Preston Brown on Sirius XM Blitz 10/2

stevewin

Bruce Murray and Brady Quinn

Before season did you really believe you could be sitting atop the division, considering the Patriots** being there?

PB: Yeah, it was definitely our goal. You always want to win each quarter of the season, and starting out the first quarter 3-1 is a great job on our part, but we know we have a long way to go. We’re not going to get complacent or anything like that, we’ve got to find a way to go to Cinn who just got a big win, so we got a big test this week

With all offseason moves, what was the mindset of this football team collectively coming into this season. Did you get the sense that the organization was sending a message, that it was all about rebuilding over success in 2017?

PB: I think that was the outside perception, but I think with all the trades and when some of the ‘star-power’ started to leave it made us become more of a team. We knew we couldn’t depend on ‘OK, Sammy can catch a 70 yard pass’ or stuff like that, we’ll have to move the ball down the field, run it, play action, and we’re doing a great job with it. On defense, we’ve got a great rookie going out there and doing his thing, and another good guy in the trade EJ Gaines – we’ve got a lot of guys who are stepping up. The secondary’s playing well, the safeties we picked up in free agency, so I think we did things well for this year, and I think it’s starting to pay off

Biggest difference defensively from what you were doing last year and this year?

PB: Last year we did more the 3-4 thing, Now we’re in the 4-3. More simple. Just line up and play. Guys are playing fast and having more fun. We don’t do as many exotic coverages as last year, do things to just let guys make plays – we’ve got a lot of interceptions and lead the league in pass breakups, the guys are doing a great job on the back end

How much did losing Jones and Sanu affect what they could do offensively?

PB: Definitely challenged them. We had him doubled on a couple plays and Julio was still catching balls. When he was out of there we didn’t have to do as many things to worry about the deep threat, but they still did a great job moving the ball, they ran the ball for too many yards, so they found ways to have success but we found ways to get off the field with takeaways and the stops and credit to the coaches for getting the right calls in

Tyrod franchise guy, long term answer?

PB: Definitely. He’s gone out there and played well. 2-time Pro Bowl guy, but we haven’t had the wins and that’s what goes on with franchise quarterbacks – you’ve gotta have the wins and that’s what we’re starting to do – it’s a team effort and we’ve got to find a way to win more games and that’s what we’re starting to do – so then I think he’ll get more recognition and the credit he deserves

What did you think was going to be call after review of Ryan fumble?

PB: I thought it was going to get over-turned, that’s just the kind of luck we’ve had here. I was just excited that Jerry got the ball out and we got to keep the touchdown

Bengals?

PB: Good receivers, AJ Green, 3 headed monster at RB – going to be a tough challenge for us. Dalton had 4 TDS and was the lead rusher and was finding ways to get out of the pocket and do different things – I think he missed only 5 throws. They are going to have confidence coming home so we have to find a way to get a big win on the road

McD young coach / What was it like after game, seems to be a lot of enthusiasm in Buffalo

PB: Exciting locker room, everybody jumping around and having fun. It was a great win, and it all started on Monday like Coach said we prepared for it and went out and had success. Having a younger coach, I don’t know how old he is – I know he’s not as young as the guy in LA – but he’s always excited, having us do different things to bring competition up, play video games, do things to just have fun – it’s been really great having coach in town

< Brady Quinn then let’s PB know they share the same birthday 10/27 >

BTW, before the interview Brady Quinn basically said the Bills won because Jones and Sanu got hurt and wouldn’t have otherwise. Murray stuck up for the Bills – said in this league every team has to play without guys who get injured. The Bills played Broncos last week, who didn’t lose because of injuries, the Bills beat them. Early in the game, when Jones and Sanu were playing, the Bills still were doing a good job against them. Bills were dealing with some injuries as well, Bills are 3-1 and sit atop the AFC East and deserve some accolades for that.

Thanks for the recap Steve. :thumbsup:

McD has the team prepared and focused, for example Shareece Wright and Milano had jump on the field on a very difficult moment of the game trying to stop Ryan and did fairly well. They will need to step up going forwards. Next man up, as they say.

PB: Last year we did more the 3-4 thing, Now we’re in the 4-3. More simple. Just line up and play. Guys are playing fast and having more fun. We don’t do as many exotic coverages as last year, do things to just let guys make plays – we’ve got a lot of interceptions and lead the league in pass breakups, the guys are doing a great job on the back end

Must be nice to not have your coach calling you dumb.

Must be nice to not have your coach calling you dumb.

He(Wrex) might be a secret/special advisor in NE,they look as confused as the Bills did last year ;)

BTW great interview PB,you can tell these guys bought in early.