I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

For the NFL, Jones is a polished wideout who should be able to compete quickly. He has good hands and is very reliable to secure the ball. Additioanlly, he has very good technique to snatch the ball out of the air with his hands and secure it.

There is no doubt that Jones is a quality route-runner and doesn't have wasted steps or get sloppy with his body control. Jones has a quick release off the line and is sudden in and out of his breaks. Because of that, Jones is dependable to generate separation and get open for his quarterback. Jones is quick and uses his size well in the open field to get yards after the catch, too. He is also very good at tracking the ball and has late hands to reel the ball in. While Jones isn't a burner, he is a threat to challenge teams over the top with his quickness and ability to make difficult catches.

This is who we got, give him time and he will be an excellent #2 WR. I think Matthews is a rental and KB/ZJ will be our tandem going forward.

Call of the Game: Taylor to Jones 10 Yard Touchdown Pass (0:32)

Listen and watch as John Murphy gives this week's Hilbert Call of the Game. Quarterback Tyrod Taylor finds Wide Receiver Zay Jones in the back of the end zone for his first career touchdown reception.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

So,  is Joe saying to give a Rookie time to adapt to the NFL and hopefully improve? 

What a concept.  Who'd have thunk it!!! 

I mean you traded up and used a top 40 pick on the guy. Zay caught 399 balls in college; the most ever. He’s certainly worth investing patience in.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I mean you traded up and used a top 40 pick on the guy. Zay caught 399 balls in college; the most ever. He’s certainly worth investing patience in.

yet we've seen fans attack him, already labeling him as a bust.  patience is hard with this team, but i assume zay will be more than ok.

42 minutes ago, teef said:

yet we've seen fans attack him, already labeling him as a bust.  patience is hard with this team, but i assume zay will be more than ok.

Do you think that it is out of line though for fans to expect a borderline 1st round pick to be graded out higher than the worst WR in the NFL? That’s where he was earlier in the year. He is certainly worth investing the time in but he wasn’t wrongly criticized either. He’s shown signs of being the player that they had hoped for. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do you think that it is out of line though for fans to expect a borderline 1st round pick to be graded out higher than the worst WR in the NFL? That’s where he was earlier in the year. He is certainly worth investing the time in but he was wrongly criticized either. He’s shown signs of being the player that they had hoped for. 

wrongly criticized for poor play?  no.  wrongly accused of having a lousy future in the nfl.  yes.  wrs take time, and zay had some serious jitters.  it was wrong to make absolute assumptions for the future of this team based on what's happening this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, teef said:

wrongly criticized for poor play?  no.  wrongly accused of having a lousy future in the nfl.  yes.  wrs take time, and zay had some serious jitters.  it was wrong to make absolute assumptions for the future of this team based on what's happening this year.

This is more than fair and absolutely true. Good post 

47 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agreed,

yet it took how many pages in this thread before people came to realize OOPS I misjudged him.  

Page 16 of this thread people were still calling him a bust.   Why did most of those "critics" stop posting ??   crow stuck in their throat?   ;)

Edited by ShadyBillsFan