We as fans are panicking over the WR position.......

njbuff

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we're already at 31st in passing, scraping the bottom of the league like last year, only this year we have even more unknowns at WR and less depth with no hope of a "star" talent like Watkins or a solid WR like Woods returning from injury in time to help make a playoff push. Our leaders in receptions are our TE & RB. Our 2nd round pick is a WR averaging 1 catch a game (who also drops at least 1 catch a game). We don't have a possession WR we can count on to get a crucial reception. We don't have that slot guy with hands who can pick up that 1st down on 3rd and 5. Our QB overthrows a few WIDE open WR's a game. Yes, I'm a bit panicked, but it doesn't mean I don't have hope.

I'm glad Tyrod isn't turning it over, I'm glad Clay is stepping up, I'm glad the Defense & kicker are winning us games. But man, this offense looks so unbelievably inept sometimes. Our running game has gotten worse, our pass protection has gotten worse, Tyrod seems ready to scramble much sooner (mainly because he's worried about the poor pass protection, as he should be), and we average under 200 yards passing a game.

Our Defense has been phenomenal though. If they EVER have an off game, you know our offense will not pick up the slack. If we ever get behind 2 TD's, how much faith do you have in this offense to bring us back? If our D isn't keeping the game nail-bitingly close, how likely is it our offense will put a team away? The Texans & their rookie QB Watson put the hammer down last week and DOMINATED. Do you EVER see Tyrod & Co. doing that? I know I sound very negative, but we've seen these 3-1 or 5-2 starts before (with the latter also including a home win against the Patriots), yet we crumble down the stretch once opposing teams have tape on us.

So far, they know all they have to do is stop the run, and our offense can't carry the load. The only thing they have to plan around is how to break through our Defense. Again, if our Defense ever has an off day, the game can get out of control FAST.

Get ready for a Zay Jones break out game!!!!

3 catches, 40 yards & zero drops would be a breakout game for Zay Jones at this point.

This is where I'm still irked by the Watkins trade, a trade that was made for our "future". Well guess what we are 3-1 at present and Watkins was back to 100% for the first time since perhaps his rookie year? It would be hard for me to believe that we wouldn't have won the Carolina game with Sammy in there and there's no doubt we would be in much better shape right now. Not to mention, that Rams pick is looking closer to a 3rd rounder than a low 1st.... I love what the Bills are doing on the field, but that trade will never stop bothering me, especially after this..

And by the way wasn't this such a Bills thing to have happen? Come out of Atlanta with the best win we've had in at least a few years, but instead of being able to fully enjoy it, we have to worry about having no wide receivers by Week 5 yet again!

Edited by BobBelcher

But McBeane doesn't seem too concerned about it.

They even released Powell after his suspension was up.

How do you feel about it? Are we overreacting? Are they concerned behind the scenes?

Seems like Taylor is working with the same kind of WR corps as last year, but with a much more productive and healthy Clay.

We threw for 182 yards on Sunday against the SB runner up, if we keep playing unbelievable defense, not let Taylor throw much, run the ball, manage the clock, we have a chance, Taylor doesn't win games with his arm anyways so were ok, now if we lose Clay then that's a different story.

This is where I'm still irked by the Watkins trade, a trade that was made for our "future". Well guess what we are 3-1 at present and Watkins was back to 100% for the first time since perhaps his rookie year? It would be hard for me to believe that we wouldn't have won the Carolina game with Sammy in there and there's no doubt we would be in much better shape right now. Not to mention, that Rams pick is looking closer to a 3rd rounder than a low 1st.... I love what the Bills are doing on the field, but that trade will never stop bothering me, especially after this..

And by the way wasn't this such a Bills thing to have happen? Come out of Atlanta with the best win we've had in at least a few years, but instead of being able to fully enjoy it, we have to worry about having no wide receivers by Week 5 yet again!

Also, while we all have to be happy with the TreDavious White pick, the 1st round pick we got from Kansas City may be very late in the round.

We threw for 182 yards on Sunday against the SB runner up, if we keep playing unbelievable defense, not let Taylor throw much, run the ball, manage the clock, we have a chance, Taylor doesn't win games with his arm anyways so were ok, now if we lose Clay then that's a different story.

