DraftTek Positional Needs After Game 3

Astrobot

I'm submitting Positional Needs for next week's mock draft on DraftTek. Here's what I have. The P1 would likely come in RD1; you can only have one P1 per team. The P2's would be drafted in best-player-available order in RD 1-3. The DraftTek computer won't consummate trades, and won't over-reach for a player.

QB--- up to P1---Batted balls alone make me think QB must be 6'4" (Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph).

OT--- up to P2---Mills' opponent blocked 3 balls. Dawkins would take his place, but Cordy seems vulnerable to injury.

OG--- up to P3---Incognito is age 34 and has had 2-3 penalties in preseason. Can we stop thinking Ducasse is an option? Is he a ploy to light a fire under Miller's butt?

OC--- down to P4---Wood signed for 2 more years, Groy his successor, could be one of the Guards going forward which opens up hole at OC.

TE--- up to P2. Clay targeted 7 times by Bills QBs, caught 4 of them for 47 yds. Clay isn't who we thought he was (530 yards per year and 7 TDs as a Bill) as the NFL's seventh highest paid TE), and O'Leary has more yardage.

WR--- up to P2. Although Reilly outshone Shorts, he cost the Bills the game at the end. We know our starters; it's the 4-5 behind those three that need fortification.

RB---holds at P6. McCoy just needs better blocking, Jon Williams, and Tolbert (first down on 3rd and 1 play and team's only TD), plus either Taiwan or Banyard. We're set.

DT--- dn to P6. Impressed with Worthy, Marquavius Lewis, and Deandre Coleman at DT. Even Adolphus (who filled in for Dareus). If Dareus is traded (haven't heard anything), this goes to P2.

DE--- dn to P4. Hughes and Shaq will be a terror, especially with level of play Shaq and DTs provide. Yarbrough continues to terrorize QBs. Even Seau and Ryan Davis showed up.

LB--- remains P2. Preston Brown looked great (7 total tackles) but Vallejo's injury, erratic play from Milano, lack of sideline to sideline speed indicate an earlier pick than RD5.

CB--- remains P4. Very sound play from White and fast learner EJ Gaines, plus Shareece Wright, plus the scheme, make this less of a need.

S ---remains P2. Hyde's great. Poyer's above average. Likely need Anderson, Rambo, or Gary to distinguish themselves before the cut to 53, or we'll be taking someone else's cut.

---Please give me your thoughts. --Astro.

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on board with P1 Astro. If they are set on this offense they need height, a quick release, exceptional sort/medium accuracy, etc.

Here's the Bills' problem with the 2018 QBs. Also a good reason not to tank:

You've described Sam Darnold. We'd have to suck worse than the Jets, or use 2-3 picks to get him away from the Jets. Disadvantage: He's 6'3, tied for shortest of the Top 4 (Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Rudolph). He's also a USC QB, and virtually none of the USC QBs have amounted to anything recently.

You haven't described Josh Allen. Of my Top 10, the 6'5" Allen is Second-Worst in completion percentage against AP-ranked teams. You'll get an athlete = Tyrod, with better arm strength, and better ability to fit the ball into tight windows, but inconsistent decision-making and late throws a la Tyrod.

You might think you're describing Josh Rosen, but he's also only 6'3", and even worse, he's 210. He and Lamar Jackson are the lightweights in my Top 10. Rosen's arm strength has been described as " uneven to marginal", and he's tied for the slowest QB in my Top 20. That's forty-time, and the fat that he's slow-footed, to boot. This leads him to panic too soon.

My best guess at this point is that if they're unsure about Darnold, they're looking at Mason Rudolph, who has the most deep-ball yards (helpful to take the top off a defense if they're crowding the box), and he's 6'4 235, so that's in his favor. His speed is average for the top 6 QBs (4.74 forty). He is the best sideline timing thrower among the Day 1-2 QBs this class, important in the WCO horizontal game. He had 63.3% completions last year against AP-ranked teams. If the Bills take him, they can stay put in RD1 for sure. My biggest question mark about Rudolph can be fixed: He's put up his numbers with really good WRs. IF the Bills take Rudolph first, they'll take a great WR second.

If Mason Rudolph has the best WRs, Lamar Jackson had the worst help. He's made highlight-reel plays, Heisman caliber, with Tyrodesque run ability, with Tyrodesque ability to throw on the run. He, Browning, and Trace McSorley are the lightest in my Top 20. Lamar also needs the most work in my top 8. Some of it is coachable (lower body mechanics, trust your line and don't leave pocket early) and some is not.

