Any previous teams Bills team reminds you of? I've got one.

Was going to say the same.

Re: 1988 Bills - I can't see that. I wish I could, but ... no. Potential franchise QB in place? No. Superb young talents like Cornelius Bennett and Thurman? No. This is much more of a patched together group of veterans in which the leading talents are in their late primes (McCoy, Hughes, Kyle, Wood, Glenn, umm, Dareus) that is poised for an infusion of new talent starting next year and beyond. Right now the only obvious keeper among the young (team controlled) talent is Tre White. Now if you'd said 1987 Bills? I hope when we look back on this season in a few years we'll be able to make that comparison ...

Here's a more sobering one: 2005 Chicago Bears. Kyle Orton. Lovie Smith. #1 defense. It wasn't a dynasty in the making. But they made the Super Bowl the following year ....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1999 Bills team... inconsistent QB play, a really solid defensive minded coach, and an awesome defense that just made play after play after play.

Sure the 1999 Bills had a couple of Hall of Famers, but this team very well could have a couple if McDermott is the real deal. We shall see.

I'd have to agree that he is only average and overpaid for 2017 and 2018 but after that he becomes a bargain. From ESPN Rodak in May 2016:

Well he isn't. Since Glenn has been in the league there is a group of 6 left tackles who have been consistent franchise level Left Tackles. They are:

Andrew Whitworth (CIN/LA)

Tyron Smith (DAL)

Trent Williams (WAS)

Jason Peters (PHI)

Cordy Glenn (BUF)

Joe Thomas (CLE)

There are other guys who have had a great year... but the left tackle position is about consistency and Glenn is in that company for a reason. He is really good. The two guys of those who have come into the league since then who have demonstrated that same level of consistency since being drafted are Taylor Lewan (TEN) and Terron Armstead (NO) though Armstead in particular has had real trouble staying healthy and has missed many more games than Cordy Glenn. Glenn is in my view a top 6 or 7 LT - the numbers in terms of pressures and sacks allowed support that, the ranking sites whether PFF or Football Outsiders support that.

Now that does not mean I am down on Dion Dawkins. I thought this was his best game as a Bill and he is learning quickly - though not facing Vic Beasley definitely helped! I think at this stage Dion is happier on the left than the right but once Cordy is healthy he is our left tackle, let's flip Dion out to RT and see how that looks. My personal view is that the best long term approach might be Cordy at LT and Dion as Richie's successor at LG (where I think he could play).

Edited by GunnerBill

1988 Bills.

Agree. The 88 season was one of the more enjoyable seasons for the Bills. Low expectations, yet they pulled off gritty wins for a 12-4 record and just one end zone fist fight away from the super bowl. Favorite quote in the D&C, "Smerlis Blocks Out The Past." for his field goal block in the Jets game to clinch a playoff berth.