What if pro-life players demonstrated during the anthem?

What if they prostrated themselves (laying face down, flat...a religiously humbling position) during the national anthem?

Please, I am not trying to start a debate on this board about the politics of the abortion issue but more just a "what if"...what would you feel about that?

It's freedom of speech. It's most likely a position by those players to give a voice to the innocent.

Btw, just for the record, I am not against the current protests. I wish they wouldn't do it during the national anthem, but I do get it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What if they prostrated themselves (laying face down, flat...a religiously humbling position) during the national anthem?

Please, I am not trying to start a debate on this board about the politics of the abortion issue but more just a "what if"...what would you feel about that?

It's freedom of speech. It's most likely a position by those players to give a voice to the innocent.

Btw, just for the record, I am not against the current protests. I wish they wouldn't do it during the national anthem, but I do get it.

A bunch of people would get offended, then a bunch of people would become offended by the people who are offended. Those people would then be found offensive by those initially offended. There'd be a flurry of viral social media posts, it would be the hott st topic everyone is talking about.

Then some other thing would happen and people would start worrying about how/if that offends them

It would be much, much more controversial.

I think it was proven by Tim Tebow, people do NOT like religious demonstration in sports, even if you're a choir boy.

The social media lynch mob would be out in force, more than what you've seen against the kneelers.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

A bunch of people would get offended, then a bunch of people would become offended by the people who are offended. Those people would then be found offensive by those initially offended. There'd be a flurry of viral social media posts, it would be the hott st topic everyone is talking about.

Then some other thing would happen and people would start worrying about how/if that offends them

I love you, man! Exactly!

Actually, to get to what may be my point (I'm not even sure) we either need to get rid of the protests or get rid of the anthem...or let it happen and have it play out its course.

If the team owner was OK with it then it's fine. And I may agree or disagree.

While some prefer to do this to players who demonstrate: giphy.gif

Gun rights advocates should do this during the national anthem: giphy.gif

Players who want lower taxes could do this: giphy.gif

Those that want a stronger military could demonstrate their feelings by doing this: giphy.gif

Meanwhile people in the stands and watching at home could show their disinterest in WTF players think and feel could do this: giphy.gif

How long before we see this: giphy.gif

And sooner or later the advertisers will be doing this: giphy.gif

As for me... giphy.gif

Despite the sarcastic comments, it's a legitimate question.

I'm very much in favor of sports figures using their fame for good causes. I'm very much in favor of them speaking their mind on public issues. I'm very much in favor of peaceful protesting. I'm very much in favor of freedom of speech. But I just wish they had kept politics out of the sport itself. There is a time and place for everything. And this wasn't it.

By using NFL games and the National Anthem, these football players have caused a massive distraction. Sports should be a time for us to stop the serious political talk and relax. Instead of enjoying the Bills win this week, my mind has been on the protests. This has also drawn a line in the sand (to borrow a quote from Eric Wood) among the American citizens. Support football or the support the United States. Many people feel like they can't do both. The media (as usual) is using this whole thing as more ammunition to make the president look crazy and out-of-touch with the American people. But there is a large chunk of the population that agrees 100% with his comments, and you better believe this whole thing will negatively hurt football's ratings in the end.

I'd then watch the game and probably drink beer.

Despite the sarcastic comments, it's a legitimate question.

I'm very much in favor of sports figures using their fame for good causes. I'm very much in favor of them speaking their mind on public issues. I'm very much in favor of peaceful protesting. I'm very much in favor of freedom of speech. But I just wish they had kept politics out of the sport itself. There is a time and place for everything. And this wasn't it.

By using NFL games and the National Anthem, these football players have caused a massive distraction. Sports should be a time for us to stop the serious political talk and relax. Instead of enjoying the Bills win this week, my mind has been on the protests. This has also drawn a line in the sand (to borrow a quote from Eric Wood) among the American citizens. Support football or the support the United States. Many people feel like they can't do both. The media (as usual) is using this whole thing as more ammunition to make the president look crazy and out-of-touch with the American people. But there is a large chunk of the population that agrees 100% with his comments, and you better believe this whole thing will negatively hurt football's ratings in the end.

Far as I can tell, the protests did not disrupt the games for one second. All started on time and did not have any effect once the games began.

If by "distraction" the protests have called attention to a major social issue, well, then mission accomplished.

The left wing never accepts religious protests unless its Muslims, which is ironic because Sharia law is the opposite of what they believe in.

You don't believe American Muslims have the right to protest?