Dareus Breakthrough

I have been hating on Dareus for a while (mostly to myself, not on this board), as I believe a lot of fans have been. Getting suspended last year, not being in shape, the apparent "whatever man" attitude. He is flamed, and deservedly, all the time on our board and in the press. This morning I was shocked to find myself feeling pangs of sympathy for Big Puff. The defense is getting rave reviews and, as McDermott has implied, the bus left without Dareus a few weeks ago. One tackle YTD.

But just maybe being sent home in the preseason and being left out of the praise the defense has won this year is just what was needed. At some point, you would think pride would motivate him. Leslie Frazier is emphatic that Dareus is fully bought in. Perhaps he is just being the good cop to McDermott's bad cop. But perhaps it is true. And if it was and Dareus elevated his game to 2014 levels, it would be like getting a high first round pick in mid-season for free, as we have got nothing from a pro-bowl caliber DT that we are already paying.

So starting today I give the big man his last chance (as if he is waiting on a chance from me!) I am pulling for him until he gives me a SINGLE reason not yo do so. One more suspension, one more disciplinary problem and I would cut his big butt, cap hit be damned. Now or never. But until then, I am an unrepentant Dareus fan. I am going to believe he finally gets the message and emerges as a dominant force in the middle following the bye when he is fully healthy. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Go Bills, get those dirty birds!

I have been hating on Dareus for a while (mostly to myself, not on this board), as I believe a lot of fans have been. Getting suspended last year, not being in shape, the apparent "whatever man" attitude. He is flamed, and deservedly, all the time on our board and in the press. This morning I was shocked to find myself feeling pangs of sympathy for Big Puff. The defense is getting rave reviews and, as McDermott has implied, the bus left without Dareus a few weeks ago. One tackle YTD.

But just maybe being sent home in the preseason and being left out of the praise the defense has won this year is just what was needed. At some point, you would think pride would motivate him. Leslie Frazier is emphatic that Dareus is fully bought in. Perhaps he is just being the good cop to McDermott's bad cop. But perhaps it is true. And if it was and Dareus elevated his game to 2014 levels, it would be like getting a high first round pick in mid-season for free, as we have got nothing from a pro-bowl caliber DT that we are already paying.

So starting today I give the big man his last chance (as if he is waiting on a chance from me!) I am pulling for him until he gives me a SINGLE reason not yo do so. One more suspension, one more disciplinary problem and I would cut his big butt, cap hit be damned. Now or never. But until then, I am an unrepentant Dareus fan. I am going to believe he finally gets the message and emerges as a dominant force in the middle following the bye when he is fully healthy. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Go Bills, get those dirty birds!

:lol: you are an optimist! I can't believe he'll ever be what he should be until i see it. :beer:

I'd love for him to. The d could be even better with his talent.

But the proof is in the product on the field. There's no reason Kyle plays the way he does and Dareus does not. There's your example.

I'll believe it when I see it. If not, just place his butt on the bench and unload him when you can.

In this D, I don't think Marcel's contribution can be easily summed up with tackle and sack numbers. I'll be paying attention to how many reps he gets, and the effectiveness of the Falcon run game when he's in there.

We all have our doubts and want to see it. Agree sacks and tackles are not the sole measure of the man here. Don't care what he makes money-wise, not a negative, he got what he could out of Whaley. I want to see him fired up and putting out effort. If he is and does, the rest should take care of himself. I have chosen to forgive, but not forget, all past sins and am rooting for him.

The thing that is hopeful about Marcel - it is not like he is incapable of being very good. But mentally I had kind of written him off.

Judge Dareus by how many blocks he is taking up. If he is getting double-teamed a majority of the day when he's in there, he's doing his job. If he's being handled 1 on 1, then you should really be getting more. But if he ties up 2 guys on a regular basis and allows the LBs to make plays, then he deserves all the credit in the world regardless of what the stat line says.

I 100% blame whaley for his lack of productivity. If you went to your job tommorow and they told you they were gonna pay you 100 million dollars, and guarantee you 50 million (or whatever it is) how much effort would u give? How can u give 100% when you're set for life? They gave him a terrible contract

They did give him a terrible contract. I would like to think I would still give 100% in whatever I chose to do, but clearly that is not so for all.

Whaley could not have known which kind person Marcel would be - so no outs was pretty dumb. However, I choose to believe Marcel has spent enough, smoked enough and ate enough to realize there is more to life than money. Go Marcel! Pride takes over. Nobody makes it as far as Marcel has on talent alone. He has performed at a high-level in the NFL. I choose to believe he is going to do so again.

My favorite all time play of his (with the exception of the skins game in toronto where he dominated the entire game and was an unblockable nightmare for them) was just last year in the last dolphins game when he ran down Jarvis Landry from behind and tackled him on a dive. Basically an impossible play for a 330lb dude, still fresh in my mind.

He has such talent below the neck.