Bills Sign WR Philly Brown and Two Safeties

That's it. If they were healthy they stood a good chance of seeing an uptick. When Doug Whaley said "7-9.....not good enough" he was right........this team has had playoff talent for a number of years.........and while the overall base and depth has been diminished this year there was still enough and the fact that they are mostly motivated veterans is very important in a league where practice time is at a minimum.

Except that's not how you've been framing it during the offseason. If memory serves me right, you doubted McDermott's ability to be a good coach from the start, and claimed that the only reason Bills were overpaying the veterans was to prevent a locker room revolt. But none of that would translate to success on the field.

Because?

Jauron

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that's not how you've been framing it during the offseason. If memory serves me right, you doubted McDermott's ability to be a good coach from the start, and claimed that the only reason Bills were overpaying the veterans was to prevent a locker room revolt. But none of that would translate to success on the field.

Because?

Jauron

It's called revisionism. For some people the past is very malleable when brought up in the present.

Because?

Jauron

You're hung up on the idea that you have to be 100% in or 100% out on the organizational direction.

The reality, as Bill Belichick has said, is that it's HARD to stay bad in the NFL........you almost have to be making one bad decision after the next to remain bad for a long period of time..........so even many bad decisions do not preclude you from some measure of success.

I liked some things about McDermott.........others I did not.

I liked the roster he inherited a lot more than some..........including Tyrod Taylor, who he apparently wavered on........and Watkins and MG who he felt he didn't need.

I was the first proponent on TSW of signing Micah Hyde................was also the only person on TSW to call Tre'Davious White the top CB in the class prior to the draft.

But if you use your rationale........everything I have done is to frame McDermott as a certain failure.........it's not the case.

If you actually read the post I started comparing what McDermott was trying to do to what Jauron was trying to do...........I was right.........it's been Jauron-Ball.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing to start with........Jauron initially straightened up a sloppy ship that Mularkey left behind by simplifying and trying to create synergy with the talent he had ...........and in his first ever game he nearly upset the Patriots in Gillette then came out and beat the Dolphins in week two.

But you want to perceive it as me "framing" McDermott as a certain failure just because Jauron couldn't up HIS game.

Time will tell........but the comparisons were obviously spot on....and done at a time when most felt what McD was actually trying to do was tank.

So, just to throw a slightly more recent name out there:

Would folks prefer that the Bills kicked the tires on Stevie Johnson (Mr. Ad Hoc route runner with questionable ability to fit into this scheme an provide reasonable downfield blocking to support run game)?

Or, Philly Brown, who is familiar with the role he will have to fill with the current Bills system?

Please don't laugh-off the question... I expect people may be split on whether they'd bring in Stevie.... but I'm just using this as an example (you could substitute another name for Johnson in the comparison above).

Problem with Stevie is two fold - he tends not to keep in shape and the Ad Hoc route running which burned Revis many times also makes it difficult to hook up with QBs who do not understand him and his deltas. We had a QB who did but Stevie was a backup who practiced with our backup QB when they learned to be in sync and I do not see it happening with TT on short notice. Plus is stunts which put him in dog house with McD.

Put more sugar in that Limeaid. B-)

Sorry limes were added when McD dropped good coaches and scouts just to clean house.

That has been my only objection to McD since beginning.

He did not do the same with Lammy and Darby but waited until after training camp to determine if they could fit.

Immediately our starting slot receiver (#3 on the depth chart).

with this injury he has moved up to our second slot guy. Congrats Philly

they may not be game ready. Also, if you move to 53 man roster you need to keep them on there for 3 games (or they are guaranteed 3 game checks at least). In this case that makes sense with Matthews time frame. But if you need to move them off when Matthews is back, you have to waive them and you risk them getting claimed by another team. You can't just move guys back and forth to the PS. If there isn't a lot of difference between philly and Reilly (or Dupree) at this stage, better to sign the FA if they don't want to risk the developmental player.

i get it but i really am glad kaelin clay and whoever else has a safe position on this team. if reilly was that good. i dont even blink on a clay or other cutting. hell bramdon tate isnt untouchable. taiwan jones is here for something. do it. whybnot just use powell for the 3 weeks then. i just dont get it. i have probably hated or not agreed with every trade or acquisition but i cant question it until it stops working. you know what i mean?

LOL Zay is a reception monster in NCAA for years and fights the ball in the NFL for a couple games and all of a sudden he has bad hands. Recency bias much?

Kid caught 399 balls in college. He doesn't have bad hands. To use hockey terminology, he's gripping the stick too tight right now

he is legit a slot guy the way the game is played now he would still be an impact starter. he just would run different routes i think his issue is he wasnt really relied on to track the ball in the air.he is for slants and comeback sit down routes. he is NOT an outside guy. problem is we traded for a better slot guy... right now... so zay is miscast. just my 2s