2018 Mock drafts and top prospects

Watkins101

23 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I think Quenton Nelson would be.

Nelson is considered the top guard in the class and easily one of the top prospects.  In the last few years guards have been drafted with high picks.  I don't see him making it to the 20s, he may not even make it to the teens.  I like a few other guys that could easily be taken in the 20s or in the 2nd round though.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/17/2017 at 11:55 AM, P51 said:

Constructive criticism and intelligent conversation appreciated, based on my very informal rankings at this point, based off last weeks draft order, subject to change...

2018 NFL Mock Draft

V 1.2

1st Round

*Pre-Draft Trade* Cleveland trades the 1st overall pick and the 136th picks in the 2018 draft to the N.Y. Giants for the 3rd and 35th picks in the 2018 draft, and the Giants 1st and 4th round picks in 2019.

*Pre-Draft Trade* San Francisco trades the 2nd overall pick to Cleveland for the 3rd, 65th and 120th picks in the 2018 draft and the Giants 4th round pick in 2019.

1 – N.Y. Giants (via. Cleveland) – Sam Darnold (QB – U.S.C.)

2 – Cleveland (via. S.F.) – Josh Rosen (QB – UCLA) 

3 – San Francisco (via. Cleveland/N.Y.G.) – Saquan Barkley (RB – Penn. St.)

*Trade* Indianapolis trades the 4th pick the N.Y. Jets for the 11th, 43rd and 75th picks in the 2018 draft.

4 – N.Y. Jets (via. Indianapolis) – Ryan Finley (QB – N.C. St.)

5 – Cincinnati – Derwin James (S/CB – F.S.U.)

6 – Denver – Connor Williams (LT/T – Texas)

7 – L.A. Chargers – Lamar Jackson (QB – Louisville)

8 – Cleveland (via. Houston) – Minkah Fitzpatrick (CB/S – Alabama)

9 – Chicago – Bradley Chubb (DE – N.C. St.)

10 – Tampa Bay – Arden Key (DE/OLB/DPR – L.S.U.)

11 – Indianapolis (via. N.Y. Jets) – Quenton Nelson (G – Notre Dame)

12 – Baltimore – James Washington (WR – Ok. St.)

13 – Arizona – Mason Rudolph (QB – Ok. St.)

14 – Oakland – Maurice Hurst (DT – Michigan)

15 – Washington – Baker Mayfield (QB – Oklahoma)

16 – Miami – Harold Landry (OLB/DPR – B.C.)

17 – Dallas – Christian Wilkins (DT – Clemson)

18 – Detroit – Darrius Guice (RB – L.S.U.)

19 – Green Bay – Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (OLB – Oklahoma)

20 – Atlanta – Mike McGlinchey (LT/RT – Notre Dame)

21 – Buffalo – Josh Allen (QB – Wyoming)

22 – Jacksonville – Clayton Thorson (QB – Northwestern)

23 – Seattle – Josh Jackson (CB – Iowa)

24 – Carolina – Orlando Brown (T – Oklahoma)

25 – Tennessee – Clelin Ferrell (DE – Clemson)

26 – Buffalo (via. K.C.) – Roquan Smith (WLB – Georgia)

27 – L.A. Rams – Chukwama Okorafor (LT – Western Michigan)

28 – Minnesota – Ronnie Harrison (SS – Alabama)

29 – Pittsburgh – Denzel Ward (CB – O.S.U.)

30 – New Orleans – Courtland Sutton (WR – S.M.U.)

31 – New England – Trey Adams (LT – Washington)

32 – Philadelphia – Michael Gallup (WR – Colorado St.)

2nd Round

33 – Cleveland – Tarvarus McFadden (CB – F.S.U.)

34 – New England (via. S.F.) – Luke Faulk (QB – Wash. St.)

35 – Cleveland (via. N.Y. Giants) – Martinas Rankin (LT/T – Miss. St.)

36 – Indianapolis – Mark Andrews (TE – Oklahoma)

37 – Denver – Deon Cain (WR – Clemson)

38 – Los Angeles Chargers – Malik Jefferson (ILB/LB – Texas)

39 – Cleveland (via. Houston) – Calvin Ridley (WR – Alabama)

40 – Chicago – Isaiah Oliver (CB – Colorado)

41 – Tampa Bay – Keith Tolliver II (CB – L.S.U.)

42 – Cincinnati – Brain O’Neil (LT/T – Pitt.)

43 – Indianapolis (via . N.Y. Jets) – Rashaad Penny (RB – S.D. St.)

44 – Arizona – Equanimeous St. Brown (WR – Notre Dame)

45 – Oakland – Ronald Jones II (RB – U.S.C.)

