Andy Reid's Principals spill over to Bills

Watching the Chiefs last night was insightful. After the game, Alex Smith was asked about the final minutes and how they pulled the game out. He was quoted as saying that they practice "situational football" repetitively and when the moment comes it is like a motor skill that they are prepared for.

I think this is one of the reasons that the Chiefs, with no real stars, seem to win year in and year out. They are a team that is prepared and has a process to get there.

I believe McD has taken these principals to Buffalo and it is working. Tre White basically had the same answer when asked how he took in the fumble for the touchdown. He used the same words "we practice situational football." He said this is the same thing I do in practice every day. These are habits that breed winning.

Camp Rex was a damn joke. He never had this team disciplined or prepared. He couldn't make an in-game adjustment to save his fat life and certainly never had a game plan that would take advantage of a team's weakness. Rex was bloated with his paycheck and guaranteed money and knew that no matter what, he could ride off into the sunset with Pegs cash and sit on his fat ass for the next three years banking off his failure.

McD is the opposite. He has something to prove and he was raised the right way. He earned his win. Rex had football handed to him from Daddy and never had to work for it.

Buffalo is a blue-collar, roll up your sleeves and work for success town and I am glad we finally have a leader who works hard and demands the same from everyone else in the organization.

I can see this team becoming a KC clone. No stars, just a solid team that wins and is always in the playoff conversation.

GO BILLS!!!!

Edited by BillsRdue

I mean, it's pretty obvious how bad Rex was, and I don't much care to discuss that anymore. Moving on...

Situational football is how you get the wins. 3rd down, red zone, 2 minute drill, etc are the most critical points in games. If you do those well, you will win when it matters.

Hard to say it's a "Reid" thing though, more like most perrenial contender coaches, of which Reid obviously is. Either way, it's a big compliment to McD to be in this conversation, but as you said he still has a lot to prove.

Personally, I know there isn't a large enough sample size to know, but it just feels different to me.

Why do people bring up Rex, most of his team is gone. The new regime is winning during a rebuild, which is impressive. They are probably surprised with the results so far.

Why? Because he deserves to be called out for his blatant disrespect toward this team, it's owners and the city.

Why do people bring up Rex, most of his team is gone. The new regime is winning during a rebuild, which is impressive. They are probably surprised with the results so far.

Because we wasted 2 years...had a decent team when he arrived and he destroyed it...that's why we bring him up

This weekend is the proverbial proof for me. The Bills DSRS is the best in the NFL, while the Bengals OSRS is the 5th worst in the league. They should not score more than 14 points against Buffalo. On the flip side, the Bengals defense has been pretty good. Only the Packers generated more than 300 yards of total offense against them and they have not allowed a 100 yards rusher yet this season. This Sunday's game has all of the hallmarks of Bills teams of the past. Win games you're not supposed to win and lose games you're not supposed to lose. Despite being a 3 point underdog by Vegas standards, I feel like this is a game that they should absolutely win. It should not come down to late game defensive heroics like the Atlanta game.

Its pretty obvious that McDermott, while green as a HC, has seen a lot in his career, and has a pretty good idea of what to do and what not to do. He wasn't some up and coming coach from a losing program or programs. He's been a part of successful teams. He's seen what it takes.

Sometimes it's the little things, not just the "situational football" stuff. Shaking the hands of everyone in the organization as they pass by him in the tunnel may not seem all that important, but the message it sends is just another small part of what he's trying to do here. Changing a culture essentially comes down to wins, but wins don't just happen. They start with the little things, on and off the field.

