2018 Mock drafts and top prospects

Watkins101

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

What about Milano, seemed like he covered well?

Don't we have a sixth rounder?

What players do you want at the positions you mocked?

In a 4-3 scheme like our players are asked to run, speed at the linebacker position is essential.  Looking across the league, some of the best defensive units that have 4-3 schemes have fast linebackers who can do multiple things.  The vikings have fast linebackers, Atlanta's fast linebackers helped them big time in their deep run last year, Dallas's defense without Sean Lee's speed at linebacker has been atrocious since his injury...the list goes on and on.  The point is, in a league that continues to put up unreal passing numbers and utilizes more players in the passing game, you need linebackers who can cover.  You have to be able to cover the big tight ends who seem to get more athletic every year, the fast running back out of the backfield that has hands like a wideout and so on.  

Linebackers who are fast can help our pass rush big time.  Looking at a guy like Keuchly for Carolina, while I know he is an unreal talent, his speed has gotten him several sacks over the years.  He can quickly shoot gaps and put pressure on the QB.  In the cover defense that we run, pressure on the QB is essential to causing turnovers and slowing down the pass game as we've seen hasn't happened the last few weeks here.  

While I like Milano and have hope that he can play his way into a long term starting position eventually, he's only one guy and who knows if he will become that starter down the line here.  At the very least, he's solid depth.  We need three fast linebackers if we want to maximize this defenses potential.  Humber was serviceable earlier in the year but has looked horribly slow and been beaten more times than not of late both in the run and the pass.  Brown again is serviceable but he has been pretty rough this year.  He's not a difference maker and at MLB in a 4-3 scheme, you need something better than him.  Most of the top defenses have difference makers at that position.  

As for a 6th rounder, I had the conditional pick we got in the Dareus trade becoming a 5th.  I'm not 100% sure what our later round picks are exactly with all of the trades haha.  

Picks wise, I have continued to work on a mock as the season goes on and as needs have presented themselves.  I'd just like to note that the mock was based off not having to move up to grab a QB.

1st QB Josh Allen, Wyoming 6'5" 235

-My personal opinion of Allen might be different than others.  I like him for his high potential and recognize that he was forced to do everything for that team as his weapons and offensive line have been just horrid.  In our offense, he wouldn't be asked to do everything.  The goal is to have a nice complimentary run game and an opportunistic defense like we had earlier this year.  With an injection of talent to both of those areas, Allen will have a more comfortable situation here where he can develop into his high potential.  All the QBs in this class are projects.  I don't think anyone can say one clearly stands out.  All of them have questions including Mayfield, who I know is popular among some.  He's not even 6'0", has had character issues and played with a lot of talent in his career at Oklahoma.  Personally, my choice is Allen. I think he has the biggest arm talent in the class and has great mobility for his size.  Also, he has size.  He's not another 6 foot nothing QB like we've had over the past several years.  He fits our scheme with his mobility and his arm abilities.  Coaching will need to help him but there's some nice weapons in place here right now.

1st DT Maurice Hurst, Senior Michigan 6'2" 285 

-Although a little undersized, Hurst is a monster.  His quick first step collapses running lanes in a heartbeat.  Reminds me a little of Aaron Donald, undersized but dominates with his quickness and relentless pursuit.  As I said in my last post, I think there is a chance Buffalo will go after a guy like Star Lotulelei in the offseason who can provide the run stuffing we need as well as some abilities to collapse the pocket and get sacks.  Hurst will help the pass rush big time. 

2nd OG Isaiah Wynn, Senior Georgia 6'2" 302

-With the offensive line looking horrid this year at times, upgrades are needed.  Incognito and Wood are aging and right guard and right tackle need upgrades.  Dawkins has played well at times this year and I am hoping he can take over a spot on the line somewhere next year.  His versatility makes him very valuable.  Wynn is a similar player.  He has played inside and at tackle at Georgia and some think he can play center at the pro level as well.  He's a senior with versatility and a lot of experience.  Seems like an obvious match to me.

2nd LB Tegray Scales, Senior Indiana 6'0" 230

-Speed, athletic ability, tackling.  He has been able to cover, blitz and stuff the run over his 4 years with the Hoosiers.  He's a touch undersized but I don't expect him to play MLB for them.  Tremaine Edumunds is a possible MLB player for me here.  He's a large linebacker that could take over the middle of our defense but I like Scales for his ability to constantly improve as a player over his career.  

