2018 Mock drafts and top prospects

Watkins101

If both of the teams with the top two selections have a need at QB, it won't matter how much ammo they'll have.

True.

I guess I'm hoping a team like LA, Cleveland or Chicago wind up in one of those spots and has enough faith in their existing young QB and wants to trade down.

I also won't rule us out from being the 2nd worst team in the NFL this year. I think our offense is going to be just awful.

I am most decidedly not a Mason Rudolph-in-the-first guy at the moment...obviously my 2017 season evaluations could change that.

Right now, my QB board based on offseason work-ups looks like this:

1. Mayfield

2. Rosen

3/4/5. Allen/Darnold/Falk (no separation at the moment)

6. Rudolph

Other guys I've reviewed in detail include Browning, Ferguson, McSorely, Thorson, Fitzgerald, Speight, Stanton, Francois, and Littman, but they're all in tier 2 or 3 for me at the moment.

I'm looking forward to getting enough video of L. Jackson and J. Stidham to put together an evaluation on them as well.

True.

I guess I'm hoping a team like LA, Cleveland or Chicago wind up in one of those spots and has enough faith in their existing young QB and wants to trade down.

I also won't rule us out from being the 2nd worst team in the NFL this year. I think our offense is going to be just awful.

The best case scenario IMO is Luck is out for the year, Indy goes like 4-12 and the same thing with Chicago. Both have QB's.

If Kizer shows some promise and Cleveland finishes at the bottom....could be another good trade partner.

I find it hard to imagine the Bills picking 15th.

I'm expecting something in the 3-7 overall range, at which point we need to trade up for an elite QB.

That's my worst fear, close enough to dump the stock pile of picks and still not get to 1 overall. I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get the QB of their choice but just lose the damn games and spare all those picks!!!

That's my worst fear, close enough to dump the stock pile of picks and still not get to 1 overall. I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get the QB of their choice but just lose the damn games and spare all those picks!!!

Agreed.

If we trade McCoy, I think we're pretty darn close to picking in the top 2.

Without him, we'll struggle to score 20 points a game which likely means 12 or more losses.

I am most decidedly not a Mason Rudolph-in-the-first guy at the moment...obviously my 2017 season evaluations could change that.

Right now, my QB board based on offseason work-ups looks like this:

1. Mayfield

2. Rosen

3/4/5. Allen/Darnold/Falk (no separation at the moment)

6. Rudolph

Other guys I've reviewed in detail include Browning, Ferguson, McSorely, Thorson, Fitzgerald, Speight, Stanton, Francois, and Littman, but they're all in tier 2 or 3 for me at the moment.

I'm looking forward to getting enough video of L. Jackson and J. Stidham to put together an evaluation on them as well.

I don't really see how Mayfield's game translates to the NFL. Seems like the latest example of good college spread QB but not a very good NFL QB. That Oklahoma offense teaches players next to nothing about how to run an NFL offense. I like his fire as a competitor, but I don't think the NFL will collectively view a 6'1, spread QB as the best QB prospect in the draft.

Darnold, Allen and Rosen should be the top 3 guys. They've all god the size, arm, accuracy and experience under centre to be projected as long term NFL starters. I personally think Allen is the best fit for what we need long term as a franchise QB who we can build an offense around for years to come.

Edited by jrober38

I prefer Mason Storm. He's bulked up nicely and we could use an extra OG.

Really like Mason Rudolph and feel like he will be the QB that starts climbing draft boards when the season starts. Also really like James Washington but feel like round three is a little low for him. As it stands right now, and its early, I'd expect him to go late round one.

I'd say the same for Chubb who is currently considered as a 1st round pick. Otherwise this looks good to me.

Agreed.

If we trade McCoy, I think we're pretty darn close to picking in the top 2.

Without him, we'll struggle to score 20 points a game which likely means 12 or more losses.

I don't really see how Mayfield's game translates to the NFL. Seems like the latest example of good college spread QB but not a very good NFL QB. That Oklahoma offense teaches players next to nothing about how to run an NFL offense. I like his fire as a competitor, but I don't think the NFL will collectively view a 6'1, spread QB as the best QB prospect in the draft.

Darnold, Allen and Rosen should be the top 3 guys. They've all god the size, arm, accuracy and experience under centre to be projected as long term NFL starters. I personally think Allen is the best fit for what we need long term as a franchise QB who we can build an offense around for years to come.

That could end up being the case. Right now, I like that Mayfield is athletic, can make plays, and pushes the ball down the field. I also value that he seems to be able to speed up his snap-to-release when he needs to.

If I'm guessing, he'll probably drop below whichever of the 3 you've mentioned can further develop their accuracy and snap-to-release time, since they all have the measurables to win out if all else is equal. For now, I'm not willing to mix in potential into my evaluation since so much can change in the next 4 months, and so Mayfield gets the top spot.

FWIW, going into 2016 I had Mahomes as my top QB, and I kept him there right on through the draft, though I conceded that I was sure Trubisky would go before him because his game probably translated to the NFL more smoothly.

True.

There is a good chance the Colts end up with the top pick if Luck's injury is worse than originally expected.

it would certainly help to quicken the rebuild...

Let's make it happen.

I'm pretty happy about this one. I'm a big fan of Fanspeak. I think Sutton will be an absolute beast.

15: R1P15
QB JOSH ALLEN
WYOMING
27: R1P27
OT TYRELL CROSBY
OREGON
35: R2P3
WR COURTLAND SUTTON
SMU
47: R2P15
G MARTEZ IVEY
FLORIDA
71: R3P7
DL TRENTON THOMPSON
GEORGIA
79: R3P15
S DONNIE MILES
NORTH CAROLINA

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.