A Few Thoughts About the Falcons Game

Virgil

Wow. Just wow. What an amazing game that felt like it would turn into a typical Bills loss for the past 17 years. It's hard to not Billieve right as no one had us 3-1 to start the season. I'm going to keep the hype train going and keep all the negatives to one point. Let's get this party started!!!

1 - Officiating - How many times do we come out on the winning side of 50/50 challenges? I know a lot of people want to point to this as the main reason we won, but I have a different opinion. There were three reviews that had a major impact and I think the Refs only messed up one of them, which went against us. For the INT and the Fumble recover, I'm not saying that they were 100% correct calls on the field, but I don't see how you could have overturned either of them. With the fumble, the ball definitely moved before Ryan's arm pushed it forward. The question is, what's the definition of control before a pass? With all of our rules around possession on a catch or fumble, I can see how there wasn't 100% evidence to overturn the call on the field.

On the INT by Hyde, I think we got lucky with player positioning and camera angles. It definitely looked like the ball hit the ground with Hyde's hands on it, but you can't get a clear view of whether or not the ball moved. Again, I don't see how you can overturn the call on the field from the replay.

Now the Freeman catch is a different story. While I don't agree with the rules on what a catch is after the infamous Dez play, you can clearly see where the ball moves and possession is not owned all the way through the catch. I'm not complaining about the refs or the game overall, but I think an argument can be made that calls went both ways.

2 - Shady - It was hard not writing about Shady the past two weeks. Seeing him with the slightest bit of space and gaining those extra yards just makes me appreciate what we have in him and what he can do if he stays healthy. He's holding that wrist every week it seems and I feel like it's only a matter of time. Besides that, he found a way to fall forward just enough times for first downs and really drive it home on that 9+ minute drive. I would have loved to see him in there more on first downs vs Tolbert, but eh.

Also, did you hear about his press conference when he blasted the reporters for not giving him a chance, but he would still let them interview the winners? Got to love that man.

3 - Hyde - This is my first time mentioning him in these reviews and man did he earn it. The man was possessed out there and just controlled this game. Him and Poyer might be the best backfield tandem I've seen in a very long time. They are both money will spend and a huge part of our success. I'm actually looking forward to seeing him cover Gronk (probably famous last words). Either way, I love him getting it together out there and taking control. This was his defense today and there was no doubt about it. He was flying to the ball and I was pulling for the TD on hit INT. He earned it.

4 - Take your time 'cause the way I rhyme's gonna make you smile, when ya

Realise that with a guy my size it might take a while, just to

Try to figure out what all this is for.

Pinch me

5 - Haushka - I'm officially sorry for every negative thing I thought about you when we signed you this offseason. It was nothing personal, I just heard about your missed extra points and your first missed field goal this year scared me. I'm truly, deeply sorry. Because man, are you kidding me with these 50+ yarders!? This guy is killing it for us. I wasn't even nervous on his last field goal. It's amazing to have a guy like this and only begs the question, why didn't we let him kick it before our first punt?

6 - Tyrod - I thought it was a fluke last week, but now I'm realizing this guy just knows how to make this throw. Does anyone understand how hard it is to throw on the run AND across your body? I couldn't figure out why we are rolling him out that way for the harder throw. But the answer is: Because he can! Yes, TT missed some throws today. He missed 2 that were pretty bad. But you know what, so did Ryan. If TT missed that last throw, people would be losing their minds on here calling for Peterman. He also threw some perfect balls today including the deep ball to Clay, the TD to Matthews, and a few others in stride that were starting NFL QB throws. Fine, he's not going to throw for 300 yards and carry us. Ryan attempted over 40 passes and lost. Tyrod escape the pocket and made some amazing plays on his feet and WON the game. We know his limits, but we are seeing flashes as well as improvement. How many more throws over the middle do you have to see before we can agree that it's in his arsenal. Great game Tyrod.

7 - McDermott - There's quite a few calls in the game where I scratch my head as to what McDermott is thinking. Trying to get the Falcons to jump offsides on 4th and goal made absolutely no sense as they couldn't get rewarded with a 1st. But at 3-1, with penalties under control, and with a defense that is just playing amazing, he's earned the benefit of the doubt with me. There was only one play on defense where they looked confused, and that was the passing touchdown we gave up. Other than that, this team went into an insanely tough venue against a crazy fast offense, and held them to 17 points. I'm trying not to get too caught up in things after 4 games, but this really does feel different with him.

