Matt Ryan: "Bills Mafia is real"

Big Turk

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you probably haven't heard that recently because there haven't been any major industry closures recently (that come to mind). However, 20 + years ago, there absolutely were lots of people leaving the Buffalo and WNY area because they couldn't find decent work.

In order to lose industry, you have to have it first. And there isn't a lot of industry (at least not big industry) left around here.

Here is the sad truth about WNY. Look at the top employers in the area.

# Employer # of Employees 1 State of New York 15,123 2 Federal Executive Board (United States of America) 11,183 3 Kaleida Health 10,000 4 University at Buffalo 6,733 5 Catholic Health System 6,628 6 Employer Services Corp 6,363 7 M&T Bank 5,140 8 Tops Markets 5,058 9 Buffalo City School District 4,949 10 Erie County 4,203

40% of the people on that list work for the government.

In other words, the biggest and most dominant industry in Buffalo is government by far and it is not even close. = SAD :thumbdown:

And that doesn't even include Buffalo City Schools (funded by government) or UB (large government funding also).

WNY is a Mecca for government workers. And if it wasn't for that government money in Buffalo right now, this area would be nearly destitute. You'd be a farmer or you would starve.

Compare that to a city like Charlotte NC for example:

# Employer # of Employees 1 Carolinas Healthcare System 35,000 2 Wells Fargo 22,000 3 Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools 18,143 4 Walmart 16,100 5 Bank of America 15,000 6 Lowe's 12,960 7 Novant Health 11,000 8 American Airlines 10,600 9 Harris Teeter 8,239 10 Duke Energy 7,800

All private sector except for the schools.

When you compare Buffalo to other cities, economically, Buffalo is a complete joke. That is also why there are thousands of vacant homes and part of the reason for nationally low housing prices.

Your list is old---just from private sector updated to 2017:

Kaleida Health: 10,000

Catholic Health: 7918

M&T Bank: 7500

Seneca Gaming Corp: 4000

Tops Markets: 3942

Wegmans: 3393

Roswell Park: 3035

Geico: 2750

HSBC: 2700

Moog: 2600

As a computer programmer, I have had ZERO issue finding a job here. ZERO...NONE...NADA...ZIP...

In fact, I could change jobs every 3 months if I wanted to with the number of recruiters that call me on a weekly basis.

Maybe the issue is people with a lack of in-demand skills are crying about having no non-skilled jobs available instead of actually figuring out ways to obtain in-demand skills where those job sectors are hiring(constantly) instead?

Like anything else in the world, adapt or die.

Edited by matter2003

You're not a real traveler until you've driven to the 3 biggest cities in Ohio. You should check out Toledo while its still a bit of a secret. The three Cs (Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati) are overrun with tourists at this point. They may as well be Disney Land.

I've been to pretty much every corner of Ohio...

Your list is old---just from private sector updated to 2017:

Kaleida Health: 10,000

Catholic Health: 7918

M&T Bank: 7500

Seneca Gaming Corp: 4000

Tops Markets: 3942

Wegmans: 3393

Roswell Park: 3035

Geico: 2750

HSBC: 2700

Moog: 2600

You left government jobs off your list entirely. Paints a substantially different picture that happens to be very misleading. (You mus have experience working in politics?)

Government is the number one employer in the Buffalo area, and it is not even close. Government employs more than twice as many people as the largest private sector employer.

The ratio of high paying Private sector jobs vs. high paying Public sector jobs in Buffalo is a joke. That is why government work around here is considered an excellent job - while in other areas of the country - and even other areas of this state - people take government jobs as a last resort and aren't proud of it.

You left government jobs off your list entirely. Paints a substantially different picture that happens to be very misleading. (You mus have experience working in politics?)

Government is the number one employer in the Buffalo area, and it is not even close. Government employs more than twice as many people as the largest private sector employer.

The ratio of high paying Private sector jobs vs. high paying Public sector jobs in Buffalo is a joke. That is why government work around here is considered an excellent job - while in other areas of the country - and even other areas of this state - people take government jobs as a last resort and aren't proud of it.

Austin, Texas big military town. San Diego too.

Of the top 10 employers in Erie County. Numbers 1, 2, 8 and 10 are government/public sector.

http://www2.erie.gov/index.php?q=erie-county-overview

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Funny I have had no issue finding well paying jobs here...

I think that was largely overblown. They are not "forced" to relocate...they want to either because they think they can make more money, better weather whatever. Sadly many find that isn't the case...Making an extra 20K and then paying double the mortgage for a smaller house, much higher food prices and having much worse commutes that eat up gas and an overall higher cost of living are leaving many to realize too late that net income is far more important than gross income...ie, many people would have more money left over in Buffalo than they do elsewhere...which is why a lot of people have been moving back lately...

Those jabs and snubs are largely false these days, but some people are still too blind to open their eyes up to reality. Buffalo is on the rise.

I think that this was true (lack of jobs) 20 or 30 years ago, maybe even 10 years ago. Many left a long time ago for education and jobs and ended up settled elsewhere, established careers elsewhere, met their spouses and started families elsewhere, etc. I am one of those people. I have always loved Buffalo, always will, visit annually, etc. Both my wife (who is not from WNY) and I love it and would love to live and raise a family there, but we are established elsewhere and cannot make the move at this point in our lives. We have to rely on visiting friends, Sunday Ticket, and Two Bills Drive!

That has not been my experience at all. People all over the country and even the world (with some exceptions I am sure) are very approachable in a setting like that - bars, restaurants, etc.

I can't imagine why you think that is unique to this area. It most certainly is not.

-----------

As far as the economy around Buffalo goes:

Buffalo will be great again economically, if and when there is ever a resurgence in manufacturing around here. Don't hold your breath waiting for it.

I am sure you are already aware of this but there is a resurgence of manufacturing coming back to the states. Companies are finding that the people of China that have been working for pennies a day in crap conditions are starting to say enough and want to be paid better and be able to work in better conditions making it more expensive to manufacture there. Problem is we live in NYS where your taxed the living Shiznit out of. Manufacturing companies are not going to come back to NY for short lived tax breaks that NY is handing out when they can get better deals in other states.