I'm submitting Positional Needs for next week's mock draft on DraftTek. Here's what I have. The P1 would likely come in RD1; you can only have one P1 per team. The P2's would be drafted in best-player-available order in RD 1-3. The DraftTek computer won't consummate trades, and won't over-reach for a player.
QB--- up to P1---Batted balls alone make me think QB must be 6'4" (Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph).
OT--- up to P2---Mills' opponent blocked 3 balls. Dawkins would take his place, but Cordy seems vulnerable to injury.
OG--- up to P3---Incognito is age 34 and has had 2-3 penalties in preseason. Can we stop thinking Ducasse is an option? Is he a ploy to light a fire under Miller's butt?
OC--- down to P4---Wood signed for 2 more years, Groy his successor, could be one of the Guards going forward which opens up hole at OC.
TE--- up to P2. Clay targeted 7 times by Bills QBs, caught 4 of them for 47 yds. Clay isn't who we thought he was, and O'Leary has more yardage.
WR--- up to P2. Although Reilly outshone Shorts, he cost the Bills the game at the end. We know our starters; it's the 4-5 behind those three that need fortification.
RB---holds at P6. McCoy just needs better blocking, Jon Williams, and Tolbert (first down on 3rd and 1 play and team's only TD), plus either Taiwan or Banyard. We're set.
DT--- dn to P6. Impressed with Worthy, Marquavius Lewis, and Deandre Coleman at DT. Even Adolphus (who filled in for Dareus). If Dareus is traded (haven't heard anything), this goes to P2.
DE--- dn to P4. Hughes and Shaq will be a terror, especially with level of play Shaq and DTs provide. Yarbrough continues to terrorize QBs. Even Seau and Ryan Davis showed up.
LB--- remains P2. Preston Brown looked great (7 total tackles) but Vallejo's injury, erratic play from Milano, lack of sideline to sideline speed indicate an earlier pick than RD5.
CB--- remains P4. Very sound play from White and fast learner EJ Gaines, plus Shareece Wright, plus the scheme, make this less of a need.
S ---remains P2. Hyde's great. Poyer's above average. Likely need Anderson, Rambo, or Gary to distinguish themselves before the cut to 53, or we'll be taking someone else's cut.
---Please give me your thoughts. --Astro

So you are pretty much saying we need a full team. - now you know why we are stocking draft picks.

Nothing happens until you fix the offensive line with 2 picks in out first 4 selections dedicated to it.

I agree FULLY.

Simulating a Bills' Bottom 8 finish and a Chiefs' Top 8 finish with the current 200-player DraftTek Big Board:

RD1---Mike McGlinchey OT or Malik Jefferson OLB or Josh Rosen QB or Minkah Fitzpatrick S/CB

RD1---Marcus Allen S or Mason Rudolph QB or Lamar Jackson QB or Dante Booker OLB

RD2#37---Deon Cain WR or Kendall Joseph OLB or Da'Ron Payne DT or Ronnie Harrison S or Equanimeous St Brown WR

RD2#40---Deon Cain WR or Kendall Joseph OLB or Da'Ron Payne DT or Ronnie Harrison S or Equanimeous St Brown WR

RD3---K.C. McDermott OT or Auden Tate / Jaylen Smith WR or Mike Gesicki TE or Zachary Crabtree OT

RD3----K.C. McDermott OT or Auden Tate / Jaylen Smith WR or Mike Gesicki TE or Zachary Crabtree OT

Edited by Astrobot

I don't know if the QB needs to be 6'4 or taller. I think the O-line needs to stay on blocks better. I think the O-line needs to stop getting pushed back. I think the main issue this pre-season in not our QB's. They have struggled at times, true, but a lot of the issues are due to the O-line getting pushed around. Even when Shady got off in Philly it was because of his own doing. I don't know what the hell is going on up front, but that should be an area of emphasis in FA and draft next year.

On a side note, Gaines looks real good; athletic and aware.

I agree FULLY.

