Poyer - making me eat crow

MAJBobby

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had safties that hit hard, usually at the LOS. That hit he put on the receiver in the endzone was a thing of beauty. He's a hitter, can cover and plays smart. Who knew? What didn't Cleveland see in him?

Not sure. Guessing their MoneyBall department didnt see the value in a contract for an INJ player. Here is where analytic has to take a back seat to limited tape.

Edited by MAJBobby

I also expected less than nothing from an ex-Browns safety, but what a nice surprise.

the hit on Benjamin sealed it for me.

Thats was highlight film for the ages. That's how you hit the big guys.

Benjamins was never the same.

Every one take note. Bills are not a friendly Defense.

bloodied noses are fine with me these days

Poyer has definitely been a very pleasant surprise so far. I just hope his play continues at this level or better. He could be a very high impact free agent signing for very little money, and we have him for 3 more years aft this, too. Those are the type of savvy free agent signings that successful teams tend to make.

Poyer is from a small town here in Oregon (Astoria) and was one of the best HS athletes in recent memory. IIRC, he led Astoria to state championships in baseball and football (QB and DB) and was POY in both sports. He had a good career at Oregon State, but the team was bad during his time there so he did not get much attention.

Poyer is from a small town here in Oregon (Astoria) and was one of the best HS athletes in recent memory. IIRC, he led Astoria to state championships in baseball and football (QB and DB) and was POY in both sports. He had a good career at Oregon State, but the team was bad during his time there so he did not get much attention.

I've always wanted to visit Astoria, OR ever since I seen The Goonies. lol

See the house where it was filmed. Visit Ecola State park. See Haystack rock.

Always wanted to visit Oregon in general. Seems like a beautiful state and a cool place to visit.

Thanks. You got me intrigued, so I checked out his Wikipedia page. His high school career was ridiculous:

"Poyer played baseball, basketball, and football at Astoria High School. As a freshman, he helped the baseball team win the state championship. As a senior, he was named Oregon's player of the year and was drafted by the Florida Marlins.[1] In 2009, Poyer was named the basketball Cowapa League Player of the Year. He was a quarterback and safety on the football team and had 123 touchdowns in three years. In his senior season, he was the state's player of the year on offense and defense.[1][2]"

Thanks. You got me intrigued, so I checked out his Wikipedia page. His high school career was ridiculous:

"Poyer played baseball, basketball, and football at Astoria High School. As a freshman, he helped the baseball team win the state championship. As a senior, he was named Oregon's player of the year and was drafted by the Florida Marlins.[1] In 2009, Poyer was named the basketball Cowapa League Player of the Year. He was a quarterback and safety on the football team and had 123 touchdowns in three years. In his senior season, he was the state's player of the year on offense and defense.[1][2]"

I bet he got laid on a regular basis while in high school.

I wasn't that excited when the Bills signed Poyer, but I was fine with giving him a chance to see how he could do on a new team.

I certainly was not expecting this from him after 2 games. He looks like the leader of the defense. Both of his sacks came from perfectly timed blitzes.

He's all over the field. Those 2 pass break-ups for would be touchdowns against the Panthers, were huge. As great as the hit on Benjamin was, he really impressed me with the second pass break up. He had to really leap to knock that ball away.

His play has been spectacular. Look forward to seeing how he does the rest of the season. I am loving our new secondary.