8 - Around the NFL and the rest of the season - I don't know if the talent level has increased or decreased, but the parody in the league this year is as diverse as I've seen it in a long time. It really feels like almost every single team can win on any given Sunday. Oh yeah, and the Pats lost at home to the Panthers. Now how does that loss feel for us? I'm not saying anything about us making the playoffs or what I think is going to happen, but you can't deny that every single game on our schedule looks a lot more winnable now than it did in the preseason. The Pats game in Foxboro and the Chiefs games are the only ones I expect us to be favored to lose by a decent margin. Other than that, with today's win and how the league is shaping up, I think a lot of us are re-evaluating our Win/Loss predictions now.

9 - Grass is Greener - It's easy as a fan to watch the same team every single week and pick apart your teams flaws, while not giving them credit for their wins. This is especially true for Bills fans who are used to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But today we saw a team with a Pro Bowl QB, two amazing running backs (seriously, they are insanely fast and talented), and a great receiving core. They had so many weapons that I don't think they know how to use them all. If Ryan just had 75% of the plays run through Coleman and Freeman, I don't know that we win this game. Those guys were monsters out there. But they have so many weapons, I think they feel obligated to spread it around more and use Ryan's arm. Plus, like I said before, there were missed passes by Ryan that would get TT crucified on here.

The point is, you have to take credit for the wins as well as the losses. If Ryan looked bad, give us credit for making him look bad. Give TT the credit for winning the game. Rarely is there a perfect game and there will always be plays you want to get back. But that's why you play the full 60 minutes and that's why discipline usually wins out. We are showing that discipline.

10 - Negatives - I'm not going to get deep here and keep it to quick hits. If Tolbert lost that fumble, I'm putting his house on the market. Jones needs quick passes early in games to get his confidence up. That Carolina drop is looking less and less on TT. Mills got blown up twice in a row to start the second half. I really want to know what's up with Dareus. If he's that hurt to not play that much, why dress him? If not, why is he not in more? His snap count was absurdly low. Lastly, should have called a defensive TO on the passing TD. We clearly weren't ready.

3-1 to start the season ladies and gentlemen!!! Who saw that coming?!? Savor it and let's move on. And before we start with the "Here comes the letdown loss to the Bengals.", just stop. Good teams are 1-3 right now and this season is rough for everyone. Whether we are 4-1 or 3-2 heading into the bye week, this was a great win and we are further ahead than anyone thought we would be. So for a week, let's leave TT alone. Let's hope our WR's can step up for Matthews (Talking to you Jones), and Gaines injury isn't too bad.

This is a great win and a good feeling. Bills Win, Pats Lose!!!!

Go Bills!!!!!

*Post Edit - I dont know how I failed to give Clay a spot in here. I had him in my notes and just missed him. Was the leading NFL receiver through the 1pm games. Yes, thats with TT at the helm. Amazing game for Clay and love seeing him develop into the guy we hoped hed be. Hes earning that contract this year.

Edited by Virgil

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The White touchdown was a gift and a really terrible call. When the arm started forward, he had possession. The Hyde interception was almost as bad as the ground helped him catch it. I was quite sure both plays would be reversed. Would like to see Dennison throw more at the end.

Having said this, thrilled to be 3-1!

Edited by Wagon Circler

Thrilled with win but agree on Tolbert. He is just not dynamic. If Shady is out for any extended period of game, we're in big trouble with Tolbert and Dimarco.

MClark, maybe you didn't say before, but I am starting to agree with you guys who previously said you weren't thrilled with Tolbert.

Some tams (more than in recent memory) have two headed monsters at RB...I'm starting to get unsettled when Tolbert is in the back field by himself.

That is just flat false. It's inarguable Hughes hit the ball before his arm was going forward. That wasn't even an issue. The only issue was did he have control of the ball when his arm started going forward, and he didn't. He just pushed it forward. It would have been the same if it were below his waste and he didn't have full control and just shoveled it forward. That was clearly the right call after seeing there or four angles of it.

On the Hyde interception you just don't know the rules. It's okay if it hits the ground. It's still a catch if it totally smacks against the ground as long as you have two hands and control of it, which he did. The ball didn't bounce up when it hit the ground so it is a catch.

The White touchdown was a gift and a really terrible call. When the arm started forward, he had possession. The Hyde interception was almost as bad as the ground helped him catch it. I was quite sure both plays would be reversed. Would like to see Dennison throw more at the end.

Having said this, thrilled to be 3-1!

