We as fans are panicking over the WR position.......

njbuff

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is panicking? Not really, we do need help though.

Have you seen our starting WR's though? Easily the worst group is the league without Mathews.

Obviously someone hasnt seen the Browns.

Even with the struggling recieving corps we are still beating elite teams. We should only get better. Eventually Zay will start to catch the balls thrown his way and he will get better with more reps at this level. Think Reilly can be called up and be a Thielen type player for us. McDermott is a big fan of next man up so im sure we will look in house to replace Matthews

Tyrod doesn't throw to WRs anyway.....at least through this point in the season. Not sure how much they are really concerned about it. With the amount of targets these guys are getting, maybe they think they can just stick anyone in there and have similar production.

That said, I really want a good, fast WR on this team. Would not only open up the passing game, but maybe help clear the box a bit to get this run game going again.

As others have said, he doesn't have any! Most times they can't get open, and when they do, they can't catch. :rolleyes:

A couple of years ago, KC went through an entire season without Alex Smith throwing a TD pass to his WRs, and everybody figured Smith was just a check-down sort of guy. Fast forward to 2017 when the Chiefs actually have some speedy, sure-hand wideouts and guess what ... Smith is throwing to them down field!! :doh:

No it's not an overreaction. Powell is likely no great shakes. They needed an upgrade before Matthews injury. WP wasn't likely to bring a modicum of improvement. I hope they are concerned behind the scenes. What I've seen to date leads me to believe they are not and will simply bring up a practice squad WR with zero NFL catches. I'm not sure what their goal is for this season regardless of the 3-1 record.

I'm afraid I have to agree. IMO, the FO is focused on improving the profit margin which is why they traded Watkins this season rather than just letting him play out his rookie contract. They were never going to pay him market rate which is why they didn't pick up his fifth year option, but by trading him and then trading for Matthews they saved a considerable amount in 2017 salary since Watkins was a top 5 pick in his draft class.

This gets me thinking about the Watkins trade again. I absolutely despised it at the time. Still hate it. But one interesting fact that gets overlooked about it is that our total wins line in Vegas didn't move at all after the trade. So the people who do this professionally think either:

1. Taylor isn't that good

2. Watkins isn't that good

3. The wide receiver position isn't that important

I think they're both really good so it's probably #3.

Obviously someone hasnt seen the Browns.

Even with the struggling recieving corps we are still beating elite teams. We should only get better. Eventually Zay will start to catch the balls thrown his way and he will get better with more reps at this level. Think Reilly can be called up and be a Thielen type player for us. McDermott is a big fan of next man up so im sure we will look in house to replace Matthews

Not really and your the 2nd one to point out the Browns.

SO...

To date Browns WR's have 35 catches for 454yds

To date the Bills WR's have 21 catches for 282yds *Without Mathews, Bills WR's have 11 catches for 120yds

Yeah again, the Bills easily have the Worst WR corp in the NFL without Mathews.

Edited by Real McCoy

Not really and your the 2nd one to point out the Browns.

SO...

To date Browns WR's have 35 catches

To date the Bills WR's have 21 catches without Mathews 11.

Yeah again, the Bills easily have the Worst WR corp in the NFL without Mathews.

please review # of targets to get the full picture. Or, watch a Browns game. But the former is much less painful on the eyes.

But McBeane doesn't seem too concerned about it.

They even released Powell after his suspension was up.

How do you feel about it? Are we overreacting? Are they concerned behind the scenes?

Seems like Taylor is working with the same kind of WR corps as last year, but with a much more productive and healthy Clay.

YOU may be panicking. Yes, they suck, but I've been at this a long time. I will just drink my way through it, then wait until they address it, which they will. It won't be a strength THIS year. I promise.

Maybe they are trying to swing a trade?

I seriously doubt they give up a single pick for anybody, unless you can get Jerry Rice in his prime for a 5th or lower.

please review # of targets to get the full picture. Or, watch a Browns game. But the former is much less painful on the eyes.

So discredit the Browns for actually throwing the Ball to WR's? Yeah their WR's have about 50 extra targets among the core of them through the 1st 4 games, I've seen all the stats I need to.

And Again, the Bills have the worst WR core in the NFL without Mathews. No-one here will change my mind on that either. Our current #1 WR has 4 catches on 17 targets for 57 yards through 4 games. What are you not seeing here?

I can't stomach a Browns game. And by no means am I saying their WR core is great either. Look at us though, we are in rough shape right now.

Edited by Real McCoy

So discredit the Browns for actually throwing the Ball to WR's? Yeah their WR's have about 50 extra targets among the core of them through the 1st 4 games, I've seen all the stats I need to.

And Again, the Bills have the worst WR core in the NFL without Mathews. No-one here will change my mind on that either. Our current #1 WR has 4 catches on 17 targets for 57 yards through 4 games. What are you not seeing here?

the Bills don't have a good WR group. However I've watched both and the Browns WRs are much worse. They do not even try to catch the ball or run full routes. Its my opinion and I'm not trying to change your mind. Just stating what I see.

Id like the Bills to look to trade for a decent WR . Were 3-1 and playing well. I like Brandon Reilly but not sure hes ready for prime time. When Matthews gets back he will have his slot role back in 4 or 5 weeks. In a perfect world we can cut Holmes on week 9 or 10 and get our third round comp pick too. Then resign Holmes the following week.

Is there a legit #2 WR, who can fill in as our #1 WR, who can be had in the next week or so via trade? We have picks stocked up.

pierre garçon? Trying to think of bad teams who might do a trade since they are out of it. Edited by YoloinOhio