I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

Robert Woods and Sammy were able to catch footballs that hit them in the hands as rookies.

Playing in the SEC and Pac-10 is a bit higher level of competition than the American Athletic Conference. I'm sure Woods and Sammy were a lot more comfotrtable playing on a big NFL stage as rookies than Zay has appeard so far...

Playing in the SEC and Pac-10 is a bit higher level of competition than the American Athletic Conference. I'm sure Woods and Sammy were a lot more comfotrtable playing on a big NFL stage as rookies than Zay has appeard so far...

Yes the competition level is higher. The ball is the same. He caught them. Now he's not.

His stats haven't been too good. Is it a case where they not scheming and targeting him, or he simply doesn't have the athleticism to get in and out of his breaks to get free from NFL level coverage?

Neither. He's dropping balls that hit both hands. Had two drops today. One should have been a TD and we were lucky it bounced to Holmes for the TD.

His stats haven't been too good. Is it a case where they not scheming and targeting him, or he simply doesn't have the athleticism to get in and out of his breaks to get free from NFL level coverage?

I'm sure he's athletic enough, but not naturally smooth and elusive off the line a la Sammy. Not unusual for a rook to struggle there, but the drops are a problem now.

Edited by Boatdrinks

Neither. He's dropping balls that hit both hands. Had two drops today. One should have been a TD and we were lucky it bounced to Holmes for the TD.

Exactly.

It's also important to note that these drops are through traffic on balls being zipped in. No excuses because they should be caught, but this is something correctable

I think Zay had the yips at the moment. It's like a golfer. After the drop last week, he's trying so hard and wants to do so well. I feel for him. He's a great kid that cares. Next week the Bills should come out and run a couple of rollout drags to him for easy catches. He needs to get his confidence back. He's a really talented player but it's in his head at the moment.

...yup...genetics play a HUGE role....yet another astute assessment....what if he was adopted?...now what?..................

I do think that a guy who has been around the NFL his whole life, who has a dad who was a player and teaches him what being in the NFL take and what the league is all about is an advantage. It's not really genetics. The same way that the son of a high school coach is usually a distinct advantage.