If Saquan Barkley really is a better NFL prospect than Zeke.

YoloinOhio

They are one of four i think would sell their pick or at least not take a QB

San Fran

Chicago

Indy

Cle

Assuming SF signs Cousins, how can they justify trading out of their draft spot and passing up on a talent like Barkley to pair with their high priced QB?

Same with the Colts who are married to Luck and Chicago to Trubisky

Cleveland on the other hand, well the Browns are the Browns. This is the team that opted to draft a TE instead of Ben Roethlesberger

Assuming SF signs Cousins, how can they justify trading out of their draft spot and passing up on a talent like Barkley to pair with their high priced QB?

Cleveland on the other hand, well the Browns are the Browns. This is the team that opted to draft a TE instead of Ben Roethlesberger

For a kings ransom and the opportunity to fill many other holes, a trade is warranted. A RB can be had later, and they might even still get their guy if they don't fall back too far.

Multiple picks can justify trading out of any spot

Does he go top 5? Top 3? Zeke went 4. If so that helps push down a QB

@ekaplan15

Very interesting, NFL scouts are saying that Penn State's RB Saquon Barkley is better than Zeke. Much faster than Zeke, and has more twitch

Any team that drafts a RB top three deserves what they get. Unbelievably stupid.

Does he go top 5? Top 3? Zeke went 4. If so that helps push down a QB

@ekaplan15

Very interesting, NFL scouts are saying that Penn State's RB Saquon Barkley is better than Zeke. Much faster than Zeke, and has more twitch

You know where I stand on both guys. Find you a woman that looks at you the way that I look at Barkley and Zeke. Barkley to me is Shady v2.0. He changes directions at full speed. I said it almost a year ago but I think that he is the best player in college football (with the possible exception of Ed Oliver). Saquon is a monster and will be a monster at the next level.

You are fighting a losing battle. DBs don't go in round 1 in Bill's world. It must be killing him that there have been so many 1st round DBs over the last few years.

Brother, it's not killing me, it's killing our Bills.

Not sure who you are referring to, but CB is is much higher value position. RBs very rarely receive a second contract from the team that drafted them.

And which of our first round dbs received a second contract? McKelvin? That matters to, no?

And of course we made the same mistake many times at RB.

Brother, it's not killing me, it's killing our Bills.

They haven't drafted a disproportionate number of DBs in the first round. They have drafted 3 in the least decade. 2 teams have drafted 4 in that span and 8 teams have drafted 3. There are Super Bowl wins in both groups in that span. I believe that there are 3 Super Bowl wins and a ton of playoff wins within those 10 teams. It's right in line with the rest of the league. Drafting DB doesn't hurt you; drafting bad players early does.

Saquon is a great kid and he went to high school like 5 minutes from my last residence. I'd love to have him in a bills uniform.

He might be my favorite player to watch in all of football. He's so creative. Edited by Kirby Jackson

They haven't drafted a disproportionate number of DBs in the first round. They have drafted 3 in the least decade. 2 teams have drafted 4 in that span and 8 teams have drafted 3. Their are Super Bowl wins in both groups in that span. I believe that there are 3 Super Bowl wins and a ton of playoff wins within those 10 teams. It's right in line with the rest of the league. Drafting DB doesn't hurt you; drafting bad players early does.

He might be my favorite player to watch in all of football. He's so creative.

Well, they also drafted Darby with their first selection in a draft. And even with the stats you listed, it places them well into the upper half of teams selecting first round dbs. Furthermore, look at the total team history if you will. Since the 90's, I doubt if any team drafted more.

And what you said about "drafting bad players" doesn't really apply to this conversation imo. Mike Williams and Aaron Maybin were bad players. McKelvin, Gilmore and Whitner were not especially bad. In fact, Whitner collected approx. 36 million in salary from the Bills. These guys were fairly good but we lost football games. For decades the Bills drafted dbs in lieu of blockers and pass rushers, let alone quarterbacks.

I am hopeful that this may change but the first round of the 2017 draft was disturbing to me.

Well, they also drafted Darby with their first selection in a draft. And even with the stats you listed, it places them well into the upper half of teams selecting first round dbs. Furthermore, look at the total team history if you will. Since the 90's, I doubt if any team drafted more.

And what you said about "drafting bad players" doesn't really apply to this conversation imo. Mike Williams and Aaron Maybin were bad players. McKelvin, Gilmore and Whitner were not especially bad. In fact, Whitner collected approx. 36 million in salary from the Bills. These guys were fairly good but we lost football games. For decades the Bills drafted dbs in lieu of blockers and pass rushers, let alone quarterbacks.

I am hopeful that this may change but the first round of the 2017 draft was disturbing to me.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat. If we were to use the 1st 2 rounds as an example there are lots of teams that have drafted more DBs than the Bills. When you let them walk when their contracts are up, Gilmore, Winfield, Clements, Whitner, etc... you need to replace them. They hit a home run with Tre White IMO and I've seen lots of him. He has a short memory. I don't see them drafting DB early next year because it is now a strength of this team. They have to, have to, have to add skill players. You can't ever beat the good offenses if you can't score with them. We just don't have the horses.

Bill, As Kirby stated, White, a CB, was a tremendous pick in the lower first round. So far from what he has exhibited he would still be a terrific pick as a higher first round pick. As far as retaining players or not that is just a byproduct of the cap system. Losing players because of financial considerations is an inescapable part of the system. Organizations that are smart are organizations that in general draft well to more cheaply replace the inevitable player departures.

This next draft for me is a moment of truth. I believe that we are in a good position to secure a franchise qb. If it is not done this year then it represents another pivot point where this hollow organization has let an opportunity pass them by while they continue on their way to continued irrelevancy.

My opinion on drafting except for the qb position is if the player selected turns out to be a good player no matter the position then it is a good pick. In a system where the failure rate for draftees is high picking a good player should be deemed a success.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.