Simulating a Bills' Bottom 8 finish and a Chiefs' Top 8 finish with the current 200-player DraftTek Big Board:

RD1---Mike McGlinchey OT or Malik Jefferson OLB or Josh Rosen QB or Minkah Fitzpatrick S/CB

RD1---Marcus Allen S or Mason Rudolph QB or Lamar Jackson QB or Dante Booker OLB

RD2#37---Deon Cain WR or Kendall Joseph OLB or Da'Ron Payne DT or Ronnie Harrison S or Equanimeous St Brown WR

RD2#40---Deon Cain WR or Kendall Joseph OLB or Da'Ron Payne DT or Ronnie Harrison S or Equanimeous St Brown WR

RD3---K.C. McDermott OT or Auden Tate / Jaylen Smith WR or Mike Gesicki TE or Zachary Crabtree OT

RD3----K.C. McDermott OT or Auden Tate / Jaylen Smith WR or Mike Gesicki TE or Zachary Crabtree OT

If they think that Mason Rudolph is good enough to be a first round QB and he's their highest rated at that point they should take him FIRST.

No such thing as a good starting QB that isn't worthy of your first pick..........I don't think any team in their right mind would trade their good starting QB for Von Miller or Julio Jones or OBJ without an equally as good QB behind him........the position is so valuable that a good one trumps the best at any other position.

Bills got lucky once getting cute taking Tony Hunter first then Jim Kelly two picks later but that Kelly pick could have easily turned out to be Tony Eason or Ken O'Brien if Kelly had gone off the board next. (Norm Pollom said after the fact that he would have taken Marino if Kelly were off the board but I think it was just a case of a GM who was afraid to make a choice and was trying to let fate make it for him so he had an excuse if he took the wrong QB)

TE--- up to P2. Clay targeted 7 times by Bills QBs, caught 4 of them for 47 yds. [/size]Clay isn't who we thought he was (530 yards per year and 7 TDs as a Bill) as the NFL's seventh highest paid TE)[/size], and O'Leary has more yardage.

RB---holds at P6. McCoy just needs better blocking, Jon Williams, and Tolbert (first down on 3rd and 1 play and team's only TD), plus either Taiwan or Banyard. We're set.[/size]

DT--- dn to P6. Impressed with Worthy, Marquavius Lewis, and Deandre Coleman at DT. Even Adolphus (who filled in for Dareus)[/size]. If Dareus is traded (haven't heard anything), this goes to P2.

LB--- remains P2. Preston Brown looked great (7 total tackles) but [/size]Vallejo's injury, erratic play from Milano, lack of sideline to sideline speed indicate an earlier pick than RD5.

---Please give me your thoughts. --Astro.

I agree with all this except safety, Hyde and poyer look good and don't see it as much of a priority for this defense.

Batted balls are an OL problem - happened to all 3 QBs - it's not on them. Notice it only happened on the right side.

If you watch the replays, the OL were too far off from the DL which let them jump - they are supposed to be there to nail them in the gut when they jump like that, but they are getting burned so badly in pass pro they are backing up too far trying to keep the rusher in front of them.

If they think that Mason Rudolph is good enough to be a first round QB and he's their highest rated at that point they should take him FIRST.

No such thing as a good starting QB that isn't worthy of your first pick..........I don't think any team in their right mind would trade their good starting QB for Von Miller or Julio Jones or OBJ without an equally as good QB behind him........the position is so valuable that a good one trumps the best at any other position.

Bills got lucky once getting cute taking Tony Hunter first then Jim Kelly two picks later but that Kelly pick could have easily turned out to be Tony Eason or Ken O'Brien if Kelly had gone off the board next. (Norm Pollom said after the fact that he would have taken Marino if Kelly were off the board but I think it was just a case of a GM who was afraid to make a choice and was trying to let fate make it for him so he had an excuse if he took the wrong QB)

Agreed

It has to be QB first. I'd put the needs after that at WR, RB and OL. The Bills desperately need speed. I would like to see something like Rosen, Guice (assuming Barkley is gone), Cain, and Ivey in the 1st 2 rounds.

I don't know if the QB needs to be 6'4 or taller. I think the O-line needs to stay on blocks better. I think the O-line needs to stop getting pushed back. I think the main issue this pre-season in not our QB's. They have struggled at times, true, but a lot of the issues are due to the O-line getting pushed around. Even when Shady got off in Philly it was because of his own doing. I don't know what the hell is going on up front, but that should be an area of emphasis in FA and draft next year.

On a side note, Gaines looks real good; athletic and aware.

Yep, Matt Stafford is only 6'3". As long as one has the skills like Darnold then pull the trigger.