Hughes doesn't get why Jim Kelly is on the field in 2017

YoloinOhio

@mikerodak

Bills DE Jerry Hughes said Monday he does "not understand" why Jim Kelly is on the field before games, adding, "We are the 2017 Buffalo Bills. Were focused on the future. Were focused on winning games. If he wants to offer anything of encouragement to our team, to our quarterbacks, to our offense, please provide all of that. We could use all the encouragement we need to figure out how they won games back in those days and be successful as they were. But were trying to bring a team together, were trying to bring a community together, were trying to bring a nation together. And by dividing us, by dividing the team, that doesnt work."

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, the "he criticized our beliefs and that was wrong, so let me criticize his beliefs" argument.

But the statement that he hid that sentiment behind has merit. I have wondered for a while what JK is doing on the sideline, or Ray Lewis in Baltimore, Jim Brown in Cleveland, etc....

I mean, everyone's opinion about this remark is going to be a reflection of how they feel about the whole kneeling issue.

However, to the broader point, it is a little odd that we keep him around like we do. Buffalo is a special, tight community compared to other teams in bigger markets, but he doesn't really have a purpose on our sideline during games.

I mean, everyone's opinion about this remark is going to be a reflection of how they feel about the whole kneeling issue.

However, to the broader point, it is a little odd that we keep him around like we do. Buffalo is a special, tight community compared to other teams in bigger markets, but he doesn't really have a purpose on our sideline during games.

Former NFL players are allowed field passes on a first come first serve basis up to the limit home teams allow.

I can see his point about wanting Kelly to talk to them before. Agree with it or not, apparently everyone on the team and the coaches talked about what they were going to do, and probably knew who would stand, who wouldn't, ect. If Kelly wasn't in that team meeting, then it might be a suprise to the players if someone else shows up and does something different. It is the opposite of a show of unity that way.

As a Bills fan born in the early 80s, obviously I am a big fan of Jimbo. Hughes is right, either you are one of us or you are not. If you are not, please get off of our sideline. That's what I'd expect of a player. They take offense if you criticize them or their teammates.

No disrespect to Jim Kelly, but I kind of agree with Hughes. If he is truely helping the team fine, be on the sideline. Encourage. Give tips. Do some leadership stuff. Don't go there for nostalgia purposes. At this point he is just a glorified fan of the team with special privelages because of who he is. Most of the team probably never even seen him play football.

just speaking for old-timers like me.. and essentially for myself.. Hughes should not go there.. i know all the millennials do not get Kelly. and what he means.. but not a place i would trespass on .. JMHO.. and i do not want to exclude the non- millennials. im sure there are Kelly haters.. learned that from another thread..

Edited by dwight in philly