Panthers Sign Former Bills' Safety Jairus Byrd

his dad is our db coach and we decided to start a career backup in Poyer over him. worked out well but pretty bizarre we didn't at least give him a shot. unless he was asking for too much money or something. i guess we will see how much he is going to be paid by Carolina

Well, that's one way to describe him...another would be a young up-and-comer who had a freak injury and just needed an opportunity.

And why is it "bizarre" the Bills didn't invite him in? When exactly was Byrd's last productive year in the NFL?

Well, that's one way to describe him...another would be a young up-and-comer who had a freak injury and just needed an opportunity.

And why is it "bizarre" the Bills didn't invite him in? When exactly was Byrd's last productive year in the NFL?

If you thought before this season that Poyer was better than Byrd then you would be all alone in that assumption. Like I said, it has worked out well but nobody expected Poyer to play this well

his dad is our db coach and we decided to start a career backup in Poyer over him. worked out well but pretty bizarre we didn't at least give him a shot. unless he was asking for too much money or something. i guess we will see how much he is going to be paid by Carolina

His dad came into my store a few times and we jokingly talked about Jairus signing here. You could tell he really wanted it to happen (obviously). Good guy, super nice.

On a side note, Eddie Yarbrough came in and was very nice and humble too. That was after the Carolina game. I brought up Zay's drop an you could tell he was upset about it. I love this team.

His dad came into my store a few times and we jokingly talked about Jairus signing here. You could tell he really wanted it to happen (obviously). Good guy, super nice.

On a side note, Eddie Yarbrough came in and was very nice and humble too. That was after the Carolina game. I brought up Zay's drop an you could tell he was upset about it. I love this team.

Thanks for the inside scoop. Yea it just seems crazy. We are looking for a safety and I'm sure in the meetings they are asking the DB coach who they should sign and meanwhile his son is available so obviously he's going to be like "you know who is pretty good that is available...MY SON!" But we went for unproven Poyer over Pro Bowler Jairus Byrd aka the coach's own son. It worked out well but there's no way anyone could have expected that

Byrd is easily a better player than Shamarko Thomas or Elston. McBeane didn't want to pay the money.

Byrd would have been nice insurance at safety behind Hyde and Poyer and likely would have been one of our top six DBs (White/Gaines/Coleman/Hyde/Poyer/Byrd).

I'm with you on this. Depth never hurts, especially a former pro bowler at vet minimum.

Thanks for the inside scoop. Yea it just seems crazy. We are looking for a safety and I'm sure in the meetings they are asking the DB coach who they should sign and meanwhile his son is available so obviously he's going to be like "you know who is pretty good that is available...MY SON!" But we went for unproven Poyer over Pro Bowler Jairus Byrd aka the coach's own son. It worked out well but there's no way anyone could have expected that

I had very low expectations for Poyer, but I don't think anyone outplaying Byrd in 2017 was all that unexpected.

If you thought before this season that Poyer was better than Byrd then you would be all alone in that assumption. Like I said, it has worked out well but nobody expected Poyer to play this well

I didn't say that at all. I said that Byrd is D-O-N-E while Poyer has his whole career in front of him.

I'm with you on this. Depth never hurts, especially a former pro bowler at vet minimum.

So why was Byrd still unsigned? Because NFL GMs were colluding to keep a talented player unemployed?

I didn't say that at all. I said that Byrd is D-O-N-E while Poyer has his whole career in front of him.

So why was Byrd still unsigned? Because NFL GMs were colluding to keep a talented player unemployed?

He's going to be the starting safety for Carolina so we will see for ourselves soon

He was not a "career backup" - they had an entrenched starter and he had won the starting position in his 4th year but got injured.

Now Jarius Byrd has a reputation of giving up and I am pretty sure McD rejected any chance of him playing.

....yet when he was passed over by OBD, the posts extraordinaire were overwhelming about letting him go on BBMB and TBD....and all of THOSE budding GM's are STILL here.....laughable....no mea culpas in sight.......

Lots here were glad to see him go with his Planters Fakeitis although some in the wine and cheese club think he should be able to do whatever he needs to get the big contract, even stiff the Bills.

He has a reputation of milking injuries and no one wanted to give him a guaranteed salary.

The assistant DB coach did. He coached for the Browns.

I didn't think Byrd was worth signing for veteran minimum and have stated so many times.

And that is the reason why players hold out for the most money...Unless Byrd finds a TV gig, he has to pretty much spend wisely, from that big contract he signed, for the rest of his life

He held out because he had no issue with scamming the Bills.

And I really wish he was playing Carolina when we played them.