THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Bills Fans Celebrate Big Road Win

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

Bills Fans Celebrate Big Road Win

Matt Ryan’s fourth down pass fell incomplete and the Falcons fans headed for the exits. The Bills fans, of course, stood cheering as Tyrod Taylor took a knee twice and stood cheering as the Bills celebrated on the field.

The way out of Mercedes Benz Stadium from the upper deck on the side of field is a series of about 20 ramps, each with a 180 hairpin turn on the next ramp. So as fans filed out, they could see the faces of fans ahead of them before they made the turn and the faces of fans behind them after they made the turn. Sunday, since a lot Falcons fans left the stadium before the Bills fans did, the crowd on the ramps after the game ended was maybe 50-50 Bills and Falcon fans.

It took at least 15 minutes to walk down the ramps. All the way, the concrete walls around the ramps echoed with Bills cheers. Loud, really loud. Non-stop cheering, singing, smiling at each other, high fives.

I caught myself feeling sorry for the silent Falcons fans. Then I thought, “wait a minute! I’ve spent 15 years listening to fans of OTHER teams celebrating like that after leaving Ralph Wilson Stadium, and now it’s OUR turn.” I enjoyed every minute of it. I was laughing and cheering, and there were tears in my eyes. It’s been a long time coming.

On Sunday the Bills put together another workmanlike win, this time on the road against last season’s Super Bowl almost-winners. It was the best road win against a quality opponent in who knows how long? Just like last week at home against Denver, the Bills didn’t back into this win, they earned it. They did their jobs.

Yes, Atlanta was banged up coming into the game, and they lost Julio Jones and Mohamed Sanu during the game. But they have an All-Star quarterback, they’re a good team, and they were at home. They couldn’t beat the Bills.

Yes, the Bills got the benefit of some oh-so-close calls, one on White’s fumble recovery for a touchdown and one on Hyde’s interception. But you know what? If you make plays, you’re going to get your share of calls. The Bills made the plays, they got the calls. Take advantage of the opportunities the game gives you. The Bills did that, and they don’t have to apologize to anyone.

1. Stephen Hauschka. Talk about doing your job. Watch him practice. Before every kickoff, without the ball, he takes a full run up and half swing with his leg. Then he approaches the tee slowly and practices his approach with his leg, stopping just before the tee. Every time, same routine. On third down, with a time out of the field, he ran onto the field and practiced the kick he’d have to make if the Bills didn’t get the fourth down. The guy is working on his kicking all the time. Oh, and he’s something else from long range. What a weapon!

2. Zay Jones. Yes, it’s in his head now. Killer drop on the long ball on what was a routine NFL catch. Sure was good to see him make the catch on that comeback route up the sideline later in the game. Easy catch, but it could be the catch that starts to get him back on track.

3. The Falcons fans. No wonder players like playing in Buffalo. The Atlanta fan performance was, in a word, pitiful. What were all those empty seats between the goal lines in the lower bowl? Where WERE those people? The crowd made a lot of noise on about three third downs, the rest of the time it sounded like a Bills home game in Toronto.

The Falcons play this glitzy, really well-done video with Samuel L. Jackson trying to fire up the crowd. Yes, that Samuel L. Jackson. It’s loud, very loud. Everyone watches the video with interest, but no one makes any noise. When the video ends, the stadium is more or less silent. No one seems to get the message.

From the upper deck, it sounded like the Bills fans were louder on many third downs than the Falcons fans. The Bills let the fans know they could hear it.

4. Tyrod Taylor. Took one or two avoidable sacks. Overthrew a couple of deep balls. But so long as the guy is completing 60% of his passes for over 8 yards per attempt, so long as he doesn’t turn the ball over, we’ll take it. Great deep ball to Clay, nice throw up the sideline to Zay, beautiful read of the defense on the TD to Matthews. He’s doing his job.