That is just flat false. It's inarguable Hughes hit the ball before his arm was going forward. That wasn't even an issue. The only issue was did he have control of the ball when his arm started going forward, and he didn't. He just pushed it forward. It would have been the same if it were below his waist and he didn't have full control and just shoveled it forward. That was clearly the right call after seeing three or four angles of it.

On the Hyde interception you just don't know the rules. It's okay if it hits the ground. It's still a catch if it totally smacks against the ground as long as you have two hands and control of it, which he did. The ball didn't bounce up when it hit the ground so it is a catch.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

All the bad call against the Bills are evening out. Stop being so negative dude. Enjoy

Yep. In the Broncos game I thought there were about eight bad calls. Horrendous. But we benefitted from half of them somit evened out. This game there were some controversial calls but overall I thought they got them right a lot. We got away with some stuff for sure. And they weren't called for a few.

Yep. In the Broncos game I thought there were about eight bad calls. Horrendous. But we benefitted from half of them somit evened out. This game there were some controversial calls but overall I thought they got them right a lot. We got away with some stuff for sure. And they weren't called for a few.

Maybe the cigarette smoking man finally died and the conspiracy is over

Maybe the cigarette smoking man finally died and the conspiracy is over

I never understood the benefit of the doubt calls that the NFL makes but it exists for sure. Perhaps because of McDermott we are solid and fundamentally sound and our players aren't dicks and they get the plays in quick and we run them and the officials think these guys are doing it right and we will give them the benefit of the doubt.

On the fumble for a TD, I was surprised at how sure the TV announcers were that the call would be reversed. The ball was plainly moving around in Ryan's hand before he started a forward motion - how can anyone call that possession?

Edit: if the Bills are now somehow getting calls to square up for past mistakes, then we should get several years worth of calls going forward.

Edited by Willyville Guy

On the fumble for a TD, I was surprised at how sure the TV announcers were that the call would be reversed. The ball was plainly moving around in Ryan's hand before he started a forward motion - how can anyone call that possession?

Edit: if the Bills are now somehow getting calls to square up for past mistakes, then we should get several years worth of calls going forward.

I'm with you on that one. The Refs made some bad call against the Bills too, but I think overall things worked out 50/50 instead of going against us 25/75 like they seem to before.

Thrilled about the win. Injury watch has begun:

- Shaq. They missed him yesterday in the run protection. Hope he's back soon but doesn't rush.

- Matthews. He's the best WR on the team and it will hurt to have him out for the next month+.

- Gaines. He plays a speed and agility position, so groin is a tough injury. I hope he gets 3 weeks rest and comes back after the bye 100%.

- Humber. He's played well. I haven't heard what his prognosis is.

- Shady. He's not hurt but he leaves the game a lot and every time he does, we get Tolbert. That's a problem. Tolbert will have a few fun runs this season but the Bills need a true backup. Beane should have that person ready for week 6. Plenty of guys out there who can do the job adequately.

Edited by BeginnersMind

On the officiating I thought they were consistent. They stayed with what they called unless there was clear evidence to overturn. You can argue the catch (I think it was Coleman not Freeman) hat they stayed with for the Falcons was a 50/50 as was the Fumble for the TD. They stayed with the on-field call both times. Hard to argue when a crew is consistent in that application of the rules.

For the White TD, the part that may be confusing some is the fact that the ball came loose BEFORE his arm was going forward. And he never completely regained control/grip on the ball. If the ball started going loose after his arm was going forward then it wouldve been an incomplete pass.

Edited by bobobonators

For the White TD, the part that may be confusing some is the fact that the ball came loose BEFORE his arm was going forward. And he never completely regained control/grip on the ball. If the ball started going loose after his arm was going forward then it wouldve been an incomplete pass.

See I don't think it was. I think it wobbled in his hand but I don't think it was coming loose. He still had possession in my opinion. Ultimately I think it is subjective and I can see why someone might look at that wobble and say that does not constitute control. I think they were probably right to stay with how it was called on the field, but had it been called incomplete on the field no way it would have been overturned on review it was simply too close of a call whichever way they called it.

I'll admit it. Watching the game and after many seasons of futility on the road against a good opponent I expected this to be one of those 'moral victory' moments. We've seen it many times for many seasons. When the Bills play a favored opponent tough only to lose the game at the end. Followed by gratuitous praise from the home team about how the Bills gave them all they could handle. Instead, a real victory with a 'W' in the standings with a great effort and smart play all around. At this point they are definitely raising expectations.