46 – Washington – Simmie Cobbs Jr. (WR – Indiana)

47 – Miami – Will Hernandez (G – U.T.E.P)

48 – Baltimore – Damien Harris (RB – Alabama)

49 – Detroit – Dre’Mont Jones (DT – O.S.U.)

50 – Green Bay – Christian Kirk (WR – Texas A&M)

51 – Atlanta – Jordan Whitehead (FS/S – Pitt.)

52 – Dallas – Anthony Miller (WR – Memphis)

53 – Buffalo – Rashaan Evans (ILB/OLB – Alabama)

54 – N.Y. Jets (via. Seattle) – Bryce Love (RB – Stanford)

55 – Jacksonville – Mike Gesicki (TE – Penn. St.)

56 – Carolina – Austin Bryant (DE – Clemson)

57 – Kansas City – Carlton Davis (CB – Auburn)

58 – Tennessee – Justin Reid (FS – Stanford)

59 – Minnesota – Derrick Nnadi (DT – F.S.U.)

60 – Buffalo (via. L.A. Rams) – Da’Ron Payne (DT – Alabama)

61 – San Francisco (via. N.O.) – Arden Tate (WR – F.S.U.)

62 – Pittsburgh – Riley Ferguson (QB – Memphis)

63 – New England – Sam Hubbard (DE – O.S.U.)

64 – Cleveland (via. Philadelphia) – Josh Adams (RB – Notre Dame)

Missing a few offensive lineman.  They are difficult to mock sometimes because college football doesn't exactly highlight those types of guys.  They highlight the flashy picks.  I expect about 2 maybe 3 more offensive lineman in that second round consideration.  Hernandez could easily jump into the first round as he looks like a beast of a guard.  I'm just missing some interior lineman...Billy Price Ohio State, maybe Mason Cole, Braden Smith, maybe Cody O'Connell.  The big fellas always seem to have a run somewhere in the second round every year.

I'm missing Tegray Scales LB Indiana (I love him as a Bills pick as a fast linebacker who has been extremely productive in his 4 years of experience at the college level).  I believe Bradley Chubb has the chance with a very good combine and interview process to jump into the top 5 and potentially a dark horse for one of the top picks...he has dominated college football this year.  I'm also missing Harrison Phillips DT Stanford.  He's been one of the most productive dlineman in the class.  In my opinion, their will be a few more pass rushers taken as well.

I have a hard time with the amount of QBs that are drafted in the first two rounds here.  While teams like Washington may lose a QB, another QB needy team will fill that hole with Cousins.  The QB free agent market is interesting this year.  I believe some of the QBs in the draft will slip into the 3rd and 4th rounds.  

As for the Bills picks, I am a fan of Allen at QB but a solid process for him could easily thrust him up the boards.  He has some physical abilities that will make some coaches drool.  Love Roquan Smith but I'm not sure if this regime will like the fit Alabama front 7 players have in this defense...who knows.  

Bold move calling the trades.  With many options at QB this year and as of right now none of them really standing out, it will be interesting if teams would be willing to trade up for one guy in particular.  

I expect a few more guys from smaller schools that nail the draft process and senior bowl to be drafted here.

Who knows honestly though, drafting for one team is hard enough haha.  I appreciate the effort and attention to team needs.  Well done

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/18/2017 at 2:11 PM, Buffalo30 said:

Missing a few offensive lineman.  They are difficult to mock sometimes because college football doesn't exactly highlight those types of guys.  They highlight the flashy picks.  I expect about 2 maybe 3 more offensive lineman in that second round consideration.  Hernandez could easily jump into the first round as he looks like a beast of a guard.  I'm just missing some interior lineman...Billy Price Ohio State, maybe Mason Cole, Braden Smith, maybe Cody O'Connell.  The big fellas always seem to have a run somewhere in the second round every year.

I'm missing Tegray Scales LB Indiana (I love him as a Bills pick as a fast linebacker who has been extremely productive in his 4 years of experience at the college level).  I believe Bradley Chubb has the chance with a very good combine and interview process to jump into the top 5 and potentially a dark horse for one of the top picks...he has dominated college football this year.  I'm also missing Harrison Phillips DT Stanford.  He's been one of the most productive dlineman in the class.  In my opinion, their will be a few more pass rushers taken as well.

I have a hard time with the amount of QBs that are drafted in the first two rounds here.  While teams like Washington may lose a QB, another QB needy team will fill that hole with Cousins.  The QB free agent market is interesting this year.  I believe some of the QBs in the draft will slip into the 3rd and 4th rounds.  

