Sammy watch

dave mcbride

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

watkins was never resigning here. at least we got something for him.

he's the girl that was dumping us after homecoming so we danced with the other girl who we could take home.

Watkins would have resigned here...if we offered the best contract. Plain and simple.

The issue is we were never going to offer him the contract that others would overpay him in free agency. We would have lost him for...what at BEST a 3rd round comp pick?

We managed to get a 2nd and a heck of a good player for this defense. Short term it doesn't help us. This is true. Long term it could really pay dividends.

If Sammy is healthy and he has a capable QB he is a good receiver. Does anyone argue that?

Sammy wasn't always healthy in Buffalo and he didn't have a QB who could throw him the ball consistently.

Wish Sammy well and move on. He wasn't going to sign with the Bills. Glad they got something for him.

this is where i'm at. people really need to move on from it, and hope that trade in some way benefits the bills in the future.

also, the people who are stating that if sammy was still on the bills, that game would have been won are going a bit too far. could it have happened that way? possibly, but i could just as easily assume some other baseless fact like sammy would have been hurt, and either not on the field, or not effective enough to pull it off. it's nothing more than a pointless guess.

he's the girl that was dumping us after homecoming so we danced with the other girl who we could take home.

This is EXACTLY what Bills fans said about the Jason Peters trade in 2009 and the Marshawn Lynch trade in 2011 ... and the stout defenders of the brainiacs who've orchestrated the Bills incompetency for the entire 21st century crowed like roosters whenever Peters or Lynch had the slightest miscue ... until they were named All Pros. After all, it's SOOOOO much better to have a JAG center who compliantly agrees to whatever contract the Bills are willing to give him than an All Pro/HOF bound LT who wants to be paid what he's worth, and since RBs are a dime-a-dozen, who needs an All Pro RB, right? Is the guy the Bills used that 4th round draft pick from Marshawn on even still in the league? Marshawn, of course, still is. :nana:

Sammy, 2 games, 7 catches, 88 yards, no TDs, yawn.

See above.

I don't see the point in wanting to know who "won" the trade. NFL trades are not made to try to fleece the other side, they are made to try to be mutually beneficial to both sides. One because everyone knows everyone in league personnel offices and information is rarely withheld when doing a deal. If a team feels they got fleeced, they won't want to do business with that team in the future.

If a player is in the drug program they don't have to share that but they do. If they have long term health concerns , locker room issues, etc. they don't have to share that but they do. Teams want as many options as possible to be able to make trades - and agents are involved as well. The goal is for everyone to feel happy with what they got in the deal, not for one side to feel they got a bad deal. Ideally both teams will feel they got value in return, with the openness to do more deals in the future. It doesn't always work out that way but that's the goal.

Maybe that's true for most teams but the Bills too frequently trade players, particularly their best players, for reasons that have nothing to do with how well they can play. Apparently, the two biggest "sins" Bills players can commit are demanding to be paid fairly and criticizing the crappy FO and/or crappy coaching staff. The Bills will go to just about any length to get rid of top players who dare either, as witness Peters, Lynch, and I suspect, Watkins (remember, he did say that he thought WRs should be paid more in general) ... even virtually giving them away. And, of course, the faithful continue to defend these actions because they "trust" the Bills FO to continue its successful efforts to build a team that could win the AFL Championship a third time.

this is the kind of post that is destroying the board.

Thanks for continuing to do that

You need to realize some people here know things

Your baseless claim that I am lying and have no clue what I am talking about I'd unfounded. Even then, if this was purely my opinion, your opinion holds no more weight than mine.

You are what's wrong with the board. Please, leave.

Get off your high horse. You ain't the head honcho here. You made a statement as if it were a fact even though it was only your opinion, and an opinion that's based on nothing except your willingness to accept whatever BS the Bills FO puts out to excuse their continued unwillingness to keep talented players. ("X will never sign here" is their absolute favorite BTW.) The poster in question called the statement you made a lie, which probably was a bit strong, but your statement sure wasn't fact. Some folks be more inclined to see things in black and white than in shades of gray. If you didn't want to be called on it, you shouldn't have stated your opinion as if it were a fact.

Watkins would have resigned here...if we offered the best contract. Plain and simple.

The issue is we were never going to offer him the contract that others would overpay him in free agency. We would have lost him for...what at BEST a 3rd round comp pick?

We managed to get a 2nd and a heck of a good player for this defense. Short term it doesn't help us. This is true. Long term it could really pay dividends.

exactly.

there was a lot most fans do not know

I'll leave it at that. I had some great conversations the last 2 weeks and learned a lot about this issue.

This is EXACTLY what Bills fans said about the Jason Peters trade in 2009 and the Marshawn Lynch trade in 2011 ... and the stout defenders of the brainiacs who've orchestrated the Bills incompetency for the entire 21st century crowed like roosters whenever Peters or Lynch had the slightest miscue ... until they were named All Pros. After all, it's SOOOOO much better to have a JAG center who compliantly agrees to whatever contract the Bills are willing to give him than an All Pro/HOF bound LT who wants to be paid what he's worth, and since RBs are a dime-a-dozen, who needs an All Pro RB, right? Is the guy the Bills used that 4th round draft pick from Marshawn on even still in the league? Marshawn, of course, still is. :nana:

See above.

