Panthers Sign Former Bills' Safety Jairus Byrd

his dad is our db coach and we decided to start a career backup in Poyer over him. worked out well but pretty bizarre we didn't at least give him a shot. unless he was asking for too much money or something. i guess we will see how much he is going to be paid by Carolina

@RapSheet

With Kurt Coleman set to miss several weeks with a sprained MCL, #Panthers signed free agent safety Jairus Byrd, the former Pro Bowler

Good luck

his dad is our db coach and we decided to start a career backup in Poyer over him. worked out well but pretty bizarre we didn't at least give him a shot. unless he was asking for too much money or something. i guess we will see how much he is going to be paid by Carolina

I think McWrestler and Bean don't want to look back. He did not impress in N'Orleans. I also think it's potentially a team-building problem to have a coach and a player who are related on the team.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Who would have thought just a few years ago that Byrd would be on the street and available for dumpster diving during the season?

Goes to show how quickly players fortunes can change in this league but at least Byrd collected a big pay day from the Saints during his brief tenure there.

Who would have thought just a few years ago that Byrd would be on the street and available for dumpster diving during the season?

Goes to show how quickly players fortunes can change in this league but at least Byrd collected a big pay day from the Saints during his brief tenure there.

I pretty firmly believe he ruined his reputation at the end of his Bills stint. Then he signed a big money contract with NO and under performed. He's likely viewed very poorly in the NFL community. He won't play if he doesn't want to and didn't play well the last time he laced em up. Not a good recipe to stay in the league where teams are always looking to get younger and cheaper.

I pretty firmly believe he ruined his reputation at the end of his Bills stint. Then he signed a big money contract with NO and under performed. He's likely viewed very poorly in the NFL community. He won't play if he doesn't want to and didn't play well the last time he laced em up. Not a good recipe to stay in the league where teams are always looking to get younger and cheaper.

Probably true but he did get hurt during his first year with the Saints and obviously hasn't been the same since.

If Gilmore continues to look like trash this year with the Pats guarantee he's cut in the offseason and also probably follows a similar path at least in terms of another team taking him seriously and offering him decent money.

And that is the reason why players hold out for the most money...Unless Byrd finds a TV gig, he has to pretty much spend wisely, from that big contract he signed, for the rest of his life

I think this is why Bills haven't over-paid for DBs in our history, which has been pretty smart.

Can he still play? I mean crap I thought he was gone already.

....yet when he was passed over by OBD, the posts extraordinaire were overwhelming about letting him go on BBMB and TBD....and all of THOSE budding GM's are STILL here.....laughable....no mea culpas in sight.......

Jairus Byrd signed a 1 year, $900,000 contract with the Carolina Panthers, including an average annual salary of $900,000. In 2017, Byrd will earn a base salary of $688,235, while carrying a cap hit of $470,294.

Sounds like the right math was used to calculate this. :lol:

It must be vet minimum with a discount cap to encourage signing ?

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-for-2016-and-the-veteran-cap-benefit-rule/

When qualified, a player with four (4) or more years of NFL experience can earn his total minimum salary, but have a cap figure that reflects two years of experience – or in 2016, $600,000.

Edited by ALF