As for the Bills picks, I am a fan of Allen at QB but a solid process for him could easily thrust him up the boards.  He has some physical abilities that will make some coaches drool.  Love Roquan Smith but I'm not sure if this regime will like the fit Alabama front 7 players have in this defense...who knows.  

Bold move calling the trades.  With many options at QB this year and as of right now none of them really standing out, it will be interesting if teams would be willing to trade up for one guy in particular.  

I expect a few more guys from smaller schools that nail the draft process and senior bowl to be drafted here.

Who knows honestly though, drafting for one team is hard enough haha.  I appreciate the effort and attention to team needs.  Well done

Thanks for the response, I agree with much of what you said, Ill try to elaborate and incorporate some of my thoughts into response, bear with me... This is how I view all this stuff and the prospects at this point. 

The 8 OL I have going in the first 2 rounds are the 8 I think at this point could be 1st rounders, Price is a 2nd round guy IMO and as many runs on OL as there have been in the 2nd round there are lots of times 2nd rounders fall into the 3rd and 4th rounds, as happened here. I think this OL class in general only has one top level guy in Nelson form ND, but he is a G and the best of the rest of the OL prospects IMO are quality Mid to Late 1st rounders potentially, I think their is quality OL depth that will be quality NFL players, but I dont see All-Pro/elite potential if you will. I like Hernandez a lot, a guy I am friends with her who coaches at the collegiate level speaks highly of him, more so than any OL they have played. He reminds me of Larry Warford coming out of Kentucky. My concerns from what I have seen are his foot speed, lateral quickness/agility and ability to hit moving targets (basically pull blocking and zone blocking), he is a pocket anchor, has strong hands and plays through the whistle. There is a lot to like, I could see him gaining on Nelson and ending up in the 1st round. The Bills clearly need a right side (Mills makes well oiled turnstiles jealous) of the offensive line and Wood and Incognito certainly are getting long in the tooth, they could easily add a couple guys in this draft, the value need in this mock just didnt work out. 

Scales  is guy I like a lot myself, not sold on athleticism yet for him, but if its there he could go in round 1 or 2 for sure, the process will be important for him, his on field production is there, I kept trying to fit him in but it didnt happen. When I do these mocks I take in a ton of factors for all 32 teams; salary cap, depth chart, recent drafts, contracts, schemes, etc. and sometimes guys fall. I like the depth of this draft at ILB and off the ball 43 LB's in general, again not much elite level talent, but good quality players and lots to choose from. The Bills IMO have a combination of old, slow and athletically challenged LB's and need 3 new ones. IMO Alexander should not be on the field as a starter, ST/Backup/DPR is his role now, he should not be on the field covering anyone anymore. Brown is a 2 down ILB and is a liability in coverage, and Humber is a solid back up, starter? Nah. I dont see a true 3 down LB on the roster, and a minimum of 2 are needed IMO, this draft reflected that and I thought added a quality WLB in Smith who can play the Davis or Thompson role in the Panthers D, that I believe McD wants to install here, and Evans who can play the Kuechly or Davis role here for this D. Both guys can hang in nickel and other sub packages while also playing run D, what we have now can not do both. 

As for Bradley Chubb, I agree he has dominated college, I am not sure he's elite level NFL material (athletically), really  the only 2 guys I think at this point project to be elite level players are Barkley and Nelson, a RB and G... James, Fitzpatrick, Chubb, Key are in the next really good level and maybe Rosen, Darnold and Finley at QB as well, but after that? seems like a big cluster right now. I think this draft is hurting for passrushers (edge types), Key is the only one who when healthy could be elite, the rest are good or ok, but I dont think the group is particularly deep myself, I kept trying to force guys like Armstrong and Ejiofor but there is not enough for me to hang my hat on for many of these edge guys this high. Im sure some will move up I just dont see who right now. I was at the high school game where Josh Sweat tore up his knee, and I have not seen the same athletic freak since, he could still be good, he was one of the best I had ever seen, I hope the injury is not hampering him like I believe it is. Buffalo certainly needs to upgrade the front 4, no doubt in my mind, but again need and value didnt line up in this mock. Phillips I need to focus more on, just havent yet. In regards to Payne from Alabama, I try to avoid the "school" correlations and look for NFL translations, and Payne IMO is a 34 or 43 type DT, he is what the DL needs at DT IMO to help stop the run, keep the LB's clean and running, while being able to push/collapse the pocket enough as well. 

