A Few Thoughts About the Falcons Game

Virgil

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The main issue with that play was the ANNOUNCERS of the game. They kept falsely stating that Ryan maintained control through the forward motion which was absolutely not correct. The ball came loose on the way back and he had no real control of the ball moving forward and literally just pushed his hand through the ball to shove it forward.

To me, this is 100% why the call was not reversed. Don't get me wrong, I understand it was a close call, but it was ruled a fumble on the field and to overturn it there MUST be conclusive evidence to do so. And the only thing that was 100% confirmable is that the ball came loose while the arm was going backward and I saw no evidence of him regaining full control of the ball and then making a forward pass.

In regards to other comments about the refs and the calls...A lot of people have said we got calls to go "our way", however I think the better phrasing is the refs finally got the calls right. Just because they were in our favor doesn't mean the refs got them wrong. Were there close calls, absolutely, but in each case the refs made the correct decision. Even the one people think didn't go our way, the long play down the side line from Coleman was the right call by the refs. I didn't see anything in the replay that was conclusive to warrant an over turn.

Depends what you constitute as "came loose". I've seen the same clips as you and I don't think it "came loose" I think it wobbled but he maintained control. Judgment call and right not to overturn but my eyes still see incomplete pass though they don't see it with enough certainty to overrule the ruling on the field. I think what you can say is that the one thing we can ask from refs in these very difficult close calls is that they are consistent in their approach to review. This crew was. If there was no conclusive proof they stayed with the call and I think more referees and their units should adopt the same approach.

7 - McDermott - There's quite a few calls in the game where I scratch my head as to what McDermott is thinking. Trying to get the Falcons to jump offsides on 4th and goal made absolutely no sense as they couldn't get rewarded with a 1st. But at 3-1, with penalties under control, and with a defense that is just playing amazing, he's earned the benefit of the doubt with me. There was only one play on defense where they looked confused, and that was the passing touchdown we gave up. Other than that, this team went into an insanely tough venue against a crazy fast offense, and held them to 17 points. I'm trying not to get too caught up in things after 4 games, but this really does feel different with him.

On this one, there was a certain defensive set they were looking for. They had a play called, and if Tyrod got the right defensive alignment, they were going to run the play, if not, take the delay of game (instead of burning a timeout). It's the difference between a 19 and 24-yd field goal. I think after all of his 50-plus yarders, Coach is confident enough in Hauschka to sacrifice the 5 yards. :thumbsup:

Depends what you constitute as "came loose". I've seen the same clips as you and I don't think it "came loose" I think it wobbled but he maintained control. Judgment call and right not to overturn but my eyes still see incomplete pass though they don't see it with enough certainty to overrule the ruling on the field. I think what you can say is that the one thing we can ask from refs in these very difficult close calls is that they are consistent in their approach to review. This crew was. If there was no conclusive proof they stayed with the call and I think more referees and their units should adopt the same approach.

The ball came loose, and while still in contact with his hand, "control" is debatable.

If it was a pass, it was more of a shot put-type pass.

The ball came loose, and while still in contact with his hand, "control" is debatable.

If it was a pass, it was more of a shot put-type pass.

I agree it is debatable. My eyes don't see a "loose" ball. They see a moving ball but one still under control. It still ultimately comes down to the subjective view of what is control and I think whichever way it had been called on the field would have stood. That is fine by me.

It's a !@#$ing win

hmmm which tone are you using? angry or happy?

I agree it is debatable. My eyes don't see a "loose" ball. They see a moving ball but one still under control. It still ultimately comes down to the subjective view of what is control and I think whichever way it had been called on the field would have stood. That is fine by me.

Call it our TUCK moment and lets see where it carries us.