Shaq Lawson

Wayne Arnold

That's where I am.

And I don't expect him to get those 3rd down DE opps because he clearly hasn't earned them........which is disappointing.

I would only expect it if we see the same lack of consistent pressure from 4-man rush packages moving forward. I agree, however, that LorAx and--to a lesser extent--Davis have earned the benefit of the doubt in those situations.

Still, it'd be nice to see if Shaq can be productive as a pass rusher. Watching him cave the play-side TE repeatedly was fun though :lol:

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see sex and a lot of pressure coming from our insides this week because that's the best place to get Newton.

I will be getting my old VCR out of mothballs, that caught video herpes from an old Christina Aguilera video, and will be taping the **** out of that.

Edited by cba fan

I see that coming in the next 2 to 3 weeks. With Cincinnati being a possibility as well. Now that I saw the defense I watch the game again, and I really wish I could get someone's all 22. But with Cam Newton I see him able to drive his guy right into the pocket and I see sex and a lot of pressure coming from our insides this week because that's the best place to get Newton. he generally doesn't scramble to be outside , and he's slower than he has been. If Humber and brown and are safeties continue to hunt anyone out of the backfield will do well

Interesting defensive philosophy. Kinda gives new meaning to total domination. In general, I think the league has demonstrated it would be fine with this as long as it's not directly referred to as a bounty, and as long as it's not caught on tape.

Edited by transient

I thought he got some pressure on passing downs too and was close twice to sacks. They will come. I remain convinced.

According to BFD he did not even record a SAQ.......which is an advanced stat created to reflect olfactoric pressure on the QB.

Still the last guy off the ball, doesn't extend/use his arms well to stand up OT's and he lacks those big explosive strides and bend around the corner.

Excellent short area quickness but the ability to constantly collapse the pocket I just don't see it.

But it's only been like 11 games and several preseason games. B-)

I hope you are right though.......I thought he played pretty well compared to my expectations so it's something to build upon.

In watching his college type I was overwhelmed by how he could anchor. He was doubled on almost every play and would never give an inch. The guy is strong as an ox. He's probably already a top 5 run defender at DE. Obviously we would like some healthy sack number from our DE's. Time will tell how he develops his pass rushing repertoire.

According to BFD he did not even record a SAQ.......which is an advanced stat created to reflect olfactoric pressure on the QB.

Still the last guy off the ball, doesn't extend/use his arms well to stand up OT's and he lacks those big explosive strides and bend around the corner.

Excellent short area quickness but the ability to constantly collapse the pocket I just don't see it.

But it's only been like 11 games and several preseason games. B-)

I hope you are right though.......I thought he played pretty well compared to my expectations so it's something to build upon.

He was a better edge defender than pass rusher in college. I don't see him developing into some dominant sack master, just a competent end. If he can get somewhere in the 5-6 sack range I think we can call that a successful season for him

Shaq is basically a Justin Houston clone from an athleticism/measurables standpoint. And he had more sacks in college than Houston did.

Ugh. Do you need to see the combine numbers?

I don't care what the numbers say. One guy can bend around the edge the other can't. The guy that bends the edge also plays with his hair on fire. Not even close.

Just checked the numbers he is more explosive in every category. Not a surprise. It shows on the field.

Edited by Commonsense

I like Shaq and think he'll be a tremendous run stopping DE, but I don't see him ever being a great pass rusher. We're going to have to stick Lorax outside of him if we want edge QB pressure.

Against Carolina I would keep Lawson outside and maintain good rush lanes. I like Lorax inside with Brown putting pressure on the A Gaps all game on passing downs. Rush or drop into coverage. Try to get cam to drop his eyes vs staying strong in the pocket.

Edited by Mat68

I don't care what the numbers say. One guy can bend around the edge the other can't. The guy that bends the edge also plays with his hair on fire. Not even close.

Thank you for actually adding something of substance this time.

Obviously Houston is a future Hall of Famer. All I was saying is that from a size, speed, combine drills and measurements standpoint Shaq compared favorably to Houston. And there is a direct, measured relationship between combine drills and on-field performance.