McDermott's clapping really ticks me off

Do you like his sideline mannerisms?

I appreciate his intensity and it seems sincere, but I cannot get over when he claps adamantly when there is a 3 and out, a defensive collapse or even something positive. It is the same robotic motion every time.

This thread is ridiculous, I know. But it really pisses me off to see how eager he is to greet his players to the sideline when the just blew a big opportunity.

It's up there with:

Marrones blank stare

Todd Bowles **** eating grin

Carrols gum smacking confusion

Looks like he might have cracked my top three...

Wow, this is a new low. Complaining about the coaches enthusiasm. I hope I am being trolled here, If not I may take a long break from The Wall as some of the new members here are just trashing the place.

This is where I am.

Watching him clap for his guys running off after a terrible three and out is concerning. Maybe I am different, as some have mentioned, but a constructive response doesn't necessarily need

ALWAYS be met with a hip hip hooray.

Don't worry Buffalo will beat the pep out of him pretty fast, remember the before and after photo's of Maroon?

It's like what Gus Bradley used to do. The guy was probably the worst head coach in the league and would just be smiling and clapping like an idiot while his team was getting their heads kicked in every week.

You can still have a great personality and be a hardass. We need a Mad dog Mattis coach in the worse way. Somebody who hates to lose and will be your best friend when you are winning.

If I didn't say, I'll say it.

I LIKE HIM CLAPPING!

Not when we are getting are heads smashed in. It just looks beta as hell.

I appreciate his intensity and it seems sincere, but I cannot get over when he claps adamantly when there is a 3 and out, a defensive collapse or even something positive. It is the same robotic motion every time.

This thread is ridiculous, I know. But it really pisses me off to see how eager he is to greet his players to the sideline when the just blew a big opportunity.

I agree, I understand it's some positive psychology deal. It's fine that he does it, but it's also fine that as an onlooker i find it annoying. I especially found it aggravating after the 3 and out you referenced and did find myself thinking "What the bleep are you clapping about you bleeping bleep."

Edited by Carey Bender

It's up there with:

Marrones blank stare

Todd Bowles **** eating grin

Carrols gum smacking confusion

Looks like he might have cracked my top three...

Yeah it just seems over the top. I don't get it either, I'm all for pumping up the players but he is doing it on all calls even when we get a penalty. He needs to relax.

OP, you got the attention you wanted so be happy.

The clapping is just McD's way of wanting to show his team encouragement........no matter the circumstance.

Some coaches scream and yell and demean. McD doesn't. He tries to show that he's with them and that he believes in them.

I think there's a time and a place for both, but I know from having coaches AAU basketball for 25+ years that you get much better results when you encourage your players and let them know that you believe in them than when you point out their faults and put them down.

A big part of being a successful coach at any level, in any sport, is being able to properly motivate your players.

The next time you see McD clapping his hands like that realize that what he's saying is that "We're in this together, we're going to stay positive, and we're going to give it our best effort to be successful together".

Yeah it just seems over the top. I don't get it either, I'm all for pumping up the players but he is doing it on all calls even when we get a penalty. He needs to relax.

People start a thread to complain that a football coach's clapping and cheering for his players bothers them, but it's the coach who needs tor relax?

Yeah. Okay. :lol:

You can still have a great personality and be a hardass. We need a Mad dog Mattis coach in the worse way. Somebody who hates to lose and will be your best friend when you are winning.

He's just trying to cheer up the team. Players need both - someone who disciplines AND encourages. Both carrot and stick.

The only thing "beta as hell" is insecure guys who try to pump themselves up by seeing the world through an absurd alpha/beta lens.

I'm ok with it. Tomlin does the same thing. I imagine others do as well. He can grill them later--in private--on their missed opportunities/poor performance. But I totally understand how it rubs some the wrong way.

OP, you got the attention you wanted so be happy.

The clapping is just McD's way of wanting to show his team encouragement........no matter the circumstance.

Some coaches scream and yell and demean. McD doesn't. He tries to show that he's with them and that he believes in them.

I think there's a time and a place for both, but I know from having coaches AAU basketball for 25+ years that you get much better results when you encourage your players and let them know that you believe in them than when you point out their faults and put them down.

A big part of being a successful coach at any level, in any sport, is being able to properly motivate your players.

The next time you see McD clapping his hands like that realize that what he's saying is that "We're in this together, we're going to stay positive, and we're going to give it our best effort to be successful together".

exactly. Engagement and motivation gets much better results in business, coaching, etc. Numerous studies have been done on this.