How would you rate Dion Dawkins 1st start?v

CEN-CAL17

I think that Zay would have really benefited from a Sammy Watkins type presence at the receiver position. That's not to say that I don't think that the Sammy trade was good but rather that the offense not having a true number 1 receiving option could be impacting his ability to get good matchups.

Jordan Matthews is a nice player but he isn't a number one receiver, Charles Clay is a solid tight end but he isn't a dominating presence like Gronk or Kelce, and they don't have another high end receiving option out there. So Zay is going to see a lot of high end coverage coming his way. That's going to result is less production and it could be impacting his confidence.

I think Zay figures it out and I also think that the coaching staff finds a way to get him involved and get his confidence going. Although I don't think any receiver or tight end puts up monster numbers on this offense, simply because the defense will likely be good enough to keep them in most games and the rush attack will be the most effective way to move the ball. Also the offense will be low risk in general to avoid turnovers.

I agree with you that currently that the Bills don't have a #1 receiver. And I agree with you not having that caliber of receiver does impact Jay Zones as far as not opening up the field for the secondary receivers. As you suggested there is no point in re-litigating that trade. (Even acknowledging Watkins's dynamic talents I understand why the deal was made.)

As others have stated I think that once Jones makes some catches he will play with more confidence. In college Zay Jones was a high volume receiver. I'm sure that the more he plays and he will become much more dependable as a receiver. I'm confident that when the season is finished our top three picks will turn out to be good picks, especially our first pick who I think is a gem.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does someone so big get pushed back so far by someone so small?

It is all about leverage.

Small guy hits big guy when big guy is stepping back slightly off balance and can bull rush him to the ground. Law of averages says the big guy wins more often but small guy wins too.

Just like in a fight. Push the chargers head in direction it is going and you can put him on the ground.

I thought the sacks were coming from RT side?

One came from Jordan Mills, one from Shelby whooping Richie. The third one was for Deion Jones pushing him out of bounds for no gain :D

Which is a good thing?

If I notice you, you either did a very bad or a very good thing. Kid was solid.

Reports from game two have said Dawkins was solid. Have to wonder what the plan is when Glenn gets healthy. If Dawkins continues his growth at LT, do we move him to RT when Glenn gets healthy? Do we try Glenn at RT?

The Falcons were his second start ... but Joe B's film study had Dawkins as the best OL for the Bills in this game and their fifth-best player for the game.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-buffalo-bills-all-22-review-vs-atlanta-falcons-10_3_17-?page=2

"As White was outstanding on the defensive side of the ball, the team’s second-round pick Dion Dawkins just so happened to have his best game as a professional on Sunday. Dawkins was starting at left tackle in place of the injured Cordy Glenn for the second straight week, and really, he was the best offensive lineman on the field against the Falcons. This week, it was a bit easier on him from a matchup perspective as the Falcons had a backup player in the game due to injury. However, Dawkins showed much better in pass blocking than he had previously, and helped pave the way for some solid gains for LeSean McCoy on the ground. Dawkins’ most recent performance should just reinforce the point that the Bills just need to let normal starter Cordy Glenn all the way without feeling like they have to force him back into the lineup."

Not a good game by Dawkins yesterday: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-cincinnati-bengals-20-buffalo-bills-16/

OT Dion Dawkins, 42.4 overall grade

Following a strong Week 4 performance (83.7 overall grade), Dawkins’ third career start was not quite up to that same level. Dawkins allowed three pressures on the afternoon (two sacks and a hit) to go with just a 38.2 run blocking grade, a steep decline from the elite 92.0 run blocking grade he posted against Atlanta.