THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Bills Fans Celebrate Big Road Win

Shaw66

5. Sean McDermott. It’s obvious every week. McDermott expects his defense to win the game, and he expects his offense not to lose it. The Bills went up 14-10 on the fumble return, then got an interception. They followed with a 19-play, 11-minute drive, with 15 running plays! Hauschka hit the chip shot. The next time the Bills got the ball with the lead, three running plays and a field goal.

When the Bills have the lead, they’re going to run the ball for as long as they can. Run the clock, punt if they must, and put the game back into the hands of the defense. Taylor isn’t getting 30 pass attempts if the Bills have leads.

When Hyde made his 2nd INT I was praying for smart football (run the ball, pass only if you have to), but play smart football doesn´t mean extremly conservative & predictable running... I didn´t enjoy that serie at all, the formation they chose was totally wrong, the falcons didn´t have to respect the pass one bit. I think you have to spread the formation so they can´t but 9/10 guys in the box.

But that´s my only complain to an otherwise masterpice game plan,

I was honestly hoping they would try Clay one more time along the side or down the seam to ice it. I was getting annoyed/worried when I saw the Tyrod sweep.

Your description of the ramps took me back to my youth going up/down the ramps to/from the Orange seats in The Aud :)

The 19 play drive was one of the best drives I can remember in years. Too bad it didn't result in TD, but you know McD is going to be working to try to make sure the next time it does.

One thing that has been so un-Billsy is we seem to be getting calls now, calls we've never gotten throughout the drought. I'm starting to wonder if there is some small side-effect of actual respect from the refs

As for respect...absolutely. These refs are professionals themselves, usually twice over. They are lawyers, sales representatives, business owners, etc. I have long thought that the professionalism of the coach and players has a bearing on the officiating.

We've known each other for a long time, and I'll tell you that I can't remember being so excited, so emotional about a Bills win. I went into the game excited that the Bills had been able to beat Denver but that was at home against a weak qb. I felt like the Bills COULD be good but it probably would go as you described.

It wouldn't have felt so great if there hadn't been so many Bills fans there. As the game went on we got louder and louder.

I was fortunate to have been there.

I'm very glad you were there pal. You deserve it.

To me this game wasn't a flukey win. It meant something. I don't know if it means we are on the way. It might. What is for sure, to me, is it was an Oasis in the desert for us. It isn't a mirage that was a real oasis. If that makes any sense. To me that Bills team imposed their will on a stronger opponent in that game. And I think it will fuel them to believe harder and follow the plan harder and to want to be part of what happens next.

A lot to read into one game but boy, I can't see it another way besides that game was a BIG deal.

Two observations. One is , it is not easy to sack Tyrod. And the Falcons did it a few times. I am hoping it was their unique ability. The worry is they figured out that coming at him from straight ahead is his Achilles heel, and now other teams will try that way as well.

Second: It looked to me like Shady was fighting harder for yards than he usually does. I have seen him as a guy who will run til he gets hit or grabbed and then go down so he can be healthy to try and break a big one next time.

This game it looked to me like he was using all his moves, in traffic, to gain an extra yard or two. The kind of moves he usually uses to try and break a big one, he was using to try and get another yard.He looked like a pinball to me. A really freaking good pinball. Based on what I saw, I think he believes the team can go far this year. So he took the pounding because he doesn't think it is for nothing.

Obviously I could be wrong on that but that's the impression I got.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

I'm very glad you were there pal. You deserve it.

To me this game wasn't a flukey win. It meant something. I don't know if it means we are on the way. It might. What is for sure, to me, is it was an Oasis in the desert for us. It isn't a mirage that was a real oasis. If that makes any sense. To me that Bills team imposed their will on a stronger opponent in that game. And I think it will fuel them to believe harder and follow the plan harder and to want to be part of what happens next.

A lot to read into one game but boy, I can't see it another way besides that game was a BIG deal.

Two observations. One is , it is not easy to sack Tyrod. And the Falcons did it a few times. I am hoping it was their unique ability. The worry is they figured out that coming at him from straight ahead is his Achilles heel, and now other teams will try that way as well.

Second: It looked to me like Shady was fighting harder for yards than he usually does. I have seen him as a guy who will run til he gets hit or grabbed and then go down so he can be healthy to try and break a big one next time.

