36 locks, 17 spots still up for grabs

Lions week is the time of year where the roster locks can basically take a week off to recoup before the season officially begins next week.

Here are the locks as I see them. I would be very surprised if any of these 36 players are not on the 53-man roster when we face the Jets on September 10...

1. QB Tyrod Taylor

2. QB Nate Peterman

3. RB Lesean McCoy
4. FB Patrick Dimarco
5. RB Jonathan Williams
6. RB/FB Mike Tolbert
7. WR Jordan Matthews
8. WR Zay Jones
9. WR Andre Holmes (thanks to Boldin retirement and Streater injury)
10. WR/PR Brandon Tate
11. TE Charles Clay
12. TE Nick O'Leary
13. OT Cordy Glenn
14. OT Dion Dawkins
15. OT Jordan Mills (thanks to Seantrel Henderson suspension)
16. OG Richie Incognito
17. C Eric Wood
18. C/G Ryan Groy
19. K Steven Hauschka
20. P Colton Schmidt
21. LS Reid Ferguson
22. DE Jerry Hughes
23. DE Shaq Lawson
24. DE Eddie Yarbrough
25. DT Kyle Williams
26. DT Marcell Dareus
27. DT Jerel Worthy
28. OLB Lorenzo Alexander
29. OLB Ramon Humber
30. MLB Preston Brown
31. MLB Gerald Hodges
32. CB Tre White
33. CB Shareece Wright
34. CB EJ Gaines
35. FS Jordan Poyer
36. SS Micah Hyde
That leaves 17 spots.
I think the positions for 12 of those 17 are established, we just aren't sure who is taking them yet. I also see us being very active on cut-down day for available running backs, wide receivers, tight ends, offensive linemen, defensive tackle, cornerback, and safety. So pretty much every position (it's becoming more and more obvious that Whaley left McBeane with a 4-5 win roster).
37. RB - Joe Banyard vs. Taiwan Jones vs. Cedric O'Neal vs. Free Agent
38. WR - Rod Streater (inj?) vs. Philly Brown vs. Brandon Reilly vs. Daikiel Shorts vs. Dez Lewis vs. Free Agent
39. TE - Logan Thomas vs. Wes Saxton vs. Rory Anderson vs. Free Agent
40. OG - John Miller vs. Vladimir Ducasse
41. OL - Loser of #35 vs. Michael Ola vs. Jordan Mudge vs. Cam Jefferson vs. Free Agent
42. DE - Ryan Davis vs. Max Valles vs. Marquavius Lewis vs. Jake Metz
43. DT - Adolphus Washington vs. Deandre Coleman vs. Nigel Williams vs. Free Agent
44. OLB - Tanner Vallejo vs. Matt Milano vs. Jacob Lindsey
45. CB - Kevon Seymour vs. Leonard Johnson vs. Greg Mabin vs. Bradley Sylve
46. CB - Losers of #42 vs. Free Agent
47. FS - Colt Anderson (inj?) vs. Bacarri Rambo vs. BT Sanders
48. SS - Shamiel Gary vs. Joe Powell vs. Trae Elston vs. Free Agent
Which leaves five spots for any position.
3rd Quarterback: Will they keep a third QB? I'm leaning towards no simply because no one else is going to grab Yates when he's released and if an injury happens at some point to Taylor or Peterman they can sign Yates off of his couch to be the backup. Though maybe Yates is a valuable mentor to Peterman. Or maybe a QB they want will be released this weekend?
6th Running Back: I could see six running backs (counting fullbacks) on the roster if a quality RB they like is released by a team this weekend (I see this as very possible). Or they really love both Banyard and Taiwan Jones (special teams), which I find less likely.
6th Wide Receiver: I think we'll have six WR's on the team. If Rod Streater can't be a full go I see Philly Brown and Brandon Reilly being the 5th and 6th receivers (though Daikiel Shorts could also nab a spot). They could also sign the best cut wide receiver on the market. I don't see any more than six, however.
4th Tight End: I don't see them keeping more than three Tight Ends tbh. Not on the current roster, anyway.
9th Offensive Lineman: Don't see it unless they find a 53 casualty free agent they want.
9th or 10th Defensive Linemen: This will be interesting. I've seen flashes from Max Valles, Marquavius Lewis, Deandre Coleman, and Nigel Williams this preseason. Have the coaches?
6th or 7th Linebackers: I think it's likely that both Vallejo and Milano make the 53. Is there room for a seventh? (Reggie Ragland, I'm looking at you).
6th Cornerback: I could see us keeping a sixth CB - which would most likely be preseason pleasant surprise Greg Mabin. Or maybe a free agent?
5th or 6th Safeties: Nah. I'm really down on the safeties on this roster.
Thoughts?

I don't see Holmes making it without a much better performance and the Comp Picks thing.

Tongue in cheek, I have to wonder if Vlad isn't a !@#$ing lock!

