Eric Lee DE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he plays well could make davis expendable for that precious comp pick

I was thinking same thing. Shaq should be back for Tampa game after bye if not next week. Could cut Davis during bye week if Shaq is fine and hope he clears waivers. Bills could then resign Davis if they choose.

I am thankful to the posters in this thread that have said "hey, thanks OP for digging this out." I am a diehard Bills fan and have been since age 4. It is the 50th anniversary month of my first game vs. Raiders in 1967 at the Rockpile. Live in NYC area now, but going 10.29 to see the Raiders and celebrate that 50th anniversary in honor of my now-deceased Dad who took me to the game.

I love coming on this site and reading about our Bills, but sometimes all the negativity sucks the joy out of it. I am an optimist, and it wears on me. So thanks to all of you, when I saw my post had a bunch of replies I expected to see "just a scrub" and "so we are dumpster diving." You all brightened my day.

P.S. Found Texans fan stuff on one of their sites that is like this one. I will try to re-find and post if I can.

Did as deep a dive as I could on DE Eric Lee who we just promoted from practice squad. May not be just a guy. He was a 225 lb freshman at USF. Now a 6'3" 260lb defensive end. By comparison, Hughes is 6'2" 256 (also similar to our emerging Eddie Yarbrough - who btw had at least 3 great plays vs Denver -- who is 6'3" 259). Lee is a "quick twitch" athlete with very long limbs. He is unbelievably fast for a DE - ran a 4.56 at his USF pro day. He looks the part.

Had a bunch of sacks in preseason for Texans, but was caught in a numbers game there. Texans fans not happy he was cut. He is also a classic McDermott "high character" guy - team captain, academic honors. Maybe we have something. Limited highlights on him look good. Scouting report out of college said his game is upfield, but he lacks power. That was 20 lbs ago. Two years of being around NFL clubs may have allowed him to address the power point. He looks very powerful now. Was extensively tutored by Mike Vrabel at Texans, who were trying to make him an OLB.

Hey. Just wondering where you found his 40 time at 4.56? I can only find a 4.72. Edited by Not at the table Karlos

40 Time came from an old USF press release - has a headline that does not mention Lee, but is something like "NFL Scouts Show Interest in Several USF Seniors. I will look for that too. I think the 4.72 was his combine workout. When I saw the 4.56 on his pro day I was like "holy crud."

Here is a link to the pro day results. Check out the bench too.

http://bigcountypreps.com/181/2016-usf-pro-day-numbers/

Here is another that talks about it a little bit. He is a "D" end, he says, but worked out as a linebacker to show versatility. Texans tried to force him as a OLB in their 3-4. Not his natural position or the one he is most comfortable in.

http://www.usforacle.com/news/view.php/1018514/NFL-hopefuls-make-first-impressions-at-p

And for the fan above who asked for a link on "fans were upset he was cut" - having a hard time re-finding it. But this makes a similar point - that he was having a strong camp this year. I will look a little more for the fan thing too. I believe he had two sacks in the Saints game referenced below, not sure what the "impressive debut" game was.

>> Eric Lee keeps trending upward during Training Camp after an impressive preseason debut. The inside linebacker was again active in the front seven against the Saints, but special teams will likely be where he’ll need to show out to make this team

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2016/08/18/nfl-texans-camp-confidential-818-joint-practice-nick-martin-deandre-hopkins/

I am thankful to the posters in this thread that have said "hey, thanks OP for digging this out." I am a diehard Bills fan and have been since age 4. It is the 50th anniversary month of my first game vs. Raiders in 1967 at the Rockpile. Live in NYC area now, but going 10.29 to see the Raiders and celebrate that 50th anniversary in honor of my now-deceased Dad who took me to the game.

I love coming on this site and reading about our Bills, but sometimes all the negativity sucks the joy out of it. I am an optimist, and it wears on me. So thanks to all of you, when I saw my post had a bunch of replies I expected to see "just a scrub" and "so we are dumpster diving." You all brightened my day.

P.S. Found Texans fan stuff on one of their sites that is like this one. I will try to re-find and post if I can.

As the son of a coach who grew up around the game as well I can tell you I never discount these signings and would never call it dumpster diving

Every player in the NFL is talented. 90% never find the right scheme fit

Hope he's another gem!

Hey. Just wondering where you found his 40 time at 4.56? I can only find a 4.72.

I dug the OP- the only thing that concerned me was posting that his 40 was really fast coming out, and he was explosive as an athlete but not strong. It then came around to adding 20 lbs of muscle which is great.

But it never married the two measurements

If he truly had the speed (seems you question that) and was able to keep it while bulking, that would be promising. What's tough on a lot of these depth tweener type prospects is they end up only being one or the other. Certainly worth watching though!

And for the fan above who asked for a link on "fans were upset he was cut" - having a hard time re-finding it. But this makes a similar point - that he was having a strong camp this year. I will look a little more for the fan thing too. I believe he had two sacks in the Saints game referenced below, not sure what the "impressive debut" game was.

>> Eric Lee keeps trending upward during Training Camp after an impressive preseason debut. The inside linebacker was again active in the front seven against the Saints, but special teams will likely be where hell need to show out to make this team

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2016/08/18/nfl-texans-camp-confidential-818-joint-practice-nick-martin-deandre-hopkins/

Thank you. Appreciate the post!

So you didn't believe me? Why would l lie to you guys - check out the links posted above and say you're sorry.

I'm pretty sure the "extrapolate" line is a new TSW one-liner joke. It got going in the Orton/Wall thread. It's like deers, don't let him leave the building, at the airport, in a Ford Tempo, etc.

I dug the OP- the only thing that concerned me was posting that his 40 was really fast coming out, and he was explosive as an athlete but not strong. It then came around to adding 20 lbs of muscle which is great.

But it never married the two measurements

If he truly had the speed (seems you question that) and was able to keep it while bulking, that would be promising. What's tough on a lot of these depth tweener type prospects is they end up only being one or the other. Certainly worth watching though!

The reality is that he was probably a depth tweener for the Texans who run a 3-4. That means he can concentrate on fewer assignments/gaps in a 4-3 as an end. Hopefully it works out. If it doesn't, we're just back to where we were when Shaq got dinged.

Edited by dulles

I'm pretty sure the "extrapolate" line is a new TSW one-liner joke. It got going in the Orton/Wall thread. It's like deers, don't let him leave the building, at the airport, in a Ford Tempo, etc.

The reality is that he was probably a depth tweener for the Texans who run a 3-4. That means he can concentrate on fewer assignments/gaps in a 4-3 as an end. Hopefully it works out. If it doesn't, we're just back to where we were when Shaq got dinged.

Yup. I'm all for cycling through guys on the back end of the roster and finding the right ones to develop. My point was that the OP painted an incredibly optimistic run down of the skill set and measurables this one has.

He could make it, he could flop, but odds are he's not a 6'2, 260lbs end running in the 4.5s (but that doesn't mean he's bad)

Good post man, dont let all the negative people ruin it. Most of us still come here to talk Bills and I haven't felt this good about the team in years. Nice research too. I hadn't heard of him but he sounds like more than just a guy.

Thanks for helping me out.

Yup. I'm all for cycling through guys on the back end of the roster and finding the right ones to develop. My point was that the OP painted an incredibly optimistic run down of the skill set and measurables this one has.

He could make it, he could flop, but odds are he's not a 6'2, 260lbs end running in the 4.5s (but that doesn't mean he's bad)

It's fun to consider building a Team under a New Staff. Hopeful perhaps?

Yes.

But fun as well.