5. Sean McDermott. It’s obvious every week. McDermott expects his defense to win the game, and he expects his offense not to lose it. The Bills went up 14-10 on the fumble return, then got an interception. They followed with a 19-play, 11-minute drive, with 15 running plays! Hauschka hit the chip shot. The next time the Bills got the ball with the lead, three running plays and a field goal.

When the Bills have the lead, they’re going to run the ball for as long as they can. Run the clock, punt if they must, and put the game back into the hands of the defense. Taylor isn’t getting 30 pass attempts if the Bills have leads.

6. Tre’Davious White. It’s a pleasure watching this guy. Always around the ball, always makes the tackle.

7. Marcell Dareus. Better start showing up, or he’s going to be playing someplace else next season.

8. Lorenzo Alexander. He can play on my team every season. He’s around the ball a lot.

9. Offensive line. Finally, what Shady’s been looking for – daylight. And Tolbert, too. Their numbers weren’t gaudy, but the run game was good enough for the win. McCoy was an ankle-tackle away from breaking a couple of big runs.

10. Charles Clay. The man gets open, and Taylor is finding him. He hurt the Falcons repeatedly on Sunday, and he was sure-handed.

Lovin’ it.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Forgot a big thanks to the Bills Backers for an awesome pre-game party. Lots of fans, great food, great way to start the game.

Those Falcon fans have a lot to learn about this football-thing.

Your description of the ramps took me back to my youth going up/down the ramps to/from the Orange seats in The Aud :)

The 19 play drive was one of the best drives I can remember in years. Too bad it didn't result in TD, but you know McD is going to be working to try to make sure the next time it does.

One thing that has been so un-Billsy is we seem to be getting calls now, calls we've never gotten throughout the drought. I'm starting to wonder if there is some small side-effect of actual respect from the refs

Your description of the ramps took me back to my youth going up/down the ramps to/from the Orange seats in The Aud :)

The 19 play drive was one of the best drives I can remember in years. Too bad it didn't result in TD, but you know McD is going to be working to try to make sure the next time it does.

One thing that has been so un-Billsy is we seem to be getting calls now, calls we've never gotten throughout the drought. I'm starting to wonder if there is some small side-effect of actual respect from the refs

HAHAHA - awesome! I had forgotten about that! I remember going to a Braves game with my Dad, thinking how are we going to get out of this place!! Ahhhh......good times, man....good times!

Those ramps in the Aud are a distant memory. Last time I was in the Aud was 1970. The ramps in Atlanta were similar. Edited by Shaw66

I think you deserve credit for traveling to this game.

This was the "They still have along way to go game". The one where the elite team shows the Bills weaknesses. The bubble bursting defeat, away from home, among enemy fans.

I thought the Bills were going to get killed, the "work in progress" defense exposed. The Bills would get behind a couple scores to the elite Falcons attack, have to abandon the run and focus on the pass, and then get slaughtered.

Well that is not what happened!

Good for you man to see that one in person might turn out to be even more of a special thing down the road.

I think you deserve credit for traveling to this game.

This was the "They still have along way to go game". The one where the elite team shows the Bills weaknesses. The bubble bursting defeat, away from home, among enemy fans.

I thought the Bills were going to get killed, the "work in progress" defense exposed. The Bills would get behind a couple scores to the elite Falcons attack, have to abandon the run and focus on the pass, and then get slaughtered.

Well that is not what happened!

Good for you man to see that one in person might turn out

to be even more of a special thing down the road.

We've known each other for a long time, and I'll tell you that I can't remember being so excited, so emotional about a Bills win. I went into the game excited that the Bills had been able to beat Denver but that was at home against a weak qb. I felt like the Bills COULD be good but it probably would go as you described.

It wouldn't have felt so great if there hadn't been so many Bills fans there. As the game went on we got louder and louder.

I was fortunate to have been there.