This game it looked to me like he was using all his moves, in traffic, to gain an extra yard or two. The kind of moves he usually uses to try and break a big one, he was using to try and get another yard.He looked like a pinball to me. A really freaking good pinball. Based on what I saw, I think he believes the team can go far this year. So he took the pounding because he doesn't think it is for nothing.

Obviously I could be wrong on that but that's the impression I got.

Meanie -

Some responses to you and others. I think you're absolutely right about the oasis, and it isn't a mirage. For me, that realization came last week. They proved last week that they are a good football team, a team that will play everyone tough. Jauron's teams played everyone tough, too, but they weren't a good team. They were just a worthy opponent. Last week the Bills proved they are a good team.

Yesterday they proved they are a good team that can beat anyone. Not saying they're going 15-1. Teams will beat them. But this team is serious threat to be IN every game and to win a lot of them.

Interesting comment about Shady. I think it's true. I think we saw it last week, when Shady converted two consecutive third downs. We willed his way to the first down each time, on plays where he ordinarily would have gone down. (I don't mind that he'goes down easily and runs out of bounds. He's protecting himself, which is good for his career but also good for the team. I want him on field, and if he saves himself, I'm all for it.) Shady strikes me as the kind of guy who's generally committed to the team but who could give up on the team if he thinks the team is all f***** up. I don't know if that's fair or not, just my impression. But last week and yesterday, I think we saw the opposite. I think we saw a running back who believes in this team and who's committed to doing his share to make the team a winner. What's really encouraging about that is that if it's happening to Shady, it's probably happening to other players, probably a lot of players. On top of that, now they're all seeing that buying into the team effort actually is winning football games. I find the whole thing very encouraging.

AS for the folks who are saying that the offense is too conservative when the Bills get the lead, I have two thoughts. First, McDermott doesn't agree with you. We've seen it for four games now. He is going to run the ball and run the clock when he has a lead. He trusts his defense, and he will do nothing that will stop the clock. And he's so sure of himself that he isn't even going to run out of formations that THREATEN to pass. He knows that the opponents will have studied the films and will know that the Bills are running all the time, and spreading the formation won't change the defensive mind set.

But I also think something else is going on. I think the defense is ahead of the offense. By all reports, McDermott runs a pretty simple defense. His guys already are playing it well. There will be wrinkles added, but the defense is on its way. They lead the league in points allowed. That's not true for the offense. The offense, especially the O line, is still learning. I gave props to the O line because for the first time this season they were creating seams for the running backs. I think that's evidence that they're starting to get how to work together in this new scheme. Tyrod's learning the offense, and except for Clay he's been learning it with new receivers. I think you saw that he's making progress on some of his completions yesterday. The long one to Clay and the TD to Matthews both were plays where he look comfortable with what was going on - he knew where he was going to find his open receiver. It's a setback to lose Matthews for a bit.

I think McDermott is especially conservative when he has the lead in part because he knows it's naive to put a lot on the offense before it's ready. He's giving the offense time to develop. While it's developing, he's going to run the clock. In other words, if things go well in the season, I think the offense when the Bills have the lead will become less conservative later in the season.

One play that I wanted to comment on was the long kickoff return the Bills gave up.

Obviously, someone screwed up the kick coverage (or maybe the Falcons just got the right kick for the play they had called).

What was noteworthy about that play was how well Hauschka and Wright executed their roles. Hauschka made a good play, forcing the return man to cut wide to avoid the tackle. It cost the return man just a little time, time that Wright needed to close the gap and make the tackle. If Hauschka gets beaten to the inside, the returner would have been one on one with Wright coming across the field, and that's a really hard tackle to make. With the ball carrier forced wide, Wright could continue on a straight line and rely on the sideline to help him contain the man and make the tackle.

Hauschka made a nice play, and Wright didn't quit on the play.

If the kick return goes all the way, the Bills are trailing. Instead, three plays later Hyde intercepts and returns 37 yards. The kick coverage and the interception saved the game.

Meanie -

Some responses to you and others. I think you're absolutely right about the oasis, and it isn't a mirage. For me, that realization came last week. They proved last week that they are a good football team, a team that will play everyone tough. Jauron's teams played everyone tough, too, but they weren't a good team. They were just a worthy opponent. Last week the Bills proved they are a good team.

Yesterday they proved they are a good team that can beat anyone. Not saying they're going 15-1. Teams will beat them. But this team is serious threat to be IN every game and to win a lot of them.

