Why are you so sure we aren't a playoff team?

Position by position, the OP nailed it. But football is a team sport, so it's still a big unknown whether the guys will adapt to the new schemes on both sides of the ball. From that perspective, I think the offense will take a small step backwards or, at best, stay about the same as last year. I anticipate a pretty significant improvement on defense. The Ryan twins were totally inept at designing a scheme that maximizes the strength of the players we have while minimizing their flaws, calling plays, clock management, and general game management.

With what appears to be a tougher schedule, 8-8 seems realistic. With another year to build a better roster and get everyone acclimated to the new schemes, we could see the playoffs next season. I wouldn't rule it out for this year, but it's a loooooong shot.

The truth lies in the fact that until a week from now Transplant's vision is as valid as anybody else. The only place there might be a head scratcher is at RB, unless they plan to use Tyrod's unique skill set to better advantage in the ground game.

Not exactly. The odds are that the OPs peaches and cream vision of each Bills position will be more than a little off. Dismissing obvious weaknesses with statements like " I suspect ---- will turn out just fine" is based on what exactly? Hopes and wishes? Sure, we fans would love if each area of the team was a strength or players that had career best seasons duplicate them. We also know it's not likely to happen. He says Coaching is everything, it's not. It's definitely important, but look at what the Coach (es) are asking the team to do this season. They've taken a very good power blocking OL scheme and replaced it with a completely different zone blocking one. We've only seen it in preseason so far, but the results look suspect. QB Taylor returns, but in a west coast offense that demands many things that we know Tyrod struggles with. One of the starting WRs is a rookie and the other a late camp trade that was injured in his first practice and played in no ps games. The running game is almost certain to struggle with the new blocking scheme and the curious choice of a backup to their 29 year old RB. The defense is reverting to a 4-3 scheme, but many of the players from the Schwartz D many Bills fans are envisioning are no longer here. We don't know if the D under Frazier will be as agessive as the Schwartz 4-3. It's great to say the Bills have zone corners and that's all they need, but maybe not. It's good to have flexibility within a defense ( Bill Belichick ? ) and at times they may need to play man coverage on WRs. Brady carves up a zone D like no other. The reasons for expecting a big step back are more valid and firmly grounded in reality than expecting that everything will turn out fine.

up til recently, i had the same optimism as the op. ...but with the headscratching cuts and recent changes,i don't see any semblence of continuity going into the opener. i am almost hoping tt's protocol does not have him cleared for game one. i actually think nate's ability to make multiple reads, have a quick release and being able to hit guys that he does not have to have an established chemistry with may be the only way to move the chains.

if we start tt and he can't hit anybody and we lose to the jets, we are screwed. starting something like 1-4 means the season is lost. before all this, i thought we could steal a few games,ie...chiefs,chargers,cincy, anthers,bucs and maybe get to 10-6. now the wind has left the sails.

Because I don't trust Sean McDermott.

There I said it.

Over the last 15 years, I've come to believe that 99% of coaches are average. They just have different styles, different areas of strength and run different schemes. Their success depends completely upon how well the talent matches what they are doing. By themselves, coaches contribute virtually nothing to wins and losses. As big of a MESS Rex Ryan was as a coach when it comes to organization, I truly believe that if we would have been a playoff team the last 2 years if our defensive core was skilled towards his 3-4 scheme. But since our guys fit a 4-3 instead, we played the square peg-round hole game (for the trillionth time) and struggled on that side of the ball.

Since our defensive core (namely Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus and Jerry Hughes) still are 4-3 guys, I think McDermott will get tons of credit for turning around the defense this season. But it will have less to do with his "genius" and more to do with a good fit. Meanwhile, the offense will pull this team into the gutter, because Rick Dennison's scheme is not a match for the Bills talent or Tyrod Taylor. There is no continuity with last year's offense, and that will cost us the games necessary to make the playoffs.

Depth is a huge issue. Injuries are gonna expose this front office. Can't hide behind the Whaley really after their overhaul. My main fear is the players mental state after the ridiculas trades and cuts. Not sure anyone gets what they are doing other than "you have to wait and see at least they have a plan!" bs.

After 17 straight years of watching a non playoff team, I think I know one when I see one. And man,do I see one.

4-12, maybe 5-11. Hopefully low enough to draft our qb without giving anything up to move up.

This. Teams that play as poorly as the starters played in preseason don't make it to the playoffs. Don't worry, the Bills will draft a QB in the first round in 2018. The big question will be, will he at least be better than the previous two first round QBs the Bills took?

We just don't know how these guys can coach. It is anybody's guess what will happen. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way the team played in preseason, most notably the supposed first team, suggests a serious lack of coaching acumen. Maybe Beane has his own supply of pixie dust to sprinkle over the team to make it better.

I'm sorry, I'm just a little amazed at all of this talk about how horrible we're going to be. I actually can't believe anyone thinks this team is going to be a 4-12 or worse with such confidence.

Amazing!

So, I ask, how have we regressed so much? Shall we take it position by position?

QB: I am aware this is the big controversial position. But are we worse with a 3rd year Tyrod Taylor, hope promising young Rookie, and a vet who at least has knowledge in the system than a 2nd year Taylor, EJ Manuel and Cardale Jones? I guess the offensive system is the answer to this question so we're going to see soon enough :flirt:

RB: McCoy is a year older but it doesn't seem like he's lost a step. Who knows about our backups but these zone blocking schemes are designed for RBs to thrive, aren't they? Tolbert's better than Felton. Doesn't seem much worse, if worse.

WR: Obvious question mark. But let's be honest about our WRs last year: Sammy and Woods missed 11 combined games last year. That's tied with a few teams and the only fewer than San Diego in terms of number one and number two wide receiver's missing games. We had street wide receivers. Right now our WR core seems worse on paper, but if Matthews can stay healthy and Jones can keep looking like he has in the preseason I don't know how much of a step down our WR core will really be. Like the QB I think it's another wait and see. Powell might be a welcome addition after week 4.

TEs: Better, no? Seems there will be a focus on getting them the ball and O'Leary has another year and looks good and Thomas looks like a promising prospect.

OL: Worse to begin the season with questions surrounding Glenn and RG and RT, but I suspect both will be solidified relatively quickly. Just gotta hope Glenn stays healthy.

K: BETTER!!!

Punter: Same

Coverage: I honestly have no clue

DL: Sure did operate a lot better under a 4-3 than a 3-4, didn't it? Yeah there are questions but Kyle doesn't seem to be slowing down and it sounds like Hughes and Lawson will be really good in this D. Marcel is so freaking talented let's just hope he "buys in." Yarborough looks like a promising backup among others.

LBs: Not a clue honestly but sounds like Brown will be a lot better. Lorax was a gem last year and if he's nearly as good it just means good things.

CB: Brand new defense so can we maybe wait to freak out? White looks great. Gaines is a strong zone CB and that's what we're running. Same with Wright. Josh Norman thrived in this system that ultimately made him a star... not nearly as good now in a new system in Washington, is he?

S: Top heavy and not deep but I think Hyde and Poyer are better than what we had last year.

Coaching: It's everything. If it's good, I think we win a lot. If not we lose. I know that sounds simple, but we saw gross incompetence at that spot in the last couple years in particular. I think we see better.

I don't really make predictions, but I can't believe all the folks calling us a 4-12 team. Point to the schedule if you want I guess, but even that seems a little simple minded given the consistent inconsistency of teams in the NFL.

The night is darkest before the dawn, folks. Dawn comes in less than a week :thumbsup:

This team sucks. Get used to it. 1-15. Mark it down. They beat the Jets once this year and that's it.