BTW, is it me, or are the Bills and Chiefs offenses very similar? Both seem deeply rooted in WC principles. Both utilize the option (Taylor is clearly more dangerous as a runner than Smith, but he's still very effective). Both like to run the ball, and get the TEs involved more than the WRs. The only major difference between the two, aside from the talent, is one team has established this as their offense for several years, and one is just now building from it's foundation. The Chiefs O looks like a finely tuned machine, while the Bills have had some issues with blocking schemes and execution. Those two factors are pretty much all that's held them back so far this year on offense.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

This weekend is the proverbial proof for me. The Bills DSRS is the best in the NFL, while the Bengals OSRS is the 5th worst in the league. They should not score more than 14 points against Buffalo. On the flip side, the Bengals defense has been pretty good. Only the Packers generated more than 300 yards of total offense against them and they have not allowed a 100 yards rusher yet this season. This Sunday's game has all of the hallmarks of Bills teams of the past. Win games you're not supposed to win and lose games you're not supposed to lose. Despite being a 3 point underdog by Vegas standards, I feel like this is a game that they should absolutely win. It should not come down to late game defensive heroics like the Atlanta game.

I think this game is going to be much tougher than you think.

A) We are beginning to get hit with some significant injuries

B) The Bengals are playing defense at a very high level

C) Ever since they have fired their OC, they have been on an absolute tear in regards to yards gained, efficiency and points scored

D) They are playing at home

C) Ever since they have fired their OC, they have been on an absolute tear in regards to yards gained, efficiency and points scored

I don't disagree, but this town is mostly indifferent to Bengals games in person these days. I plan on seeing a LOT of blue and white in the stands to help, just like Atlanta. LOTS of tickets still available.

Its the NFL every game is important. Seems like its easy to say this is the most important game of the year this week, every week. Imo this is more crucial than winning in ATL. I thought winning at ATL would be the best win for some national recognition but conference road games are much more important for seeding and standing purposes at the end of the year. The Bengals have a good amount of weapons. There weakness has been their O line. They have a stingy defense as well. Zay is going to have to make a few plays down the field for the Bills to win. He is getting open a good amount but this week he needs to make the big plays that Matthews has been good for this year.

Earlier this season, I had this game as an easy win for the Bills. Now I do not see it that way.

This will be a tough game for the Bills, and a very important one for them, since it's a conference game.

The Bengals have a very tough defense, and now their offense is showing life.

The one thing that gives me confidence in the Bills, is that McDermott will have the team focused. The Bills will not be looking ahead, nor will they take this game lightly.

I don't disagree, but this town is mostly indifferent to Bengals games in person these days. I plan on seeing a LOT of blue and white in the stands to help, just like Atlanta. LOTS of tickets still available.

It would be great to see the Bills Mafia have a major presence there Sunday.

But these are Sean McDermott's Bills. So he decided to call a timeout and remind players what to focus on. It wasn't the magnitude of the moment or the caliber of the opponent. No, McDermott reminded the defensive linemen about the Falcons' tendencies in "21" personnel and to be ready for the hard count. He wanted them to remember everything they had practiced.

"Just understanding the whole situation," Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes said. "We have to understand the situation. I think for us, it was a great refresher for coach to call a timeout so we could go over our cues on our line and really get off the ball and play fast."

The Bills did that, and Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan threw an incomplete pass to allow the Bills to finish off the 23-17 upset. After the Bills went up 20-17, the defense was twice tasked with stopping Ryan and the Falcons' offense. First, Micah Hyde picked off Ryan to help set the Bills up for another field goal. It was Hyde's second interception and Ryan's third turnover. Then the Bills protected the six-point lead by holding strong on fourth down inside the red zone.

"We practice these situations a lot more than we have in the past," Bills defensive tackle Jerel Worthy said. "When we get out there, it feels a little bit more comfortable than it did in the past. To be honest with this team, we attribute our success to preparation. I think we prepare a lot differently. Coach McDermott keeps us on our toes in team meetings. He'll call you out in team meetings and ask a random question about the offense. You have to know the situation and know what the offense is thinking. He just tries to make the game a little slower for us."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/10/buffalo_bills_players_explain_how_sean_mcdermott_changed_preparation_in_2017.html

So what is a DSRS and OSRS, I assume Defense and Offense but what is the rest.

Anyone else worried a little about the special teams coverage last weekend, we could have nearly lost that game to a kickoff return, the second big return of the day for the Falcons.