They like Taiwan Jones, especially as a gunner on ST

I think one of Gary/ Elston makes it

I didn't see Holmes making it until Streater got hurt then Boldin retired. Now, I don't think we have much choice.

We saw Vlad playing well into the 4th quarter on Saturday so I'm not so sure he's a lock.

I worry about Jones because he looks so skinny.

TBH, I can't tell the difference between Shamiel Gary, Trae Elston or Joe Powell. No idea who any of them are or who's ahead.

Holmes is still playing against first-string while Shorts and Reilly are playing against try-outs.

Yeah and Ducasse is starting and in rotation with Miller so I think where they have players playing based on what they are doing is way off, and start to wonder about their evaluation.

Maybe they also think that Reilly and Shorts will get more reps that way, I just don't see anything special in Holmes that tells me he should get a roster spot over other WRs that are making plays (yes the 3rd comp pick is also on my mind) so does holmes production you seen justify a 3rd?

Edited by MAJBobby

Bills have till week 10 to cut Vlad, Davis and Holmes. And they can always resign them if they wish. I could see Streeter to PUP. Week 7 or 8 when he's healthy again cut Holmes. I think Vlad and Davis get cut Saturday. I wish they could find some one better than Tate. He's fine as a returner but below average WR.

Such a weird year being the first time they can carry this many players into the final week. I don't understand it at all. Seems like a lose lose for teams and players. I think they know who their top 42 maybe 45 players are.

This may seem odd, but I would cut players 65-75 now. They have no hope of making the team. Let players 75-90 play against the Lions taking up the bulk of the snaps with the seconds and thirds. That opens up ten roster spots to make some moves.

I would cut Ducasse, a few DB's, a safety, IR settlement Yates, IR Streeter, trade Ragland, and cut one DE. That is 8 players right there.

Locks:

1. QB Tyrod Taylor

2. QB Nate Peterman

3. RB Lesean McCoy
4. FB Patrick Dimarco
5. RB Jonathan Williams
6. RB/FB Mike Tolbert
7. WR Jordan Matthews
8. WR Zay Jones
9. WR Andre Holmes (thanks to Boldin retirement and Streater injury)
10. WR/PR Brandon Tate
11. TE Charles Clay
12. TE Nick O'Leary
13. OT Cordy Glenn
14. OT Dion Dawkins
15. OT Jordan Mills (thanks to Seantrel Henderson suspension)
16. OG Richie Incognito
17. C Eric Wood
18. C/G Ryan Groy
19. K Steven Hauschka
20. P Colton Schmidt
21. LS Reid Ferguson
22. DE Jerry Hughes
23. DE Shaq Lawson
24. DE Eddie Yarbrough
25. DT Kyle Williams
26. DT Marcell Dareus
27. DT Jerel Worthy
28. OLB Lorenzo Alexander
29. OLB Ramon Humber
30. MLB Preston Brown
31. MLB Gerald Hodges
32. CB Tre White
33. CB Shareece Wright
34. CB EJ Gaines
35. FS Jordan Poyer
36. SS Micah Hyde
That leaves 17 spots.

I think your list of locks is right on Wayne. Of the players left to fill those 17 spots, I see two categories (not thinking about possible FA cuts):

10 more players I would expect to make the team at this point:

Rod Streater

Logan Thomas

Adolphus Washington

Tanner Vallejo

Matt Milano

Kevon Seymour

Leonard Johnson

Shamiel Gary

Reggie Ragland

Seantrel Henderson (though won't cost against the 53 at the start of the season)

On the bubble (7 of these 12 guys make it---special teams a plus here):

Joe Banyard

Taiwan Jones

Philly Brown

Brandon Reilly

Dakiel Shorts

Ryan Davis

Deandre Coleman

Max Valles

Colt Andreson

Bacari Rambo

Greg Maybin

Vlad Ducasse (or another interior lineman)

Edited by folz

I think there are more locks than you. Tight end position is settled with Logan Thomas, plus Seymour and Washington are locks.

Additionally, I don't think we carry any more running backs unless it's for special teams.

I just don't see anything special in Holmes that tells me he should get a roster spot over other WRs that are making plays (yes the 3rd comp pick is also on my mind) so does holmes production you seen justify a 3rd?

Maybe not. But Holmes and Ryan Davis certainly does.

Bills have till week 10 to cut Vlad, Davis and Holmes. And they can always resign them if they wish. I could see Streeter to PUP. Week 7 or 8 when he's healthy again cut Holmes. I think Vlad and Davis get cut Saturday. I wish they could find some one better than Tate. He's fine as a returner but below average WR.

Davis has been too good to cut.

I think Adolphus Washington is a lock

That's too bad. He sucks.

Is John Miller really at risk of not making the team?

He better not be, but I assume based on the "competition" they are having is why he didn't put him in the lock.

I really hope they are playing ducasse to see if someone might want something for him. Only reason imaginable imo for playing him this much