Hughes doesn't get why Jim Kelly is on the field in 2017

YoloinOhio

I think the team wants to move past the 90s stars being the face of the franchise

This is where I am at and not really because of yesterday just in general. Team success has lacked big time but still need to be a bit more current somehow. Guys like Ruben Brown, Eric Moulds, Moorman, and even Eric Schobel were very good players who played after 2000 that deserve more time. Moulds especially gets kinda lost in the shuffle for some reason and he was excellent.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything Kelly should have learned from the "bickering Bills" and aired his indifference behind closed doors.

No disrespect to Jim Kelly, but I kind of agree with Hughes. If he is truely helping the team fine, be on the sideline. Encourage. Give tips. Do some leadership stuff. Don't go there for nostalgia purposes. At this point he is just a glorified fan of the team with special privelages because of who he is. Most of the team probably never even seen him play football.

just speaking for old-timers like me.. and essentially for myself.. Hughes should not go there.. i know all the millennials do not get Kelly. and what he means.. but not a place i would trespass on .. JMHO.. and i do not want to exclude the non- millennials. im sure there are Kelly haters.. learned that from another thread..

We get what Kelly means, I still watch the 90s highlights because of what those teams did and meant for all of us. Heck I have a picture with my wife with Jim from years back that is in my office. My issue with JK is he is a Bills employee/representative and in that capacity you shouldn't undercut your own organization. It seems the team, coaches, and owners had a good meeting Saturday to discuss the issues at hand and how to handle Sunday. Jim had zero reason to be on the field given the circumstances. If Kelly was in the same shoes in the late 80s and OJ was throwing his .02's back when OJ was the face it wouldn't have went well.

At this point I just hope it blows over quickly so everyone focuses on ATL. I still love Jim regardless of politics and want the team to keep moving forward playing good football.

Edited by corta765

@mikerodak

Bills DE Jerry Hughes said Monday he does "not understand" why Jim Kelly is on the field before games, adding, "We are the 2017 Buffalo Bills. Were focused on the future. Were focused on winning games. If he wants to offer anything of encouragement to our team, to our quarterbacks, to our offense, please provide all of that. We could use all the encouragement we need to figure out how they won games back in those days and be successful as they were. But were trying to bring a team together, were trying to bring a community together, were trying to bring a nation together. And by dividing us, by dividing the team, that doesnt work."

He's not a part of the team, yet he criticizes them to the media. It's not a good look.

No one from the actual team made a critical statement, or caused a rift in the locker room. The former QB who retired 20+ years ago did.

If you want to be on the sideline and be a helpful mentor, you're more than welcome. If you're going to be on the sideline, push an agenda, and make it about you.. maybe you shouldn't be on the sideline. Your time has passed...

Edited by dneveu

It was also reported that Kelly was yelling at players after the anthem was finished.

So the current team met, agreed to stand/kneel united, and an ex-player (still paid by the team, no less), decided to make his own statement and yell at current players in the process?

Sorry Jim. Not your place anymore.

It was also reported that Kelly was yelling at players after the anthem was finished.

So the current team met, agreed to stand/kneel united, and an ex-player (still paid by the team, no less), decided to make his own statement and yell at current players in the process?

This franchise needs to move past the old glory days..

Letting go is hard for Jimbo. This will be interesting to watch play out, especially with coach McD trying to build a new culture...

We get what Kelly means, I still watch the 90s highlights because of what those teams did and meant for all of us. Heck I have a picture with my wife with Jim from years back that is in my office. My issue with JK is he is a Bills employee/representative and in that capacity you shouldn't undercut your own organization. It seems the team, coaches, and owners had a good meeting Saturday to discuss the issues at hand and how to handle Sunday. Jim had zero reason to be on the field given the circumstances. If Kelly was in the same shoes in the late 80s and OJ was throwing his .02's back when OJ was the face it wouldn't have went well.

At this point I just hope it blows over quickly so everyone focuses on ATL. I still love Jim regardless of politics and want the team to keep moving forward playing good football.

i like jim BECAUSE of his politics.. and forever cementing the Bills back to relevance after a decade of malaise. and quite honestly two decades of irrelevance

I think the team wants to move past the 90s stars being the face of the franchise

...EXACTLY....let them establish their own identity.......Kelly's yap only degrades HIMSELF......who and where was HIS ownership group (COUGH)?......Grandma said, "better seen and not heard sonny".................

Best way to bring people together is to exclude those with a different view.

He walked onto the field unannounced, joined the team, then went onto social media to bash the team for something they had a meeting about and agreed upon. Highschool move.

Edited by Elite Poster