Matt Ryan: "Bills Mafia is real"

Big Turk

My thing about buffalo and its surrounding areas... When I go to a bar, like everyone feels like the local pub. I can talk to strangers, bartenders, whatever, and everyone's pretty cool.

Try that in most other places and people are weirded out.

Buffalo's got a great atmosphere. Some people did have their jobs move out of state--largely due to NYS taxes. Those folks are the "transplants." I'm a transplant (got transplanted when I was 12 due to Dad's job). A bills fan growing up and living in Steelers land!

Are you guys expecting Bills fans to take over Cincinnati?

I'm expecting to see it. Was going to go w/ a friend of mine, but the Wife is away so I have the kids.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're curious as to where the actual term came from, I believe it stemmed from them signing Nick Barnett in 2011. He tweeted that he thought the fans up here were like a "mafia" and then that Del Reid fella turned it into a hashtag and it picked up steam from there. Del runs 26shirts.com, a charitable organization that creates Bills/Buffalo themed t-shirts with the proceeds going towards local families in need. In recent years they have extended into Pittsburgh and a few other cities, I think.

Actually started before them IIRC. Was after the SJ13 drop and the social medai firestorm of his "God" tweet , that is when Del and a few other fans started using the moniker.

You're both kinda right, but I believe it started when Adam Schefter blocked Del Reid because Del was making fun of Schefter's everybody-already-knows-this tweets with the hashtag #schefterbreakingnews. Fans piled on Schefter for blocking Del and the Mafia was born.

That has not been my experience at all. People all over the country and even the world (with some exceptions I am sure) are very approachable in a setting like that - bars, restaurants, etc.

I can't imagine why you think that is unique to this area. It most certainly is not.

-----------

As far as the economy around Buffalo goes:

Buffalo will be great again economically, if and when there is ever a resurgence in manufacturing around here. Don't hold your breath waiting for it.

That isnt what they are trending towards...we are one of the leaders in Bio informatics with UB/HWI and other institutions playing very important roles there. There is also quite a bit of IT talent here nobody seems to want to recognize(I know, im a programmer). Last time i checked, none of my colleagues were clamoring for a raise because they couldnt afford to pay rent while making 250K like some of the Facebook engineers who were living in their cars were doing...

The old way of how Buffalo succeeded is gone...we must adapt or die. The future isnt in manufacturing its in technology. We have finally started carving out our niche in it.

Edited by matter2003

The fact you ended your post with the most commonly perpetuated myth in Buffalo in the last 5 years explains the ignorance of reality that started your post. Try reading anything on the history of Buffalo (Mark Goldman’s work; Power Failure, etc.) and then report back on whether or not the troubles this city and region faced after WWII is overstated. Do you hold the same comment about Detroit? And because you supposedly have fared well here does not make your argument valid, in fact it’s only an indictment of your blindness to reality and other possibilities. Bethlehem Steel once employed over 25,000 well paid workers with middle class wages. Same with the multitude of other steel and metals related industries. This was a blue collar, get your hands dirty community. You graduated in the 50s, 60s, and 70s and generally went to work at 18. Shipping and warehousing were important as well, starting from the city’s inception through the Canal era and rail eras. It supported our place as a dominant manufacturing region. But those jobs have largely disappeared. People who lost jobs didn’t leave for more money, they left for a job, any job. When Bethlehem and Roblin and Hanna Furnace and Republic closed, those thousands of workers didn’t find their skills valuable here anymore. And when Bethlehem laid off literally thousands on one day, there weren’t 1,000 jobs in other steel factories for them to go get. And the region as a whole struggled to transition to a knowledge and advanced services economy. Which is still a problem today. It’s not like when Bethlehem closed in the early 80s, Microsoft was here willing to employ 1,000 steel workers in computer engineering. An economy over-leveraged in making things can’t simply just flip the switch and become a different economy with the existing human capital. You can’t subsidize your way out of it. Or build your way out of it.

And if you believe the region or city is on the rise, it surprises me not at all given your predisposition to see this place only through your own eyes only and constructed reality. The region just, JUST, got back to the employment level of 2001. So we’ve risen to what? Back to 2001? Does anyone think things were great in 2001? That’s the resurgence? Population in the city has decreased every year since 1950. Yes. Every. Single. Year. How does that work with the resurgence narrative exactly? Regional population is stagnant since 1970. Median household income in the city is a few hundred dollars less today, when adjusted for inflation, than when Byron Brown started in office. We have one of the highest poverty rates in any large cities. Low paying services as a percentage of the overall economy are higher than the national average, meaning we’re creating low end jobs.

But I suspect if you’re doing well and enjoying all the craft beer and hip over-priced eating establishments in the city, you don’t care that those people serving you represent the new jobs in the “new” Buffalo, which is a lot like the old Buffalo.

Shame on you for equating the cool places you get to spend your money at as indicative of a resurgence.

Shame on you for being historically ignorant and for accusing those who left for being driven by money and good weather rather than actually and truly being forced to leave for a job to put food on the table, clothes on their kids’ backs, and pay the bills. You are truly an ahole.

You don't get it, do you? What do you think makes people from all across the country and as far away as Europe root for this team? Their great SB victories? Their constant winning seasons? The overwhelming star power of the players? The people of Western New York, no matter if they live in Tonawanda, Tuscaloosa or Trent On Avon now, created the Bills Mafia. Somebody put a label on it but it began at the Rock Pile. It's a community that transcends borders, religions, skin color, politics and nationality. Don't care who or what you are if you love the Bills you're family. Others see it and want to be part of it and that's how it grew. It has nothing to do with white collars, blue collars, or no collars. Over the years I've followed the Bills on the radio, black and white TV sets, lap tops, at Rich and The Ralph (if I had the money and in the TV department at Wally World if I didn't). There's no greater people on this planet than the original Bills Mafia, the people of Buffalo.

