Syracuse Hoops 2017-2018

inkman

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am having some major nightmares about this game on Sunday. I distinctly remember getting crushed in the sweet 16 by Michigan State in Detroit in 2000.

I think that was the year where Mo Pete and Mateen Cleaves took them to the title. They shot like over 70% from the field against our zone.

I'm actually expecting a loss tomorrow. I was realistically expecting a loss last night, but Syracuse played much better than they did Wednesday. If by some miracle they win, it'd be pretty impressive for a team that has looked absolutely horrendous at times 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I'm actually expecting a loss tomorrow. I was realistically expecting a loss last night, but Syracuse played much better than they did Wednesday. If by some miracle they win, it'd be pretty impressive for a team that has looked absolutely horrendous at times 

I don't think anybody is expecting a Syracuse win outside of the players in the locker room 

but Syracuse has 2 Freshmen in Brissett and Dolezaj that are peaking at the right time , combine that with hopefully a hot Tyus Battle and a upperclassmen in Howard and maybe they make it a dog fight 

its still syracuse

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Haha— you’re looking at him like Dirk 2.0!! 

Lmao that's what I thought lol

if only Dolezaj was 7'0 like Dirk!

you gotta admit JR that Doles jumper has REALLY improved 

great form and touch 

40 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Lmao that's what I thought lol

if only Dolezaj was 7'0 like Dirk!

you gotta admit JR that Doles jumper has REALLY improved 

great form and touch 

Absolutely. 

I can totally see him over over the next 2 years developing a great jumper and even a little post game. Plus, you know he is going to put on at least 20-30 pounds of pure muscle with their training program. He could end up being one of the most beloved and improved players to come through that program.

but I doubt he will ever be like Dirk!! :D

Absolutely. 

I can totally see him over over the next 2 years developing a great jumper and even a little post game. Plus, you know he is going to put on at least 20-30 pounds of pure muscle with their training program. He could end up being one of the most beloved and improved players to come through that program.

but I doubt he will ever be like Dirk!! :D

Yea I don't think Dirk is possible... but Dirk is seriously underrated IMO... best European of all time

Hes already endeared himself to me lol I think Doles is gonna be amazing for 3 more years and I can see himself being drafted in the second as a stretch forward 

not to mention he will bulk up and he already attacks the rim well for a skinny guy

just love his game... great get by Boeheim 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are tons and tons of great college programs that don't even put talent to the NBA... who is the last Virginia Cavalier to be good in the NBA? ( brogden) Or Villanova?

Once they get to the pros it's all up to the kid... but Boeheim has developed sooo many first round talents 

Dion Waiters couldn't score in college? What about Wes Johnson? Lawrence Moten, Hakeem Warrick, Jonny Flynn, Tyler Lydon, Malachi Richardson,  Derrrick Coleman, pearl Washington ... they have had first round picks for 6 straight years, and they are all scorers ...  they aren't getting drafted cus their defense 

Heck Tyus Battle is going to a first round pick eventually and he is a pure slasher / scorer

There "are" tons of great college programs that don't put talent in the NBA.  What does that have to do with Barkley's statement.  He is saying if they practice against one on one every day they would be better against it.  The same argument could be made by saying a team that practices against the zone every day would be better against it.  One of the reasons why the zone is so successful.  Besides the fact SU takes it to a different level.

If you don't think that practicing against a certain defense makes you better against it, I have to wonder what all these coaching are doing.  And that goes for any sport.

1 minute ago, Greybeard said:

There "are" tons of great college programs that don't put talent in the NBA.  What does that have to do with Barkley's statement.  He is saying if they practice against one on one every day they would be better against it.  The same argument could be made by saying a team that practices against the zone every day would be better against it.  One of the reasons why the zone is so successful.  Besides the fact SU takes it to a different level.

If you don't think that practicing against a certain defense makes you better against it, I have to wonder what all these coaching are doing.  And that goes for any sport.

He also said that Syracuse has only had 1 scorer in their history... Melo, and hasn't had any since ... that's what I was referring too

thats what my rant was about... Cuse has had plenty of scorers

i understand his anecdote about the zone

Here is a link to an article at the Syracuse Post Standard about the zone D.   Since it was a topic here, I thought Syr fans that are out of town would find it entertaining.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2018/03/syracuse_basketballs_magical_mystical_zone_defense_in_the_ncaa_tournament_it_wor.html

Edited by Greybeard

9 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Holy crap. I'm sorry but Bayer had 2 very big plays at the end that were instrumental in preserving that lead.  Wow, wow, wow

Bayer had two jump balls— both critical. 

By the way, the fouls that Michigan State got away with on those inbounds “turnovers” late were comical. Battle got his entire arm slapped on that one where they replayed it.

Bayer had two jump balls— both critical. 

By the way, the fouls that Michigan State got away with on those inbounds “turnovers” late were comical. Battle got his entire arm slapped on that one where they replayed it.

That was like the longest 10-12 seconds ever lol

i was screaming when Battle was getting mugged