3rd C/G Frank Ragnow, Senior Arkansas 6'5" 317

-This is a late 3rd round pick.  I'd be more excited obviously if it was closer to the second round where i'd expect a potential starter.  Here, I look for Buffalo to draft Eric Wood's eventual replacement.  Ragnow being a senior, having versatility and size, I would love to see Wood help groom the young fella next season and then he could potentially take over the following season.  I expect Dawkins and Glenn to man the tackle positions.  We need to use veterans like Incognito and Wood to help some young lineman this upcoming season with their transition to the NFL.  This is more of a long term pick than a step in starter.

4th RB LJ Scott, Junior Michigan 6'1" 229

-To me, the fourth round should be designated for a running back in this class. Mccoy could use a backup and eventual replacement.  LJ Scott could be a guy that falls into the fourth round in a crowded class of guys.  I'm looking for the thunder to Mccoy's lightning.  Scott needs to lose a little weight but he runs with so much power adding more speed will make him tough to tackle at the next level.  However, he could be a riser if he shows up to the combine in better shape and shows well.  Other players could be Freeman, Scarborough, Penny and Adams.  Any way you slice it, I expect a 4th round running back who has the ability to be very productive immediately next to Mccoy.  

5th round picks:  At this stage it is too hard to tell who will likely fall here.  However, our secondary has some talent but needs more depth.  I'd love to see a development safety and corner with our 5th rounders.  I think Gaines/Johnson could be back.  They played well when healthy and when we had a pass rush.  But depth is surely needed.

In this mock, we miss out on drafting our middle linebacker.  I have gone back and forth between Scales who I believe is more of an outside linebacker and Tremaine Edmunds for Virginia Tech who is a MLB.  I love Scales so I favored him but I would also like Edmunds as a second round option.  Edmunds standing at 6'5" 240 could certainly help out clogging some of those running lanes and his height will help him more when he drops into coverage.

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

In a 4-3 scheme like our players are asked to run, speed at the linebacker position is essential.  Looking across the league, some of the best defensive units that have 4-3 schemes have fast linebackers who can do multiple things.  The vikings have fast linebackers, Atlanta's fast linebackers helped them big time in their deep run last year, Dallas's defense without Sean Lee's speed at linebacker has been atrocious since his injury...the list goes on and on.  The point is, in a league that continues to put up unreal passing numbers and utilizes more players in the passing game, you need linebackers who can cover.  You have to be able to cover the big tight ends who seem to get more athletic every year, the fast running back out of the backfield that has hands like a wideout and so on.  

Linebackers who are fast can help our pass rush big time.  Looking at a guy like Keuchly for Carolina, while I know he is an unreal talent, his speed has gotten him several sacks over the years.  He can quickly shoot gaps and put pressure on the QB.  In the cover defense that we run, pressure on the QB is essential to causing turnovers and slowing down the pass game as we've seen hasn't happened the last few weeks here.  

While I like Milano and have hope that he can play his way into a long term starting position eventually, he's only one guy and who knows if he will become that starter down the line here.  At the very least, he's solid depth.  We need three fast linebackers if we want to maximize this defenses potential.  Humber was serviceable earlier in the year but has looked horribly slow and been beaten more times than not of late both in the run and the pass.  Brown again is serviceable but he has been pretty rough this year.  He's not a difference maker and at MLB in a 4-3 scheme, you need something better than him.  Most of the top defenses have difference makers at that position.  

As for a 6th rounder, I had the conditional pick we got in the Dareus trade becoming a 5th.  I'm not 100% sure what our later round picks are exactly with all of the trades haha.  

Picks wise, I have continued to work on a mock as the season goes on and as needs have presented themselves.  I'd just like to note that the mock was based off not having to move up to grab a QB.