Interesting comment about Shady. I think it's true. I think we saw it last week, when Shady converted two consecutive third downs. We willed his way to the first down each time, on plays where he ordinarily would have gone down. (I don't mind that he'goes down easily and runs out of bounds. He's protecting himself, which is good for his career but also good for the team. I want him on field, and if he saves himself, I'm all for it.) Shady strikes me as the kind of guy who's generally committed to the team but who could give up on the team if he thinks the team is all f***** up. I don't know if that's fair or not, just my impression. But last week and yesterday, I think we saw the opposite. I think we saw a running back who believes in this team and who's committed to doing his share to make the team a winner. What's really encouraging about that is that if it's happening to Shady, it's probably happening to other players, probably a lot of players. On top of that, now they're all seeing that buying into the team effort actually is winning football games. I find the whole thing very encouraging.

AS for the folks who are saying that the offense is too conservative when the Bills get the lead, I have two thoughts. First, McDermott doesn't agree with you. We've seen it for four games now. He is going to run the ball and run the clock when he has a lead. He trusts his defense, and he will do nothing that will stop the clock. And he's so sure of himself that he isn't even going to run out of formations that THREATEN to pass. He knows that the opponents will have studied the films and will know that the Bills are running all the time, and spreading the formation won't change the defensive mind set.

But I also think something else is going on. I think the defense is ahead of the offense. By all reports, McDermott runs a pretty simple defense. His guys already are playing it well. There will be wrinkles added, but the defense is on its way. They lead the league in points allowed. That's not true for the offense. The offense, especially the O line, is still learning. I gave props to the O line because for the first time this season they were creating seams for the running backs. I think that's evidence that they're starting to get how to work together in this new scheme. Tyrod's learning the offense, and except for Clay he's been learning it with new receivers. I think you saw that he's making progress on some of his completions yesterday. The long one to Clay and the TD to Matthews both were plays where he look comfortable with what was going on - he knew where he was going to find his open receiver. It's a setback to lose Matthews for a bit.

I think McDermott is especially conservative when he has the lead in part because he knows it's naive to put a lot on the offense before it's ready. He's giving the offense time to develop. While it's developing, he's going to run the clock. In other words, if things go well in the season, I think the offense when the Bills have the lead will become less conservative later in the season.

These are some damn good observations. Rockpile Review threads are the best Bills recaps in all media, bar none.

Shaw - I really enjoyed your comments, and agree with your later comments on the special teams. Although it clearly shouldn't have gotten to that point, the commitment of the players to "do their job" (ugh) was key in stopping a disaster. Little things like that then ending in an INT shows people that there is a reason to never quit.

Another example was TreDay's fumble return. The announcers, fans - me - all thought it was an INT. He didn't do the typical pick it up and run a few yards down field dealio. He sprinted to get it, slowed for half a second, then committed and took off. The Falcons were all caught thinking the play was over until it was too late.

Perhaps the only comment I don't "billeive" is true is your # 7 (" Marcell Dareus. Better start showing up, or he’s going to be playing someplace else next season.") I still think he has too much dead money to be gone. And I'm not convinced his lack of plays is due to attitude. He was used when critical to stop plays, and I'm not sure the Bills coaching staff would put him in for key stops if they felt he was half-assing it. I think he's still hurt.

Shaw as always great take. I was supposed to be at the game but the wife and I ended up in cape cod for the weekend.

Took the ferry over to Nantucket for the day so I ended up in a Patriots bar in Patriots country watching the bills game and pats game.

Pats fans were pretty cool to me(I think they felt sorry for me being a bills fan). To see the Bills win and the pats lose in that fashion was awesome. I did let them all know afterwards that the Buffalo Bills were in sole possession of first place!!! I got some looks but it was great.

Shaw as always great take. I was supposed to be at the game but the wife and I ended up in cape cod for the weekend.

Took the ferry over to Nantucket for the day so I ended up in a Patriots bar in Patriots country watching the bills game and pats game.

Pats fans were pretty cool to me(I think they felt sorry for me being a bills fan). To see the Bills win and the pats lose in that fashion was awesome. I did let them all know afterwards that the Buffalo Bills were in sole possession of first place!!! I got some looks but it was great.

The Pats fans in a bar in Nantucket are rich enough to buy the Bills so they could afford to be gracious.