Ultra conservative play calling at the end

Steptide

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have loved to see killer instinct like going for it on fourth and goal or being aggressive after the pick but forcing Atlanta to burn timeouts was a smart move. COach put a lot of confidence in his defense and kicker!!!

I'm not sure the clock was ever a huge factor. I was kind of concerned that the Bills would need another drive and have no time left and maybe one TO.

One of these days the conservative play calling where we basically go into a shell just to preserve the FG is going to come back and bite us. Fortunately it didnt today.

Do you think going for a 55 yard FG instead of punting was conservative? Do you think basically an onside kick the Bills tried was conservative? Do you think they 5-6 long balls the Bills threw was conservative?

The first 4 games of the year... lol. Every game he has been conservative with play calling

The first 4 games of the year... lol. Every game he has been conservative with play calling

We threw the ball long all day. We went for a 55 yard FG twice instead of punting. We tried an onside kick after a TD in the second half. We have gone for it on fourth and one.

Do you think going for a 55 yard FG instead of punting was conservative? Do you think basically an onside kick the Bills tried was conservative? Do you think they 5-6 long balls the Bills threw was conservative?

We threw the ball long all day. We went for a 55 yard FG twice instead of punting. We tried an onside kick after a TD in the second half. We have gone for it on fourth and one.

Are you trying to convince me that running the ball with Tolbert, DiMarco and Tyrod on 3 consecutive downs to set up the FG is not conservative? McD was 100% always playing for the FG in that scenario.

I don't want to be Debbie downer today. I'm just as excited as the next guy. But calling those three run plays after the Hyde interception cannot happen weekly. It will end up costing the bills games. They have to be more aggressive at those times. Go bills. Can't believe we're 3-1!

Have to agree. Not going for the TD on 4th and goal from the 1 was even worse. It kept the Falcons in the game.

The real mistake was not going for it on 4th and goal from the 1 and make it a 10 point game. Kicking the FG there was weak.

It was worse than weak. It was a major blunder. Fotunately, the team overcame it.

Are you trying to convince me that running the ball with Tolbert, DiMarco and Tyrod on 3 consecutive downs to set up the FG is not conservative? McD was 100% always playing for the FG in that scenario.

I agree. To win the game. Which they did. He didn't know on second and third on those run calls we weren't going to get a lot of yards. It was to put them in a position to kick a long ass non conservative FG he was betting his kicker could make. And to make them use their timeouts or run the clock. Which worked. What I was saying was he was just trying to win THIS game, which he did, and his earlier decisions don't scream that he is always going to be conservative.

Here's the other thing, for all the pissing and moaning in the offseason about how "if our D last year had been good" we had to read on here.

This is what Defensive Ball control games looks like. TT has his chances and it's no surprise to me that McD didn't want to give him more at the end.

We won the game. D was playing well on the road. This O will be conservative this year. Live with it.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

The conservative calls are what you're going to get, Tyrod taylor is not good enough to carry this team on his shoulders. The great thing about him in these situations they have to watch out for Taylor running on them, let's face it if Tyrod Taylor is putting up big passing yards that usually means were behind on the scoreboard.

I agree. To win the game. Which they did. He didn't know on second and third on those run calls we weren't going to get a lot of yards. It was to put them in a position to kick a long ass non conservative FG he was betting his kicker could make. And to make them use their timeouts or run the clock. Which worked. What I was saying was he was just trying to win THIS game, which he did, and his earlier decisions don't scream that he is always going to be conservative.

Except it wasnt to win the game. It was to go up by 7 and Atlanta was getting the ball back with nearly 4 minutes on the clock. And like I said earlier, playing like that is not always going to work. And everything Ive seen so far tells me McD is another coach that likes to punt, kick FGs and play field position. I dont know if that will change but right now it is what it is and as long as we win games it isnt a huge issue. Its just something to keep an eye on going forward.

