Got a lead, lost a lead

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact is that in a 16 game season in a league with 32 teams ties are all but inevitable and that is just math. I don't have time at the moment but I will bet if you look back at last year's final standings, there is a team that lost a tiebreaker and a division title or WC spot because they had too many victories against the opposite conference.

It has nothing to do with too many wins against the NFC.

It's because they didn't a better winning percentage against the AFC. You don't get penalized for winning.

No how does it hurt us?

This should explain. Last year in the NFL, eliminating sub .500 teams, there were 13 teams whose records matched that of at least one other team in their conference. So clearly tiebreakers play a major role.

A 16 game season makes this a virtual certainty. If you went to say 24 games it would probably mean less but I just don't see that happening. You could go to a baseball style one game playoff but that could really mess with scheduling as baseball is played daily but football is played weekly. I think the tiebreaker is here to stay and as such. losses to the opposing conference help.

I know I wasn't born yesterday, but last time I checked wins were considered a good thing.

Wait, so 2-2 is better than/tied with 3-1?

Can someone break this down for me in simple terms?

sure...the OP thinks the world is flat

Edited by JaCrispy

I enjoyed yesterday's win as much as anyone. I also enjoyed yesterday's Pats loss A LOT.

With that said, yesterday wasn't all good news. We entered the day with a distinct advantage against the Pats in tiebreaker scenarios. We exited the day in a flat footed tie with them. Our win against Atlanta was impressive and I think it bodes well for the Bills. But a win against an NFC team hurts when it comes to breaking ties. It is only week four so I don't want to make a big deal but NE had a bad win against NO earlier in the year which when coupled with our loss to the Panthers gave us an edge. Yesterday erased that because NE's NFC loss helps them.

The good news is that they are a division team so we have a chance to sweep them. If not, we could split and then sweep the Jets and Dolphins and be at least tied with them. Before yesterday we would have won a tie breaker, now it would move on to another metric. Still, it is better that the Pats lost to the Panthers than say when the Steelers lost to the Bears last week. That one hurt. The Chiefs losing to the Skins tonight might seem bad but it doesn't really matter that much as we play the Chiefs head to head. We don't play the Steelers so we are behind them. I hope they win their division.

I get it. Really.

You have to lose the war to win the war.

​Unless US beats you which is a win at the end of the day. Ask England Japan Germany etc etc......

Boy, you really gotta search the books to be pessimistic enough to find a negative about beating an elite team in their own house.

You know what's more impkrtant than tie breakers? Wins.

But, you know, you can't please all of the people all of the time, or maybe can't please the OP ever.

Some people just don't know how to react after 17 years. It's like when fans loudly cheer for the offense on 3rd down. It's good natured, but is the opposite of how you're supposed to act.