I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

I get that Zay is doing very bad, but can we get an honest breakdown on how many were catchable?

Catchable means him not having to jump up or dive for the ball, or passes that were OOB. (even by an inch)

Catchable at the NFL level is anything that hits you in the hands.

I recall the first three targets he had on Sunday all being catchable passes. He had to fight for the ball, but that's life in the NFL. You need to out muscle DBs and secure passes when you're covered, and he's simply not doing that.

7 catches on 32 attempts for 87 yards is as bad as it gets. He has no business being on the field right now.

I get that Zay is doing very bad, but can we get an honest breakdown on how many were catchable?

Catchable means him not having to jump up or dive for the ball, or passes that were OOB. (even by an inch)

I dont know how reliable this is but according to Mike Rodak:

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/923534378550079490

Of Zay Jones 32 official targets this season, 12 have been uncatchable passes from Tyrod Taylor

That would mean hes caught 7 out of 20 catchable passes.

Of Zay Jones 32 official targets this season, 12 have been uncatchable passes from Tyrod Taylor

thanks HappyDays. .35 is better than .22. It still sucks, but at least I got a clearer picture.

The targets to catch stat isn't helpful. What's he supposed to do when five of his targets aren't catchable?

The first pass of the game would have been a tough catch, the defender was right on him. If your going to criticize him on that play, criticize the route.

The one he bobbled was a clear drop.

The deep throw into the end zone, he needs to do better at selling the out route, the LB never fell for that. He still might have had it had he not been tripped up.

Obviously he needs to do better, but you can't just look at 2 catches on 9 targets and make a conclusion about his performance.

And yet, with the same QB throwing, all the other Bills receivers have a much higher rate of catches. How ya 'splain that?

thanks HappyDays. .35 is better than .22. It still sucks, but at least I got a clearer picture.

Its beyond sucking. A 50% catch rate on catchable balls I would consider terrible. Anything below that is disgustingly bad. He doesnt get open in man coverage either. Zay has been an outright bust so far. Other rookie receivers are producing so his experience isnt an excuse.

Chemistry between a Qb and Wr is tricky. This is a very unique situation. He is thrown to a lot. I do not recall Watkins getting this kind of pass share. Now Taylor and Jones are still working on getting on the same page but without any in game production its still a little bizarre seeing the amount of passes going his way. Its a complete reckless speculation but Jones must be balling out in practice and looking good to where he is a large part of the game plan. For whatever reason he has not made the best of the situations but obviously Taylor has a lot of faith in him.

@mikerodak

Of Zay Jones’ 32 official targets this season, 12 have been uncatchable passes from Tyrod Taylor

https://t.co/IIOkjU335z

PFT: Zay Jones says criticism of his play is fair

In a film review of the Bills’ first six games, Mike Rodak of ESPN found that 12 of those passes were not catchable but the remaining numbers still aren’t where they need to be for a starting wideout. That’s led to criticism and Jones isn’t arguing against it.

“It’s fair,” Jones said, via ESPN.com. “I expect a lot of myself. I know my coaches do. The players around me do. It’s really fair, to be honest. Wherever the ball is, it’s my job to catch it and do the best I can. I accept it fully and do the best I can. So I accept it fully. I’m not running from it. But I know things are going to get better. My time will come.”

His route running and body control have been suspect as well..........both were huge factors in the drop that cost them the Carolina game.........some of that might be figured into the "catchable" drops category already but not all of it. It's a little odd that that typically accurate Taylor has had some very inaccurate looking throws to Dropzone.

Its beyond sucking. A 50% catch rate on catchable balls I would consider terrible. Anything below that is disgustingly bad. He doesnt get open in man coverage either. Zay has been an outright bust so far. Other rookie receivers are producing so his experience isnt an excuse.

So far Zay Jones has been everything the negatives on his scouting report said he could be.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/zay-jones?id=2557863

• plays slow
  • doesn't stretch the field
  • doesn't have a second gear to create separation
  • unable to shake tight coverage
  • limited after the catch

His "bottom line" said he needs to show he can create separation if he's going to ever become anything more than a reserve at the NFL level, and so far he's failed miserably in that area.

So far Zay Jones has been everything the negatives on his scouting report said he could be.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/zay-jones?id=2557863

• plays slow
  • doesn't stretch the field
  • doesn't have a second gear to create separation
  • unable to shake tight coverage
  • limited after the catch

His "bottom line" said he needs to show he can create separation if he's going to ever become anything more than a reserve at the NFL level, and so far he's failed miserably in that area.

You don't need a ton of separation for most QB's to throw you the ball on the NFL level (arguably this isn't true for Taylor, but that's a whole other can of worms). His issue is just that when he is being thrown the ball, he isn't catching it. Tyrod would not continue to force the ball to Zay if Zay is not getting any separation. This is not a separation issue, it's a catching the ball issue

You don't need a ton of separation for most QB's to throw you the ball on the NFL level (arguably this isn't true for Taylor, but that's a whole other can of worms). His issue is just that when he is being thrown the ball, he isn't catching it. Tyrod would not continue to force the ball to Zay if Zay is not getting any separation. This is not a separation issue, it's a catching the ball issue

I disagree.

Most of the times Jones is thrown the ball the defender is draped all over him because he can't create any separation. Defenders just sit in his back pocket and break on the ball when it's in the air. A lot of passes are catchable because they're hitting him in the hands, but they're still contested because he can't shake man coverage.

@JonScottTV

Jordan Matthews has become a big brother to the struggling Zay Jones. Why? Because he sees himself in the rookie. More 2nite. #Bills

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/923625117522915328/pu/vid/1280x720/jR2sHc1dW4iOF4Hv.mp4

Nice 👍🏻

Edited by ShadyBillsFan