McD's worst decision this year...

I think he definitely wanted Tolbert because of the culture he's establishing and expected Tolbert to also provide a splash on the field.

However, only one half of that plan is working. Tolbert is underperforming on the field. He runs soft for such a big dude. Kind of like Dixon.

Thats where I seen him before!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McD's explanation for releasing J-Dub

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/09/sean_mcdermott_explains_why_buffalo_bills_cut_rb_jonathan_williams.html

one line summary: J-Dub was great - but needed the spot for Defense / ST

Given that Banyard has been a healthy scratch in every game, keeping him over Williams still doesn't make much sense to me. Banyard isn't dressing for the games, so he's not exactly helping the special teams. I thought Banyard looked decent as a runner in preseason, but Williams looked a little better in my opinion. Add in two more factors and it becomes very puzzling:

1.) Banyard is 28 and likely getting worse, while Williams is 23 and likely getting better.

2.) Banyard is on a 1-year deal, while Williams was under contract though 2019 at essentially the minimum. If either one broke out, big big advantage to having extra years on the deal.

I'm not too worked up about it, but I still don't agree with the decision. I'm with the majority in this thread - Tolbert belongs on the team but just isn't good enough to be the primary backup. If anything happens to Shady, we're pretty well boned.

I like the way the team is playing, so credit to McDermott on that, but if we want to be good for real, we need a serious talent infusion at the skill positions next year. Maybe some of that will be Zay Jones turning into a real boy, but that's far from enough. Even if Mathews is re-signed, we'll probably need 1-2 quality receivers. Shady still has it, but he won't last forever, and there's really nothing behind him. And Clay's knee will always make him a question mark.

I think McD decided long ago he wanted Tolbert's "character and leadership" on the team, regardless of who had to be cut.

But now that the team has jelled and we have a season here, maybe that will be rethought.

perfectly posted. Time to dress Banyard for a game

We all watch the games, Tolbert adds very little and he has been fairly ineffective for the last few seasons. It's one thing to question moves before any games are played, this isn't what we are doing.

His play has been lackluster as teams know how to defend him easily.

Continuing to use him this way seems wasted downs at this point, and I like the guy !

Back up running backs are a dime a dozen. Wont be surprised to see jones get a few touches. His speed adds a dimension. Baynard could be serviceable if needed. If something happens with Mccoy they can find a guy on the street or on a practice squad that could be as or more productive than Williams would have been,

Back up running backs are a dime a dozen. Wont be surprised to see jones get a few touches. His speed adds a dimension. Baynard could be serviceable if needed. If something happens with Mccoy they can find a guy on the street or on a practice squad that could be as or more productive than Williams would have been,

I would like to know abit more about them as rushers sooner than later. When they dress Tolbert and play him, they might find better ways to use him.

Wear the Defensive 7 down with some heavy packages maybe ?

Agree about releasing Williams. Trying to understand the value add T Jones brings over what JW brought. Partially get the Watkins decision.

However, my gut tells me McDermott and Beane didn't expect the team to gel this quickly and the defense to rise up. I fully believe they were planning for the future, stock piling picks while reducing cap space.

Making the playoffs this year would be amazing but I don't want it to be a one year wonder while impacting long term success. Our WR and LB core need huge upgrades. Unless Dareus steps up you need two DT's. Enjoying the success but it's a long season. Getting to 4-1 will be huge going into the bye week.

You remember how people used to say about Travis Henry "He's like a bowling ball?"

Whenever Tolbert runs, I can't help but think "He's like a bowling ball...rolled underhand by a three year old."

I always think of him running more like this:

3053001.gif

You should have started with "I'm surprised he didn't trade Shady so we would have seen right away that you were only joking. Trade Shady. Now that's funny.

I was very surprised that Williams didn't make the roster too, but he even admitted that he didn't have a sense of urgency as a rookie and clearly, McDermott doesn't want any slackers on his team. Maybe he was still lagging a bit.