The veteran QB market will be interesting, I used Cousins going to Denver, Eli to Jacksonville and A. Smith coming to Buffalo as off season moves in this mock, but with Eli and Smith being close to the end of their careers, I think teams are starting to get more pro active about their future QB situations, similarly to KC and Chicago last year and use assets to get QB's on the roster to develop, IMO its a very smart idea given the deficiences of these QB's coming out of college and giving them some developmental time. If you dont have or are not developing a QB nowadays I firmly believe you will lose more than you will win now and into the future. As for this draft class, I see Rosen at the top and Darnold as the one the NFL will have #1, personally I think Darnold comes out only if Cleveland does a pre-draft trade or someone like the Giants have the first pick, which the former of which is what I used in this mock. Darnold should stay, but will he? IDK, I always find it interesting how people dont/cant see the context surrounding a player and make judgments based on factors outside of ones control. Finley (who I am a big fan of) is a translatable guy from college to the NFL as is Thorson at this point (long way to go) IMO, Rudolph (not a big fan, but I understand), Jackson, Allen, Ferguson and Faulk are all more projections with potential and bust types as I see them at this time, Im sure some will fall, but this IMO is another quality group that is pretty deep throughout, at the top? Whats your flavor?  Deep doesnt always mean top heavy w/elite talent, this class IMO is developmentally talented. The process should week some of these guys out, but I could see any of these 10 QB's ending up in the first round, or any of them dropping outside of Rosen and Darnold. The Bills I think are going to come out of this draft with a QB early, whether it be a package trade up, or they get one at their natural pick (Id bet will be much higher a pick than #20), Allen seems like a guy they would like IMO. 

I think trades are going to happen as people develop preferences and other factors play out. The Giants, Browns, 49ers and Jets all have history in draft trades like these, and Im pretty sure its with these current administrations. Last year I got roasted a little on this site for similar trades up for Watson (Houston to 10?) and Tru (Cleveland to 2), with Mahommes going to Arizona at 13, they happen and they seem to be happening a lot more frequently the last 10 years or so, no QB, no chance... There will be lots of options IMO between FA, trades and the draft (trades included), that its really hard to project, its going to a fun off season. 

I havent gotten much into the small school prospects at this time, but I agree as the process goes on more will filter in and the senior bowl is always big for late risers, and I have a long "watch" list that I still need to look into...

I appreciate it, there is a really good base of draftniks on this site, im interested to see some of the other opinions as things start shaking out!

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

True.  This draft is pretty thin at OT.  Guard's OK but it's REALLY hit and miss with OT. 

I just don't see any route that gets us adequate upgrades to the QB and OL through the draft alone. We will need to do some things in FA, and those things will ultimately dictate what we are looking for in April.

• Like (+1) 1

1. Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
2. Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
3. Bradley Chubb, EDGE, N.C. State
4. Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
5. Sam Darnold, QB, USC
6. Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
7. Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
8. Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
9. Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
10. Connor Williams, OT, Texas

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1. Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
2. Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
3. Bradley Chubb, EDGE, N.C. State
4. Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
5. Sam Darnold, QB, USC
6. Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
7. Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
8. Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
9. Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
10. Connor Williams, OT, Texas

Dang, my boy Quenton rising too high 

On 11/17/2017 at 11:55 AM, P51 said:

1 – N.Y. Giants (via. Cleveland) – Sam Darnold (QB – U.S.C.)
2 – Cleveland (via. S.F.) – Josh Rosen (QB – UCLA)
4 – N.Y. Jets (via. Indianapolis) – Ryan Finley (QB – N.C. St.)
7 – L.A. Chargers – Lamar Jackson (QB – Louisville)
13 – Arizona – Mason Rudolph (QB – Ok. St.)
15 – Washington – Baker Mayfield (QB – Oklahoma)
21 – Buffalo – Josh Allen (QB – Wyoming)
22 – Jacksonville – Clayton Thorson (QB – Northwestern)
29 – Pittsburgh – Denzel Ward (CB – O.S.U.)

34 – New England (via. S.F.) – Luke Faulk (QB – Wash. St.)
62 – Pittsburgh – Riley Ferguson (QB – Memphis)

You have the Redskins drafting Mayfield in the 1st.  In this scenario I am assuming the Redskins drafting a 1st round QB means they did not retain Kirk Cousins.  So where does Cousins land?

Considering you have nine teams (including the Redskins) taking a 1st round QB and two more in the second I'll assume he doesn't land with any of those eleven.

Or the bakers doezen with established starters or recent 1st rounders: Seattle, LA Rams, Tampa, Atlanta, Carolina, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Philly, Oakland, KC, Houston, Tennessee

Seven more are possible but unlikely

San Fran?  Doubt they would trade a second for Jimmy G then sign Cousins

New Orleans?  Does Brees retire?

Green Bay? Is Rodgers injury a career ender?

