Bills only had 10 men on the field on final 4th and 1

HappyDays

Still shouldn't happen.

You exactly right. And McDermott was on top of it in the press conference saying the same, instead of dismissing it because they won...

Starting to really like this management team. I can feel the gravitational pull of optimism sucking me in again. When will I ever learn?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Glad we got the win, this can't ever happen again

Agreed.

Now it all makes sense why they changed to zone. Easier to cover with 10 men on field. LOL.

Seriously: Bills fans just need to enjoy a hot start and good D for a change. It has been way too long.

You exactly right. And McDermott was on top of it in the press conference saying the same, instead of dismissing it because they won...

Starting to really like this management team. I can feel the gravitational pull of optimism sucking me in again. When will I ever learn?

Hopefully, the Bills learn from this. History suggests had this bent the Cheats* Brady would have taken advantage of the situation.

@Nick_Wojton

VIDEO:McDermott said the team knew they had 10 guys on field during late 4th down, but couldn't do anything. Called for improved subs #Bills

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/914917496662216704/pu/vid/1280x720/z5VxLjBX-54zzGhq.mp4

Thankfully they(players and coaches) were aware they could not call another time out.

That would have been so Rexy to do that and get 5 yd delay of game penalty and Falcons 1st down.

Edited by cba fan

That would have made the situation even worse with an automatic 1st down.

Yep. BUT, I would love to know the circumstances of the timeout they did call on the play before. I assume we didn't like the matchup. But the Falcons were not ready at all and there were only four seconds on the play clock if that was the play I'm remembering.

I think some folks consider the label of "Jauron ball" to be a slight; maybe I'm misreading you, but I don't see it that way.

Jauron ball is literally the only way this team is going to win games this year--they aren't talented enough to win any other way.

Philosophical question that I was asking my group right before the play: if they got the 1st down, would you call a timeout and let them score on the next play?

You are absolutely right, this is the only way they can win. And under the circumstances I am therefore all for it because I don't believe in the tank process.

If you have the right personnel.........it can get you to the playoffs on the regular.......in which case it's known as Marty Ball. :thumbsup:

But the reason they absolutely have to play Jauron Ball is because they effectively traded Gillislee and Watkins for a 5th in 2017 and a 2nd in 2018. They had a tremendous offense in 2016........that it is no longer tremendous is their doing/choice.

And it's not like what they were doing last season was incongruent with the bend/don't break defense........thru 15 games they had the fewest offensive turnovers since the SB era, which included ten seasons where they only played 14 games..........the offensive personnel decisions remains perplexing.

I find it funny that McD is getting something of a "Riverboat gambler" identity because he goes for long field goals...........Rex loved him some long field goals too.......most conservative coaches do........it's by no means brazen.

It's a fine line between a win and a loss in many of these games. If the Ryan play is called differently on the field ( possible) or T White is called for holding or PI for his shirt grab on the final 4th down, it's very possible that people are talking about the 10 men on the field a la Rex Ryan. Sometimes you get the breaks and it makes all the difference. It makes no sense to pretend things didn't happen, couldn't bite the Bills in the a$$ down the road , or had no impact on the game .

You are absolutely right, this is the only way they can win. And under the circumstances I am therefore all for it because I don't believe in the tank process.

If you have the right personnel.........it can get you to the playoffs on the regular.......in which case it's known as Marty Ball. :thumbsup:

But the reason they absolutely have to play Jauron Ball is because they effectively traded Gillislee and Watkins for a 5th in 2017 and a 2nd in 2018. They had a tremendous offense in 2016........that it is no longer tremendous is their doing/choice.

And it's not like what they were doing last season was incongruent with the bend/don't break defense........thru 15 games they had the fewest offensive turnovers since the SB era, which included ten seasons where they only played 14 games..........the offensive personnel decisions remains perplexing.

I find it funny that McD is getting something of a "Riverboat gambler" identity because he goes for long field goals...........Rex loved him some long field goals too.......most conservative coaches do........it's by no means brazen.

Spot on commentary as per usual

Not sure if anyone else posted this, but on the fourth and 1 play, the missing Bills defender was the LB who should have covered the RB who came out of the backfield, ran across the line to gain, and turned around, wide open. But Ryan was not looking his way.

The biggest break of the game was Ryan failing to take advantage of our biggest mistake of the game.

Whoops, my mistake. The play with the RB wide open over the middle was a little earlier, on second and 5 from the 14. The RB makes the first down easily. Instead Ryan completed to a WR and White pushed him out of bounds, setting up the final two incompletions.

Edited by Utah John