You don't get it, do you? What do you think makes people from all across the country and as far away as Europe root for this team? Their great SB victories? Their constant winning seasons? The overwhelming star power of the players? The people of Western New York, no matter if they live in Tonawanda, Tuscaloosa or Trent On Avon now, created the Bills Mafia. Somebody put a label on it but it began at the Rock Pile. It's a community that transcends borders, religions, skin color, politics and nationality. Don't care who or what you are if you love the Bills you're family. Others see it and want to be part of it and that's how it grew. It has nothing to do with white collars, blue collars, or no collars. Over the years I've followed the Bills on the radio, black and white TV sets, lap tops, at Rich and The Ralph (if I had the money and in the TV department at Wally World if I didn't). There's no greater people on this planet than the original Bills Mafia, the people of Buffalo.

+1

I will never leave

Matt Ryan was on a radio show Monday and he was asked if he noticed how many Bills fans were there. He said he did and was surprised and that "I guess the Bills Mafia is real..."

Haha, yeah we are real and if we have supported a team this well in a 17 year playoff drought, just imagine what is going to happen now when they appear to be turning the corner...

It will be the MOB then!

There is debate as to whether it's too expensive or if people are in the shops and bars, but it really shucks home field advantaage from a team when fans aren't out there making noise.

God I hate the term Bills Mafia, but I guess once a name sticks.....

$200 cover charge. LOL

Yeah I hate the mafia name too. But it is real.

What is Bills Mafia born from? Love of the Bills or lack of jobs in Buffalo forcing relocation?

pretty much the latter. for example, there are 10s of thousands of WNYers in the DC area where I live, all of whom have grown children now who are Bills fans...

with 30++ years of out-migration, the math is that there must be more Bills fans outside Erie County than inside right now

Edited by 8-8 Forever?

I am a transplant to the south (VA Beach). There are many things I miss about living up there. My commute does suck, the food sucks, sometimes i miss the snow, my small house would be a very large house in WNY, and my job pays about the same as up there. However, taxes are cheaper, gas is cheaper, my small house is a 1/2 mile from the ocean, and I coached Bruce's son here, I coached Justin Hunter too (track not football) I miss alot but I do love it here, I run into a different Bills fan every month here and I we instantly have a bond.

Eric Wood said Falcons had to go with silent cadence. At home. Thats yuge.

I hadn't heard that...but it's AWESOME! After this post, things start to turn south, sadly.... Some people are very defensive. I loved living in WNY. Because I'm not still there does not make me evil. Life happens.

Funny I have had no issue finding well paying jobs here...

I think that was largely overblown. They are not "forced" to relocate...they want to either because they think they can make more money, better weather whatever. Sadly many find that isn't the case...Making an extra 20K and then paying double the mortgage for a smaller house, much higher food prices and having much worse commutes that eat up gas and an overall higher cost of living are leaving many to realize too late that net income is far more important than gross income...ie, many people would have more money left over in Buffalo than they do elsewhere...which is why a lot of people have been moving back lately...

Those jabs and snubs are largely false these days, but some people are still too blind to open their eyes up to reality. Buffalo is on the rise.

People relocate for various reasons. It used to be work,and weather but Buffalo has been rebounding with very high paying professional jobs.

The area I have a home in sees property sales in excess of 1 million because of these professions and homes are not on the market for very long.

Weather is a big factor for transplants.

Funny I have had no issue finding well paying jobs here...

I think that was largely overblown. They are not "forced" to relocate...they want to either because they think they can make more money, better weather whatever. Sadly many find that isn't the case...Making an extra 20K and then paying double the mortgage for a smaller house, much higher food prices and having much worse commutes that eat up gas and an overall higher cost of living are leaving many to realize too late that net income is far more important than gross income...ie, many people would have more money left over in Buffalo than they do elsewhere...which is why a lot of people have been moving back lately...

Those jabs and snubs are largely false these days, but some people are still too blind to open their eyes up to reality. Buffalo is on the rise.

This isnt the case, but sure.

Buffalo has a long way to go before you could claim it to be on the rise. I live in a pretty poor area of Florida and I make double what I made in Buffalo. Just some perspective. And some, not most, people move home because of attachments. Some people cant cope with moving away from home, or dealing with change, or you know: family. It has nothing to do with being on the rise lol.

Thats like claiming the 4am last call helps Buffalos tourism lmao

there's lots of high paying jobs. that myth is about as old as Buffalo gets a lot of snow. i used my snow blower 3 times last year

Compared to what?

Limited job opportunity in WNY is not a myth friend.

This isnt the case, but sure.

Buffalo has a long way to go before you could claim it to be on the rise. I live in a pretty poor area of Florida and I make double what I made in Buffalo. Just some perspective. And some, not most, people move home because of attachments. Some people cant cope with moving away from home, or dealing with change, or you know: family. It has nothing to do with being on the rise lol.

Thats like claiming the 4am last call helps Buffalos tourism lmao

You are probably preaching to the wrong crowd. It's tough to convince WNY lifers that there is life outside of WNY or that it might be radically different/better in differing ways.

There is more high paying job opportunity in a 3 mile stretch of the Dulles Corridor (30 miles long) than there likely is in all of Erie County. And that's just heading in 1 direction out of Washington, DC, to speak nothing of the I-270 Biotech corridor, all of Arlington/Alexandria, the District itself, on and on and on and on.

I mention DC only b/c I lived there for 13 years and know it well. And DC is what? the 16th largest market in the USA?

Edited by Fadingpain