I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

I expected him to get off to a much better start given his family's NFL background and his College production.

The NFL is a lot faster than the games at East Carolina State. The wheels in his head are tuning too slowly, but that shold change as the season progresses.

A bit of diffence in level of competition: :doh:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/american/2016.html

Edited by Lurker

As they say, WR is one of the toughest positions to learn in the pros.

The NFL is a lot faster than the games at East Carolina State.

The wheels in his head are tuning too slowly, but that shold change as the season progresses...

Catching the ball cleanly seems to be his biggest issue.

Sure, a bit...

But none of our wide receivers have more than 3 receptions in any of our first 3 games.

Tyrod Taylor doesn't throw down the field this year. Just check downs to RBs and some passes to the TEs. We might as well not have WRs.

Week 3 - 6 WR receptions

Matthews: 3

Holmes: 2

K. Clay: 1

Week 2 - 7 WR receptions

Matthews: 3

Holmes: 2

Jones: 2

Week 1 - 4 WR receptions

Matthews: 2

Jones: 1

Holmes: 1

Edited by Kaenon

Catching the ball cleanly seems to be his biggest issue.

He's had some attempts that would be difficult for seasoned vets. That ball that bounced off his hands in the EZ today was catchable, but tough nevertheless.

Still, it bears watching. I thought his technique was weak on the ball he droped in the Carolina game--jumped unnecessarily and/or too soon, making the attempt that much harder than it needed to be.

Dude can't catch a cold.

I don't want to have to bust out the B word yet. Hopefully he starts catching soon.

On the TD, smart move by Dennison to keep a receiver behind Zay that might be able to catch the football after it goes through his hands.

Edited by reddogblitz