-My personal opinion of Allen might be different than others.  I like him for his high potential and recognize that he was forced to do everything for that team as his weapons and offensive line have been just horrid.  In our offense, he wouldn't be asked to do everything.  The goal is to have a nice complimentary run game and an opportunistic defense like we had earlier this year.  With an injection of talent to both of those areas, Allen will have a more comfortable situation here where he can develop into his high potential.  All the QBs in this class are projects.  I don't think anyone can say one clearly stands out.  All of them have questions including Mayfield, who I know is popular among some.  He's not even 6'0", has had character issues and played with a lot of talent in his career at Oklahoma.  Personally, my choice is Allen. I think he has the biggest arm talent in the class and has great mobility for his size.  Also, he has size.  He's not another 6 foot nothing QB like we've had over the past several years.  He fits our scheme with his mobility and his arm abilities.  Coaching will need to help him but there's some nice weapons in place here right now.

-Although a little undersized, Hurst is a monster.  His quick first step collapses running lanes in a heartbeat.  Reminds me a little of Aaron Donald, undersized but dominates with his quickness and relentless pursuit.  As I said in my last post, I think there is a chance Buffalo will go after a guy like Star Lotulelei in the offseason who can provide the run stuffing we need as well as some abilities to collapse the pocket and get sacks.  Hurst will help the pass rush big time. 

-With the offensive line looking horrid this year at times, upgrades are needed.  Incognito and Wood are aging and right guard and right tackle need upgrades.  Dawkins has played well at times this year and I am hoping he can take over a spot on the line somewhere next year.  His versatility makes him very valuable.  Wynn is a similar player.  He has played inside and at tackle at Georgia and some think he can play center at the pro level as well.  He's a senior with versatility and a lot of experience.  Seems like an obvious match to me.

-Speed, athletic ability, tackling.  He has been able to cover, blitz and stuff the run over his 4 years with the Hoosiers.  He's a touch undersized but I don't expect him to play MLB for them.  Tremaine Edumunds is a possible MLB player for me here.  He's a large linebacker that could take over the middle of our defense but I like Scales for his ability to constantly improve as a player over his career.  

-This is a late 3rd round pick.  I'd be more excited obviously if it was closer to the second round where i'd expect a potential starter.  Here, I look for Buffalo to draft Eric Wood's eventual replacement.  Ragnow being a senior, having versatility and size, I would love to see Wood help groom the young fella next season and then he could potentially take over the following season.  I expect Dawkins and Glenn to man the tackle positions.  We need to use veterans like Incognito and Wood to help some young lineman this upcoming season with their transition to the NFL.  This is more of a long term pick than a step in starter.

-To me, the fourth round should be designated for a running back in this class. Mccoy could use a backup and eventual replacement.  LJ Scott could be a guy that falls into the fourth round in a crowded class of guys.  I'm looking for the thunder to Mccoy's lightning.  Scott needs to lose a little weight but he runs with so much power adding more speed will make him tough to tackle at the next level.  However, he could be a riser if he shows up to the combine in better shape and shows well.  Other players could be Freeman, Scarborough, Penny and Adams.  Any way you slice it, I expect a 4th round running back who has the ability to be very productive immediately next to Mccoy.  

5th round picks:  At this stage it is too hard to tell who will likely fall here.  However, our secondary has some talent but needs more depth.  I'd love to see a development safety and corner with our 5th rounders.  I think Gaines/Johnson could be back.  They played well when healthy and when we had a pass rush.  But depth is surely needed.

In this mock, we miss out on drafting our middle linebacker.  I have gone back and forth between Scales who I believe is more of an outside linebacker and Tremaine Edmunds for Virginia Tech who is a MLB.  I love Scales so I favored him but I would also like Edmunds as a second round option.  Edmunds standing at 6'5" 240 could certainly help out clogging some of those running lanes and his height will help him more when he drops into coverage.

I’ve been watching LJ Scott for years and i wouldn’t waste a pick on him. He’s too slow. He runs hard, but the other names hit mention are far and away better prospects if you are seeking a future RB1. I’m partial to Penny. 

If Scott went undrafted or was there in the 7th I’d give him a look as a backup.

I’m a huge fan of Tegray Scales and would love that pick. Another Big10  LB I could see this regime taking is Jack Cichy from Wisconsin. He was one of the best LBs in the country before tearing his ACL right before the season. This is a McD player. Could get a discount since he missed his senior season. But he has the film to generate the draft pick.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve been watching LJ Scott for years and i wouldn’t waste a pick on him. He’s too slow. He runs hard, but the other names hit mention are far and away better prospects if you are seeking a future RB1. I’m partial to Penny. 

