Shaq Lawson

Wayne Arnold

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lawson reminds me a little bit of orakpo.

same build, both play de/olb, both can set the edge and rush the passer.

To me he's similar to Cameron Jordan, from the Saints. good overall player, though Jordan is the better pass rusher right now. Jordan only had a sack in his rookie year and then started getting it.

I would only expect it if we see the same lack of consistent pressure from 4-man rush packages moving forward. I agree, however, that LorAx and--to a lesser extent--Davis have earned the benefit of the doubt in those situations.

Still, it'd be nice to see if Shaq can be productive as a pass rusher. Watching him cave the play-side TE repeatedly was fun though :lol:

Just pointing out, not arguing, we got a lot of pressure in 2nd half. McCown was getting the ball out super quick, we tightened up coverage and lead to 2 picks, multiple throwaways and absolutely nowhere for their run game.

Shaq is basically a Justin Houston clone from an athleticism/measurables standpoint. And he had more sacks in college than Houston did.

Malachi Dupre and Stephen Hill compare favorably to some big time WR's H/W/S numbers as well.

It's a lack of other more specific skills.........like for instance the ability to track and adjust to long throws.......or catch the ball without having to slow or stop their lower half.......there are a number of reasons.

I'm not saying the spread between Shaq and Houston's football skills is AS vast as the difference between Hill/Dupre and Sammy Watkins.........but it's the same type of thing.

Watkins can just do everything you can ask of a WR.........and Houston can do everything you could ask of a DE.

To me he's similar to Cameron Jordan, from the Saints. good overall player, though Jordan is the better pass rusher right now. Jordan only had a sack in his rookie year and then started getting it.

I think Jordan's game might still be a ceiling too high for Shaq to reach.........but that does serve the purpose of pointing out to Bills fans that Shaq compares favorably to someone they either never heard of or thought was a former TE for the Dolphins. :flirt:

He is a Prototypical LE in a 4-3. With him not being a quick twitch edge rusher I expect him to take a little bit of time to develop pass rush moves and counter moves. I expect he will hustle himself into 5 to 6 sacks this year while he develops.

Shaq has a better chance becoming the next Courtney Brown than he does a Justin Houston.

Good example Badol. Stephen Hills measurables are probably better than Antonio Brown's. It doesn't mean jack. Odell was much the same way, as an LSU fan I didn't expect him to transition this well in the NFL. The numbers often lie in the NFL.

I would rather see him exceed to the top in a category rather than be mediocre across the board.

Coming out of Clemson, Shaq was considered more of a premeier edge setter and will bolster your run defense.

I don't think too many people had Shaq pegged as an elite sack guy,but someone who can get pressure and will make plays in the backfield.

I'm happy with how he has progressed thus far.

I would rather see him exceed to the top in a category rather than be mediocre across the board.

Coming out of Clemson, Shaq was considered more of a premeier edge setter and will bolster your run defense.

I don't think too many people had Shaq pegged as an elite sack guy,but someone who can get pressure and will make plays in the backfield.

I'm happy with how he has progressed thus far.

Said it before, but 4-3 DE's don't get drafted in round 1 for their run defense.

It's a passing league.

Anyone who says he wasn't hyped as a pass rusher is probably trying to re-set the bar a little lower for better feels about his slow start.

Said it before, but 4-3 DE's don't get drafted in round 1 for their run defense.

It's a passing league.

Anyone who says he wasn't hyped as a pass rusher is probably trying to re-set the bar a little lower for better feels about his slow start.

He was drafted where above average athletes who are complete DEs go. Remimds me alot of Tamba Hali out of pennstate. Not a premier edge rusher but was instantly solid against the run and developed into a 10 sack guy. Edited by Mat68

I doubt he'll be Houston, but I'm hoping for Pernell McPhee upside. Everyone sleeps on McPhee but the guy can stuff the run and rush the passer. McPhee doesn't get enough love, much like Kyle went under the radar when he was in his prime.

It's a passing league.

I think we need to see a heathy year from the young fella before we make that type of determination

Great start for Shaq, the only concern I ever had with him was recovering from his injury

if he's an 8 sack guy year in and year out he's a very good def end. not von miller type but that is very very good

I would love 8 sacks from him this year, especially if Hughes starts getting double digit sacks again. Yarborough should get a few himself.

I think we need to see a heathy year from the young fella before we make that type of determination

What type of determination?

That teams don't draft 4-3 DE's in round 1 for their run defense?

How will a healthy year from Shaq change that.........are teams going to rush to the podium for DE's who can beat a TE's block in run defense?

Based on what?

Ability/skill.

I didn't check to compare their 40 times.

Think I made the point pretty clear about different skill levels.

Shaq has some clear deficiencies as a pass rusher........the first and most debilitating to his pass rush game is a terrible first step.

I'm not saying he could never have a 10 sack season...........but those are A LOT harder to string together than most people seem to understand here...........and what YOU are proposing.......that he could put up healthy Justin Houston numbers.......a guy who once had over 20 sacks.........that's a REAL reach.

I gotta say from watching Shaq, he looks like a 4-5 sack per year kind of player at best. He is good in setting the edge but doesn't really offer any pass rush. I was watching him a lot in pre season and against the Jets, and he never really has any counter moves with the OT. He just engages with the OT and stays put. Maybe it's his first assignment on the defense to set the edge and his secondary objective to rush the passer. But all in all, he kind of reminds me of Chris Kelsay

Edited by VaMilBill

It's a passing league.

20 sacks in 3 years at Clemson. Not exactly premier. I expect much the same at this level. Elite edge setter, who hustles to get 6-8 sacks a year and some TFL. Its what he was.Its what he is. Its why he was drafted where he was drafted.

You dont draft a 4.5 guy in college expecting him to run 4.1 in the NFL, do ya? No. Then why cant you understand that that's what he does/why he was drafted? You're not that obstinate, are ya?😉