Maybe that's true for most teams but the Bills too frequently trade players, particularly their best players, for reasons that have nothing to do with how well they can play. Apparently, the two biggest "sins" Bills players can commit are demanding to be paid fairly and criticizing the crappy FO and/or crappy coaching staff. The Bills will go to just about any length to get rid of top players who dare either, as witness Peters, Lynch, and I suspect, Watkins (remember, he did say that he thought WRs should be paid more in general) ... even virtually giving them away. And, of course, the faithful continue to defend these actions because they "trust" the Bills FO to continue its successful efforts to build a team that could win the AFL Championship a third time.

Get off your high horse. You ain't the head honcho here. You made a statement as if it were a fact even though it was only your opinion, and an opinion that's based on nothing except your willingness to accept whatever BS the Bills FO puts out to excuse their continued unwillingness to keep talented players. ("X will never sign here" is their absolute favorite BTW.) The poster in question called the statement you made a lie, which probably was a bit strong, but your statement sure wasn't fact. Some folks be more inclined to see things in black and white than in shades of gray. If you didn't want to be called on it, you shouldn't have stated your opinion as if it were a fact.

see above. It's not opinion.

exactly.

again, it's not opinion. I am not going on a limb any more. Others may chime in on this, too. But there was a lot to this.

If you want to blame one person, Rex Ryan. Whaley didn't do much to help.

If that's what you must tell yourself that, so keep telling yourself that. Sammy said before the trade again and again he WANTED to be in buffalo for long term. From what I can tell he was living IN buffalo full time. How many players did that? **** if I had millions I'd run to a house in florida for the winter if I didn't have to be up north.

I'll leave it at that. I had some great conversations the last 2 weeks and learned a lot about this issue.

again, it's not opinion. I am not going on a limb any more. Others may chime in on this, too. But there was a lot to this.

fair enough. i mean, i get when people say, (with out apparent inside info) that sammy would have re-signed. i suppose if you throw enough money at anyone they'll re-sign. i just don't think sammy's numbers would have been productive enough to warrant what he would think he's worth. i loved sammy as a wr, but the guy just hasn't done enough yet to warrant a big pay day. anyone that thinks he wouldn't have wanted a large contract is just kidding themselves.

If that's what you must tell yourself that, so keep telling yourself that. Sammy said before the trade again and again he WANTED to be in buffalo for long term. From what I can tell he was living IN buffalo full time. How many players did that? **** if I had millions I'd run to a house in florida for the winter if I didn't have to be up north.

see above, sir

I hate this trade as much as anyone, as I've said many times, based on pure talent that left the field. But as Boyst said some of us hear things and in the end the general public doesn't really know, despite what was said to the media from both sides, what all was involved in this decision behind the scenes.

fair enough. i mean, i get when people say, (with out apparent inside info) that sammy would have re-signed. i suppose if you throw enough money at anyone they'll re-sign. i just don't think sammy's numbers would have been productive enough to warrant what he would think he's worth. i loved sammy as a wr, but the guy just hasn't done enough yet to warrant a big pay day. anyone that thinks he wouldn't have wanted a large contract is just kidding themselves.

ever notice the minute the trade was announced no one ever brought up Watkins again, like anywhere?

We got better by getting worse.

And until I got more information I was firmly against this trade.

Edited by Boyst62

@nflnetwork

Sammy Watkins had just two targets on Sunday against the Redskins. What’s behind his slow start in 2017? 1f4fa.png: #UpToTheMinute // @wyche89

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/910308302512205824

@RapSheet

Ian Rapoport Retweeted NFL Network

7 targets, 7 catches through 2 games for Sammy Watkins. Just 2 last game was not what anyone wanted

That does not do Sammy any good. I am afraid what everyone said about Goff is true - the guy has a noodle arm.

Having a good receiver with Tyrod Taylor as QB... kinda like wiping before you poop.

LMAO!!!!!

If you get past the emotion of the trade, you have to believe that there were a lot of things behind the scenes, because the trade does not make any sense from a football standpoint.

ever notice the minute the trade was announced no one ever brought up Watkins again, like anywhere?

We got better by getting worse.

And until I got more information I was firmly against this trade.

now you're just teasing us. i wasn't for the trade either, but i understand why it went down. you have to give us a nugget of info if you can.

If you get past the emotion of the trade, you have to believe that there were a lot of things behind the scenes, because the trade does not make any sense from a football standpoint.

I am believing you know this information I do not speak of as well

now you're just teasing us. i wasn't for the trade either, but i understand why it went down. you have to give us a nugget of info if you can.

give it time for the noise to settle down. Us getting Gaines was the bonus. He was coming here next year either way.

The best way to rationalize this trade is this - McBeane wasn't going to re-sign Sammy because that's not where they want to spend the cap. McBeane comes from Carolina school where they don't pay for expensive wideouts and corners but over pay for linemen. Due to their plans (not fans' plans) they traded Sammy to get the best value for their LEGACY and track record long term. Every Whaley pick and player is HOUSE MONEY they're playing with. It costs them NOTHING. They can tear it down and blame the prior administration for this year. But by year 3 they need to show significant progress. So they do what any self-serving smart guys do - make themselves look good at the expense of prior admin. I get it, and it's fine. I've seen worse in Buffalo.

I am believing you know this information I do not speak of as well

give it time for the noise to settle down. Us getting Gaines was the bonus. He was coming here next year either way.

I actually don't know. Just conjecture that there were things behind the scenes that forced the trade, starting from the decision not to exercise the option.