WR Prospects for the 2018 Draft

26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

R

I just don't see that.  Kelvin Benjamin has been a very productive WR in this league.  Jordan Mathews has as well.  Zay Jones looks to be coming on as well.  

I do do concede that they could use a speedster, but they don't need to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on one.

Watkins, Woods and Goodwin have all been more productive elsewhere this year than they were here.  The lack of a QB has to be addressed before WR.

i am pretty confident that a good QB would make Benjamin and Jones look much better (Mathews as well, but I expect him to leave in FA)

For one that post was from September 21st (there was no Benjamin). Matthews stinks and I was right about that. Zay has struggled mightily but I believe in him. At the same time I think that he has the lowest catch percentage in the league. He has been bad. 

Matthews was the 4th WR with a QB in Philly (which is why they gave him away), Benjamin got traded for a 3rd rounder on a team that has a QB, Zay Jones hasn’t been good and Thompson got cut by the Bears (the only team in the league getting less WR production than the Bears is the Bills). The group is not good. They will need a #1/2 to go with Benjamin. They need Zay to develop in the slot and to bring Thompson back. WR is a big need still.

Keep an eye on the separation that this group gets if you think that they are adequate. Watch how much space is between the defender and the receiver. There were times this year that the defender could have shared a jersey with Matthews. They don’t run good routes and they don’t kee safeties away from the LOS.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For one that post was from September 21st (there was no Benjamin). Matthews stinks and I was right about that. Zay has struggled mightily but I believe in him. At the same time I think that he has the lowest catch percentage in the league. He has been bad. 

Matthews was the 4th WR with a QB in Philly (which is why they gave him away), Benjamin got traded for a 3rd rounder on a team that has a QB, Zay Jones hasn’t been good and Thompson got cut by the Bears (the only team in the league getting less WR production than the Bears is the Bills). The group is not good. They will need a #1/2 to go with Benjamin. They need Zay to develop in the slot and to bring Thompson back. WR is a big need still.

Keep an eye on the separation that this group gets if you think that they are adequate. Watch how much space is between the defender and the receiver. There were times this year that the defender could have shared a jersey with Matthews. They don’t run good routes and they don’t kee safeties away from the LOS.

I wasn’t trying to attack your post.  I think that Mathews hasn’t been healthy all season.  He has been a quality receiver in the NFL before arriving here.  In his 3 years in Philly, he had 67, 85 and 73 receptions- that is pretty good, even if “just” a possession receiver.  

Benjamin, as well, has been injured much of his time here, but he has shown some skills amongst the injury time.  I am hoping that the Bills keep Benjamin long-term.  If Zay Jones continues to improve after his rough start, I think I could live with Benjamin and Jones with someone added with speed.

i think that problems getting separation have been exacerbated by the injuries the Mathews and Benjamin have been playing with.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I wasn’t trying to attack your post.  I think that Mathews hasn’t been healthy all season.  He has been a quality receiver in the NFL before arriving here.  In his 3 years in Philly, he had 67, 85 and 73 receptions- that is pretty good, even if “just” a possession receiver.  

Benjamin, as well, has been injured much of his time here, but he has shown some skills amongst the injury time.  I am hoping that the Bills keep Benjamin long-term.  If Zay Jones continues to improve after his rough start, I think I could live with Benjamin and Jones with someone added with speed.

i think that problems getting separation have been exacerbated by the injuries the Mathews and Benjamin have been playing with.

Oh I know I’m not taking it personally. Matthews hasn’t been healthy but he was still the 4th WR in Philly and we tried to pass him off as a 1. It failed.

Benjamin should be a part of the future imo. He doesn’t need a ton of separation. Zay has disappointed me because I thought that he was a precise route runner with elite hands. I guess that I just didn’t see enough of him. He is neither. I still think that he was far too productive in college to play like this. He has to be in the plans. That still leaves a starting spot open. It could be someone like Paul Richardson in FA or they could take one in the first few rounds. I hope that Thompson comes back too. A group of Benjamin/new guy/Zay/Thompson and Reilly works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Bills seem to like big boy receivers. I think their guy should be Marcell Ateman. He should also be available after his teammate Washington, Bama's Ridley and Anthony Miller (maybe Ateman is available with our second pick in round two) and one or two other prospects). I think he may be a better pro than Washington. He's bigger and faster. His hands are good too. He'd be a better version of Matthews. 

I like A. Miller a lot (maybe next Marvin Harrison)  but again he is not a big guy. Of interest in his case is the importance of QB - WR chemistry. He was very good when Lynch was under centre. He was absolutely fantastic when Ferguson took over. 

On 1/5/2018 at 9:44 PM, the skycap said:

The Bills need a Marquise Goodwin type WR. Someone with SPEED, hands but durable. Is there anyone like this in the draft?? I know Paris Campbell (OSU) has speed to kill, but how are his hands? 

Add ball tracking ability to your list. That was the difference between bombs to Watkins and bombs to Goodwin. Watkins would adjust and catch it more, Goodwin needed the ball to be dropped into a bucket.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2017 at 12:34 AM, NewDayBills said:

I haven't really looked into all of the prospects yet but I think it's safe to say Ridley and Sutton do not make it anywhere near our pick. If Equan St. Brown was there though, I definitely think he could help us. Christian Kirk would also be a great pick in the second round. I think Kirk is an incredible player, perfect compliment to Benjamin and Zay Jones. Reminds me so much of Danny Amendola.

Yes yes yes...this Bills desperately need to start drafting quick receivers similar to amendola and Edelman...those are the types of receivers that get open quickly and keep the chains moving.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.