Ultra conservative play calling at the end

Steptide

I don't want to be Debbie downer today. I'm just as excited as the next guy. But calling those three run plays after the Hyde interception cannot happen weekly. It will end up costing the bills games. They have to be more aggressive at those times. Go bills. Can't believe we're 3-1!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about that 30 something yard pass to Clay on first down the drive before when we were tied right after that TD? Why aren't you mentioning that? How conservative was that? Go away.

Edited by Mark80

They were running the ball wee in the 2nd half, it forces Atlanta to use all their timeouts so can't fault too much,

I don't want to be Debbie downer today. I'm just as excited as the next guy. But calling those three run plays after the Hyde interception cannot happen weekly. It will end up costing the bills games. They have to be more aggressive at those times. Go bills. Can't believe we're 3-1!

How about that 30 something yard pass to Clay on first down the drive before when we were tied right after that pick? Why aren't you mentioning that? How conservative was that? Go away.

I don't think he's saying that nothing good happened. He was just talking about that one drive. I think it's fair to bring it up for discussion.

I don't think he's saying that nothing good happened. He was just talking about that one drive. I think it's fair to bring it up for discussion.

If the bills were up by 10, I would have no problem with it. Being up by 3 with 4? Mins left against Matt Ryan. Ya no thanks. Fortunately we won

Sorry, he wants to nit pick on "conservative" play calling after our biggest road win in how long and best start in how long, when the drive before with less than 7 minutes left they were anything but conservative calling that pass to Clay. Sorry, not today. Not letting it slide this time. Maybe on Tuesday or Wednesday it's worth discussing. Not today.

Edited by Mark80

I think the conservative play calling is a function of the faith placed in the defense and the kicker kicking a dome. McD knew that if he gained any sort of positive yards on those runs that he was wiling to kick that 55+ yarder. Although I would have went for a pass on first down because Atlanta knew a run was coming and they stunted the run and the Bills offense was basically there to kill the clock.

Expect "Conservative" play calling late in close games, a very good defense means you can afford to play not to lose games since you can count on your defense more often than not to bail you out. Bottom line you offense is more likely to lose you games than your defense. So expect your playcalling to reflect that.

This is what you do when you have a good defense......

McD has made calculated decisions based on what was happening in the game. We made the plays we made to win the game because that is what we had been doing the whole game previous. Both of the last two games we became conservative because and only because we had been efficient and good on defense. That's why Opie's had the offense go into a shell which kept us for more yards maybe but we win the game because of those decisions. If we weren't so good on defense he wouldn't have gone into a shell because we would have needed the points. I'm not a conservative fan by nature but I totally understood being conservative when they did the last couple games and they won both. So the decisions were good.

It doesn't mean they are always going to do that.

Sorry, he wants to nit pick on "conservative" play calling after our biggest road win in how long and best start in how long, when the drive before with less than 7 minutes left they were anything but conservative calling that pass to Clay. Sorry, not today. Not letting it slide this time. Maybe on Tuesday or Wednesday it's worth discussing. Not today.

I hear you, man. I'm trying to enjoy the win for today, too!

How about that 30 something yard pass to Clay on first down the drive before when we were tied right after that TD? Why aren't you mentioning that? How conservative was that? Go away.

How about the next throw to Clay that TT missed. All a coach can do is put players in the right position.

Between Z. Jones drops and TT misses, we could have thumped them...... but we still won.

This isn't a great team but they are scrappy and " Want to" can make a heck of a difference.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

Yes the second one was.

The One from the half yard line was a chicken shyt call

Normally I would go for that. If Julio Jones was in the game or our defense was not playing lights out I go for that. With the game the way it was and defense playing well and Jones\Sanu out, you kick it.

Normally I would go for that. If Julio Jones was in the game or our defense was not playing lights out I go for that. With the game the way it was and defense playing well and Jones\Sanu out, you kick it.

No you go for it and get up two scores and end the game there.

You miss it your Defense is playing lights out and they have the ball at the 1/2 yardline with Jones/Sanu out.

It was an ultra conservative chicken shyt call

You lose more games than you win in the NFL when you take the FG there

Edited by MAJBobby