If Scott went undewftwd pr was there in the 7th I’d give him a look as a backup.

I’m a huge fan of Tegray Scales and would love that pick. Another Big10  LB I could see this regime taking is Jack Cichy from Wisconsin. He was one of the best LBs in the country before testing is ACL right behorw the season. This is a McD player. Could get a discount since he missed his senior season. But he has the film to generate the draft pick.

Like I said Scott would need to lose a few pounds but I think he can be a much better pro than college player if he loses weight much like former Michigan state running back, Le'veon Bell.  He needs to lose some weight and get some speed...we shall see.  Either way, i'm liking the idea of a 4th round running back.

I agree with you about Cichy, another McD player is Jewell from Iowa.  Gonna be very interesting to see who stands out at the senior bowl and how these guys test at the combine.

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The mocks that I’ve read in the last week have Rosen and Jackson up top with Darnold. Allen seems to go anywhere from late in the top 10 to 20. Mayfield is in the middle to back of the 1st with Rudolph (some have him earlier too). 

Hope so, we should take a shot at Mayfield if he is there.

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I was hopeful of Allen but he has really disappointed. I would be really surprised if he goes in the first. We have drafted potential too often only to flop in the pros (losman, ej, cardale). I'm not the biggest fan of Mayfield but it think he he could be a Rusell Wilson/ Drew Brees type of QB. If Darnold comes out I would trade up for him. He has had too many turnovers this year but he still makes big plays and will only improve over time.

I like Hurst but he is small, if we get him we better get a big boy or he will get run over too. 

19 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was hopeful of Allen but he has really disappointed. I would be really surprised if he goes in the first. We have drafted potential too often only to flop in the pros (losman, ej, cardale). I'm not the biggest fan of Mayfield but it think he he could be a Rusell Wilson/ Drew Brees type of QB. If Darnold comes out I would trade up for him. He has had too many turnovers this year but he still makes big plays and will only improve over time.

I like Hurst but he is small, if we get him we better get a big boy or he will get run over too. 

I only drafted Hurst because in the original post I said they should go after Star Lotulelei or a fat boy like him in FA who would be the big run stuffer.  If they don't get that than a guy like Vita Vea who's a mammoth would do.  I think Wilkins and Payne will be gone by their 2nd pick.  Those guys have seemed to be athletic enough to provide a pass rush while being big enough to stop the run.

The thing is with drafting QBs...how many of these guys are sure fire players?  All of them are based on potential.  How many QBs have looked phenomenal in college and end up faceplanting in the NFL.  It's all potential and scheme fit.  Darnold leads college football in turnovers.  In a few years if he didn't pan out, we'd look back and say, wasn't that a red flag?  All of these guys come with deficiencies, drafting a QB is the furthest thing from black and white.  Again, I doubt they will want to trade up with all of the holes we have on this team.  

As for the "he will only improve over time,"  can we really say that about any QB?  Too many guys drafted in the first round and even at number 1 overall have crapped the bed and never improved.  I just don't think you can say that about any QB out of college until they've hit the field in the NFL.  There's a reason franchise QBs are at a premium.  Most guys don't make it but setting a rookie up for success will help and not trading all of those draft picks can patch up the oline and help out the defense too.  

It's honestly a crap shoot at QB.  Who knows at this point.  I'm not confident in any one of them right now to trade up.  Therefore, I took maybe the highest potential at the pick that they will have.  If we trade up and miss, we'll be looking at several more years of crap football.  At least if we fill in the rest of the roster, we may be able to be somewhat successful.  Look at Minnesota winning games with Keenum at QB...great oline, solid weapons and a great defense.  I'm just not in the boat of trading our picks for anyone in this class.

The Buffalo Bills are 5-5 as they prepare to face the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 12. After getting off to an impressive 5-2 start, Buffalo has collapsed, losing each of their last three games. With just six remaining games against difficult opponents, it looks like the Bills’ playoff drought will be extended to an incredible 18th year.

