eventually we'll connect on some of those throws.

On no. Totally wrong. Every other Qb in the league hits that 50 yard pass at least ten times a game. 80 percent of which go for tds. Nate Peterman hits it 12 times a game. 100 percent of which go for tds. Your just making excuses for Tyrod.

In that first video - is there anything Dawkins could be doing rather than standing there by himself?

Hard to tell... I think he could rotate in and help on that stunt, but it didn't really matter since Tyrod was already on his ass. Cog did a good job creating a pocket, but Wood's guy collapsed it so there was no where to step.

Fantastic! Thanks.

So close to connecting.

We weren't even talking about the same play... Let it go...