We also went for it on a 4th and 1 against I think the Panthers. I haven't seen anything to make me think McD is too conservative. The way the Bills organization is run now it wouldn't surprise me if we have an analytics guy running probability calculations on the sidelines and we're just taking the odds. Sometimes that means be conservative, sometimes it means be aggressive. Smart coaches need to have a balance.

I don't want to be Debbie downer today. I'm just as excited as the next guy. But calling those three run plays after the Hyde interception cannot happen weekly. It will end up costing the bills games. They have to be more aggressive at those times. Go bills. Can't believe we're 3-1!

If you don't want to be a Debbie downer then why are you? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Except it wasnt to win the game. It was to go up by 7 and Atlanta was getting the ball back with nearly 4 minutes on the clock. And like I said earlier, playing like that is not always going to work. And everything Ive seen so far tells me McD is another coach that likes to punt, kick FGs and play field position. I dont know if that will change but right now it is what it is and as long as we win games it isnt a huge issue. Its just something to keep an eye on going forward.

Fair enough. I don't think what he has shown makes him look like an overly conservative coach that will be overly conservative when we need to let it rip. That's possible. But to me there isn't reason to believe that yet. And so far his decisions have proven to be pretty good.

For example, I am not at all a conservative fan. If it were up to me, all of the decisions I would make no fan would say he is a conservative guy. But most of the conservative decisions he has made so far even I have agreed with. And I didn't come in being a fan of McD either. I was a prove it to me Fan rather than a give him the benefit of the doubt until he fails like I normally am.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Enlightening Chris Brown article regarding the 4th and 1:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2017/10/01/the-bills-4th-1-play-was-a-go-if/

On Buffalos marathon 19-play scoring drive that resulted in a short Stephen Hauschka field goal to push Buffalos lead to seven, the Bills had a chance to go for it on 4th-&-1 from the Falcons one-yard line. It appeared at first like they were in fact going for it. In the end Tyrod Taylor let the play clock run out to take a delay of game penalty. The play ran 40 seconds off the clock and Buffalo took the three points. But head coach Sean McDermott and Taylor both confirmed after the game that there was a play that was on to be executed if the Falcons defense gave them the right look.

Our thought process was to stay aggressive, said McDermott. I thought we did that. It doesnt mean that we always snap the ball to stay aggressive. We were looking for a look (from their defense) and we didnt get the look and thats what game management is.

Looking for an A gap that I could squeeze through at that point, said Taylor of the play. But they were trying to dog the backers. I didnt want to risk it. Figured we were better to walk away with three points rather than get greedy and not get any.

McDermott was asked if they got the look they wanted would they have snapped it.

Potentially, he said smiling.

Threw it all day long? Didn't Tyrod have like 21 passes? That is way below average in an NFL game. The 2 field goals were about the only things that were aggressive.

Kicking the field goal on the 1 yard line was conservative even for dick jauron standards

What would people be saying if we went for the TD on 4th and didn't get it? Does everyone realize that is a real possibility? How about if we threw on the last drive and left an extra half minute? We won! Get over it.

Enlightening Chris Brown article regarding the 4th and 1:http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2017/10/01/the-bills-4th-1-play-was-a-go-if/

Interesting. This is stuff we fans don't often know when we spout off.

Threw it all day long? Didn't Tyrod have like 21 passes? That is way below average in an NFL game. The 2 field goals were about the only things that were aggressive.

Kicking the field goal on the 1 yard line was conservative even for dick jauron standards

Tyrod and McDermott said they were going to go for it if the defense gave them the look they wanted and would kick it if they gave them a look their play wouldn't work.

Tyrod and McDermott said they were going to go for it if the defense gave them the look they wanted and would kick it if they gave them a look their play wouldn't work.

Still conservative regardless. If you get it, you are up 21-10 in the 4th. If you don't, Atlanta has to go 99 yards for the lead

Still conservative regardless. If you get it, you are up 21-10 in the 4th. If you don't, Atlanta has to go 99 yards for the lead

Exactly. And as I recall, ATL brought the ensuing KO back to the Bills' 42.