5. Sean McDermott. It’s obvious every week. McDermott expects his defense to win the game, and he expects his offense not to lose it. The Bills went up 14-10 on the fumble return, then got an interception. They followed with a 19-play, 11-minute drive, with 15 running plays! Hauschka hit the chip shot. The next time the Bills got the ball with the lead, three running plays and a field goal.

When the Bills have the lead, they’re going to run the ball for as long as they can. Run the clock, punt if they must, and put the game back into the hands of the defense. Taylor isn’t getting 30 pass attempts if the Bills have leads.

When Hyde made his 2nd INT I was praying for smart football (run the ball, pass only if you have to), but play smart football doesn´t mean extremly conservative & predictable running... I didn´t enjoy that serie at all, the formation they chose was totally wrong, the falcons didn´t have to respect the pass one bit. I think you have to spread the formation so they can´t but 9/10 guys in the box.

But that´s my only complain to an otherwise masterpice game plan,

Playing smart football, and I can't think of a better way of describing the team as of late. When everyone does their job and executes to the best of their abilities good things are going to happen in my humble opinion.

McD is the man.

thanks OP and the rest of you guys for representing us so well,

Enjoyable read per the usual Shaw,

thanks buddy :thumbsup:

Edited by Figster

Great post as always Shaw. While watching this game at home, at the end I found myself asking myself what is happening? We take out Denver, then go on the road and take out the NFL champs. I must admit I found myself in a almost state of confusion because I'm just not use to that feeling since I was a small child, and that has been so long that I honestly can't remember that feeling. It's a nice feeling. I'm one who was saying this team was tanking this year, boy was I wrong. This is a team that plays together for 60 minutes and if they lose it's not going to come from pack of effort and belief in themselves. I am very concerned with Zay at this point, I was front row in corner of the end zone in Charlotte and that drop happened literally right in front of me. So...after 17 years...i am coming to the conclusion it has been coaching. I am still in belief we have a less talented roster than last year, yet the team is playing better. Let's just hope it continues and I may be believing this whole "trust the process" that I thought was nonsense. Go Bills!

This win on the road, against an offensive powerhouse like the Falcons, with us coming off a big win over Denver...it really speaks to the coaching staff and player buy-in IMO. I think the coaches have the players' attention in a way that Ryan's staff didn't/couldn't, the team just feels very much like a professional group going about their job every Sunday. Kudos to McD and company.

We had hot starts in 2008 and 2011, so I'm hindsight might be 20/20, but this just feels different. McDermott is that difference... and it's huge!

There are things that still frustrate me a bit.

Every time Shady breaks a long run since the Jets game, the play gets called back for holding. I wonder if the long run is really because of the hold or if it's just a stroke of bad luck?

I seriously get very frustrated by the extremely conservative offensive playcalling once we get the lead. And that's not me saying they should just have Taylor sling it all over the field just because. It's more that I think Buffalo changes its offensive identity once it gets the lead. I don't like that, even though I get it. I just think that as great as our defense has been, something's gonna give one of these weeks. I think we had opportunities to put the Falcons away, but we kept it close maybe unnecessarily.

Hauschka!!!! I actually thought the right call on his last field goal was to punt it, but boy was I wrong!

I hope Jones can get out of his head. Is the stage too big for him? Too bad because it's clear he can get open and that Taylor can and wants to get him the ball, but he's just not holding on. Get that boy some Stick-em!!!

Our secondary is really, really good.

Jerry Hughes is really, really good.

Kyle is still really, really good!!!

This is fun :thumbsup:

When Hyde made his 2nd INT I was praying for smart football (run the ball, pass only if you have to), but play smart football doesn´t mean extremly conservative & predictable running... I didn´t enjoy that serie at all, the formation they chose was totally wrong, the falcons didn´t have to respect the pass one bit. I think you have to spread the formation so they can´t but 9/10 guys in the box.

But that´s my only complain to an otherwise masterpice game plan,

Completely agree with you here. I can't exactly fault McDermott because it's been working. I just don't think it's always going to work.

Awesome if it does, though 0:)