Ultra conservative play calling at the end

Steptide

Still conservative regardless. If you get it, you are up 21-10 in the 4th. If you don't, Atlanta has to go 99 yards for the lead

If "conservative" means "winning", sign me up. They adapt to the situation. We won. I'm sorry if that disappoints you. There's a time and a place for everything. Complain when they get it wrong, if you must.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can look at it that way....

OR, you can look at it this way. We were in FG range, and ran the ball well in the second half. We also forced them to burn all their timeouts.

Definitely conservative, no doubt about it. But it had some positives as well.

If "conservative" means "winning", sign me up. They adapt to the situation. We won. I'm sorry if that disappoints you. There's a time and a place for everything. Complain when they get it wrong, if you must.

Hey man I'm thrilled with the win. I was just saying I think they should have went for it. That is just my personal opinion. You are correct that is working so far and it is hard to disagree with the end result. But just think they need more of a killer instinct and bury teams when you have the chance

We also need to keep in mind that Tyrod turns the ball over less than any QB in the league, less than any QB in history, in fact. Why not let him throw it, especially when the other team is loaded up to stop the run?

What would people be saying if we went for the TD on 4th and didn't get it? Does everyone realize that is a real possibility? How about if we threw on the last drive and left an extra half minute? We won! Get over it.

It is almost ALWAYS better to go for it on 4th and G from the 1. No matter what point in the game it is. Even on the first drive of the game. If you don't make it, the other team has the ball backed up in their end zone. It's not exactly a win/win, but it's damn close.

Naturally, kicking the FG would be better depending on score and game situations.

This wasn't one of those.

Interesting. This is stuff we fans don't often know when we spout off.

Tyrod and McDermott said they were going to go for it if the defense gave them the look they wanted and would kick it if they gave them a look their play wouldn't work.

I think that was pretty apparent. I thought they were going pass there if they snapped it personally. Spout off? Man you always buy the company line. It didn't bite them in the a$$ today but it could have easily. They were two 4th downs anyway from disaster on that last ATL possession .

It is almost ALWAYS better to go for it on 4th and G from the 1. No matter what point in the game it is. Even on the first drive of the game. If you don't make it, the other team has the ball backed up in their end zone. It's not exactly a win/win, but it's damn close.

Naturally, kicking the FG would be better depending on score and game situations.

This wasn't one of those.

You say that like you decide the truth. Here's the truth: we won.

I don't miss Rex at all.

I think that was pretty apparent. I thought they were going pass there if they snapped it personally. Spout off? Man you always buy the company line. It didn't bite them in the a$$ today but it could have easily. They were two 4th downs anyway from disaster on that last ATL possession .

Maybe. I thought it could have been that they were trying to draw the Falcons off. If they fell for it we would go from the half yard line but not the one yard line, and the delay penalty and five yards if they didn't jump would not make any difference.

Watched the game with a Falcons fan/buddy. Knowledgeable NFL fan - crushes me regularly in FFB.

He said it was a good call by McD to run clock and kick there. Sanu and Julio out - even as an ATL a, he knew they could not put the winning drive together without them - especially the way the Bills D had played all game..

Was surprized it was as close as it was.

We're still buds - they have a bye already next week and he is soooo happy for the non-div L and the 2 weeks for Julio and Sanu to get better.

No you go for it and get up two scores and end the game there.

You miss it your Defense is playing lights out and they have the ball at the 1/2 yardline with Jones/Sanu out.

It was an ultra conservative chicken shyt call

You lose more games than you win in the NFL when you take the FG there

Go for a touchdown and put the game away. The worst of the Jauron era resurfaces.

I didnt like the plau calls there either. It seems playing that style has always bit us jn the ass. We got lucky this time. Tyrod is not turnover prone so we cud have let him sling it for a 1st down but with j matthews out, zay with the yips and our defense playing well they chose to roll with that gameplan there. I really hope Matthews isnt out for long him and Tyrod started building chem. Same with EJ at CB hes been playing well too.

Ooo so what happened the very next drive? Just asking

They tied the game instead of going ahead by 3? They needed a TD instead of a FG at the end of the game? I don't agree with the conservative shell play calls, but taking the points was the right call there.

Edited by Scott7975

It's about the ability to sustain. Hauschka is not going to be booting 50+ field goals every game. You can't depend on that, hence it cannot be sustained. Right now it's great because we're winning. But decisions like McDermott made yesterday is going to end up costing this team wins.

No point missed. Take the sure 3 and force them to score a TD or lose. THATS what their 4th & 2 confronted them with in the end and they couldn't convert.

The 3 plays prior to the FG are where I took issue. I was fine with kicking the FG and I believe it was the right thing to do. I just would have been a little happier if they'd actually tried to get closer.