The 182 yards are not significant being against Atlanta. The Falcons did not make it to the Super Bowl because of their defense. They won many close high-scoring games last season.

Anybody feels/knows there is a chance Aquan Boldin might come back from retirement? If so, has he practiced at all, and how long would it take for him to get up to speed?

---

Long time reader here, but... my first post! So I'll take the opportunity to "Hi all" and "thanks for the many years of sharing you opinions, advice, and passion".

Edited by RichardLee

Digging into their depth is all part of what McDermott calls life in the NFL.

"We're certainly facing adversity. We've faced adversity before. This is only got to make us stronger," he said. "This where leaders and leadership has to step up and get in front of it, out to the forefront of things. That's what good teams do.

Odds are they'll move Reilly up. Tate will be active. And they'll play more two or three TE sets with O'Leary and Thomas.

For the doom and gloom among you who keep saying what if the D starts playing bad, or what if Shady gets hurt or what if, what if, what if:

What if they don't? What if the D continues to play well? What if Hauschka keeps kicking so well? What is the offense continues to protect the ball and be efficient? The best thing about the last two weeks in my opinion were the long sustained drives the offense made that took so much time off the clock. And those against some pretty good defenses.

It's the NFL. Guys get hurt. Other guys have to step up. Let's just see how it plays out next week. Game at a time.

This offensive scheme doesn't need 2 1,000 yd WRs. The TE (Charles Clay) and RB (LeSean McCoy) get a lot of passes thrown to them and need to produce. This is the best Clay has looked as a Bill.

One of the receivers needs to step up and produce in Matthews place. This is a great opportunity for Zay Jones.

Anybody feels/knows there is a chance Aquan Boldin might come back from retirement? If so, has he practiced at all, and how long would it take for him to get up to speed?

---

Long time reader here, but... my first post! So I'll take the opportunity to "Hi all" and "thanks for the many years of sharing you opinions, advice, and passion".

Welcome tho the board.

I honestly don't think Anquan has much left to offer this team besides leadership in the locker room. His only preaseason game as a Bill showed a man who has lost several steps.

Can you imagine if Whaley had drafted Zay Jones? A 2nd round WR who, apparently, is incapable of catching passes that don't hit the numbers.

He technically did, lol, but I get your point. If he was still at OBD it would have been a bloodbath on this site. McD is still getting the new coach treatment from the fans/press on that one, but he would be getting killed if the Bills were 1-3 vs 3-1.

I think fans are overreacting a little bit.

Yes, the Bills have virtually nothing at WR. But they had nothing the previous 4 games. At this point, I'm not sure it's really going to make a big difference.

1. Teams are already keying 100% on our running game. We are constantly facing 7-8 men in the box, so it's not really possible for defenses to focus even MORE on stopping our run game. Everybody knows we are going to run the ball 75% of the time, and this team's success will continue to ride on the shoulders of Lesean McCoy. Nothing changes.

2. Tyrod Taylor hasn't been throwing to the receivers much anyway. His main target has been Charles Clay, by a long shot. As I mentioned above, I don't see teams putting more emphasis on covering Clay (even with Jordan Matthews out), because they will still be focused primarily on McCoy. Nothing changes.

3. If the defense has a bad game, we are going to lose. Even with Matthews in the lineup. Even if we sign or trade for somebody. This team is not capable of getting in a shootout, so there is no point worrying about it. Just hope the defense continues to be strong each week. Nothing changes.

Edited by mjt328

But McBeane doesn't seem too concerned about it.

They even released Powell after his suspension was up.

How do you feel about it? Are we overreacting? Are they concerned behind the scenes?

Seems like Taylor is working with the same kind of WR corps as last year, but with a much more productive and healthy Clay.

Panicking over any sports team you don't own or manage is an over reaction.

Even being very worried about the WR situation seems unwarranted given the 3-1 start and quality of the wins. Let's see what they come up with next week against a relatively desperate and talented Cinci

I just hope he can catch the ball.. He looks so awkward on the field stumbling around

He really does remind me of Bambi on ice. Going to be good though. Just getting pushed up the depth chart early.