Minnesota?  Already has three viable starting QBs on the roster (2 coming off injury)

Indy?  Will they cut ties with Luck

Cincy? Will they cut ties with the Red Rifle

Baltimore? Will they cut ties with Average Joe

Which leaves two landing spots

Denver

Miami

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Same...either DT or MLB to run our D

Or OLine, we are in desperate need of those positions.

I don't think LB is as bad as it looks. Put quality tackles in front of them and they revert back to earlier form. I hate to admit it but this D has imploded since Marcy got traded. I'm still glad he's gone because of his laziness but even though he wasn't in there much he made a difference when he was in there.

I saw a similar stat today with Detroit where Hiloti Ngata was playing and  they had  the third ranked run defense and when he went on IR they are now dead last.

Kyle is great but he has never been the run stuffer nor the guy to take up blocks. When we get that  guy in the middle again everyone will get better as it will free up the pass rushers and the LBs to make plays.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, /dev/null said:

You have the Redskins drafting Mayfield in the 1st.  In this scenario I am assuming the Redskins drafting a 1st round QB means they did not retain Kirk Cousins.  So where does Cousins land?

Considering you have nine teams (including the Redskins) taking a 1st round QB and two more in the second I'll assume he doesn't land with any of those eleven.

Which leaves two landing spots

Denver

Miami

Denver, in this mock I went with the premise that Elway gets impatient (I suspected Lynch would see the field soon, as he’s evaluating his QBs and with their season on life support at the time of this mock and now over it’s Lynchs turn) and doesn’t want to draft one, but rather make the splash in FA.

Cousins could go to Miami, but I think they are going to give Tanny another chance and Gase likes him, one more these for those two IMO, but that’s gotta be a hot seat in south beach. Washington could retain him, cap carry over, cuts etc. they could do the franchise at $34+ million and still have around $20 million+ to play with from some of the numbers I’ve seen and heard, but their roster would be Swiss cheese, they could work out a deal. Pittsburgh If Ben retires could suddenly be in the mix and might be attractive to Cousins.

I appreciate the response, another quality one in regards to this mock.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Or OLine, we are in desperate need of those positions.

I don't think LB is as bad as it looks. Put quality tackles in front of them and they revert back to earlier form. I hate to admit it but this D has imploded since Marcy got traded. I'm still glad he's gone because of his laziness but even though he wasn't in there much he made a difference when he was in there.

I saw a similar stat today with Detroit where Hiloti Ngata was playing and  they had  the third ranked run defense and when he went on IR they are now dead last.

Kyle is great but he has never been the run stuffer nor the guy to take up blocks. When we get that  guy in the middle again everyone will get better as it will free up the pass rushers and the LBs to make plays.

I agree that they need new defensive fat boys up front and we've had this discussion before.  But I think there will be some sort of balance.  I expect a linebacker and a DT in the early rounds, a QB and two offensive lineman completing the first three rounds.  

Speed needs to be injected at the linebacker position.  Our linebackers are asked to cover and the players we have are just too slow to do so.  My hope is that they find a way to draft their QB without trading away picks or too many high ones.  If they do so, I believe their draft could look like:

1st QB

1st DT

2nd OL

2nd LB

3rd OL

4th RB

5th CB

5th S

Additions of Lotulelei, a corner, a wideout, a linebacker and then filling in depth from there is my current expectation.  

I 100 percent agree that new DTs will allow Hughes and even Lawson to improve their pass rush.  I think Lawson deserves another year.  He has been solid against the run for the most part but a step slow in the pass rush.  I think with new DTs, he could benefit the most in his development...hopefully haha

Edited by Buffalo30

3 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I agree that they need new defensive fat boys up front and we've had this discussion before.  But I think there will be some sort of balance.  I expect a linebacker and a DT in the early rounds, a QB and two offensive lineman completing the first three rounds.  

Speed needs to be injected at the linebacker position.  Our linebackers are asked to cover and the players we have are just too slow to do so.  My hope is that they find a way to draft their QB without trading away picks or too many high ones.  If they do so, I believe their draft could look like:

1st QB

1st DT

2nd OL

2nd LB

3rd OL

4th RB

5th CB

5th S

Additions of Lotulelei, a corner, a wideout, a linebacker and then filling in depth from there is my current expectation.  

I 100 percent agree that new DTs will allow Hughes and even Lawson to improve their pass rush.  I think Lawson deserves another year.  He has been solid against the run for the most part but a step slow in the pass rush.  I think with new DTs, he could benefit the most in his development...hopefully haha

What about Milano, seemed like he covered well?

Don't we have a sixth rounder?

What players do you want at the positions you mocked?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.