Fans are already beginning to look ahead to the offseason and evaluate how Buffalo will fill the multitude of holes that exist throughout the roster. Luke Easterling, the managing editor of The Draft Wire, recently predicted what the Bills would do with their six selections in the first four rounds of the draft in his latest 2018 NFL mock draft and he did a fine job of addressing some of the team’s pressing needs.

Round One, No. 17 overall: DL Christian Wilkins, Clemson

Round One, No. 27 overall: WR James Washington, Oklahoma State

Round Two, Pick No. 49: LB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech

Round Two, Pick No. 58: CB Anthony Averett, Alabama

Round Three, Pick No. 96: QB Will Grier, West Virginia

Round Four, Pick No. 113: RB Royce Freeman, Oregon

I think they end up with one of Allen or Rudolph as their guy.

Also, I believe AJ McCarron filed a grievance with the league, and if he wins, could become a UFA. He’s a guy I could see them going after as a stop-gap.

from ESPN.com:

“McCarron's grievance dates back to his rookie season in 2014, when the Bengals drafted him in the fifth round. McCarron initially passed his post-draft physical, but the Bengals placed him on the non-football injury (NFI) list at the start of training camp due to a shoulder issue.”

Regardless I see them doing something like this;

1. QB

1. OL/DT

2. OL/DT

2. LB

3. TE/DE

4. RB

5. OL

5. TE/DE (via Jax. 6th becomes a 5th when they make playoffs and Marcell is on the roster)

7. CB

If they get a guy like Cousins, I could see everything moving up a slot maybe. 

Alao, I wonder if they don’t try to move Cordy Glenn for a pick. I know he’s been hurt but rumor was Seattle inquired. And as little as they would get, I could see them dealing Tyrod away for a 4th or something of that nature. They’ll do whatever they can to get as much Draft capital as possible in my estimation. 

4 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I think they end up with one of Allen or Rudolph as their guy.

Also, I believe AJ McCarron filed a grievance with the league, and if he wins, could become a UFA. He’s a guy I could see them going after as a stop-gap.

from ESPN.com:

“McCarron's grievance dates back to his rookie season in 2014, when the Bengals drafted him in the fifth round. McCarron initially passed his post-draft physical, but the Bengals placed him on the non-football injury (NFI) list at the start of training camp due to a shoulder issue.”

Regardless I see them doing something like this;

1. QB

1. OL/DT

2. OL/DT

2. LB

3. TE/DE

4. RB

5. OL

5. TE/DE (via Jax. 6th becomes a 5th when they make playoffs and Marcell is on the roster)

7. CB

If they get a guy like Cousins, I could see everything moving up a slot maybe. 

Alao, I wonder if they don’t try to move Cordy Glenn for a pick. I know he’s been hurt but rumor was Seattle inquired. And as little as they would get, I could see them dealing Tyrod away for a 4th or something of that nature. They’ll do whatever they can to get as much Draft capital as possible in my estimation. 

Going with Mayfield, kid is a gamer and can really sling it.

We lost our 7th with the Benjamin trade.

On 11/25/2017 at 3:03 PM, Billsfansinceday1 said:

Rudolph looking good with 10th 400 yard game

While the numbers look good, he's got a lot of limiting qualities.  Just like all of this year's class does.  Doesn't mean they can'r be really good but gotta look past the productive numbers on schools that surround their QB with a lot of talent like James Washington.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

While the numbers look good, he's got a lot of limiting qualities.  Just like all of this year's class does.  Doesn't mean they can'r be really good but gotta look past the productive numbers on schools that surround their QB with a lot of talent like James Washington.  

No doubt about that.  I do see an aggressive QB with a good arm.  He also seems to be well appreciated by his teammates and fans. The same seems to be true for Mayfield as well.

Are we all in agreement that it seems highly unlikely that McBeane would draft a guy like Mayfield? He is talented for sure, but I’m not so sure they would want a guy like that being the face of the franchise...in fact I don’t even expect him to I be drafted in the 1st round just because of his antics.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Are we all in agreement that it seems highly unlikely that McBeane would draft a guy like Mayfield? He is talented for sure, but I’m not so sure they would want a guy like that being the face of the franchise...in fact I don’t even expect him to I be drafted in the 1st round just because of his antics.

I agree with that statement. I also think the height thing could be an issue as well.

Again, I think Rudolph will be their guy. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.