So who's YOUR starting qb?

Steptide

Which QB  

449 members have voted

1. 1. So who's YOUR starting qb?

Unless they are hiding the true offense and running a fake drop back system in preseason it has to be Peterman. Taylor isn't made for this system, which makes me ask, why did the keep him in the first place.

As Hokie mentioned rather astutely earlier in this thread, it seems like they're making the QBs operate the plays in the positions they're least comfortable in.

By my count, Taylor took 65% of all of his snaps in the preseason games under center. So just 35% of his snaps were in the shotgun where he's used to getting the ball.

By contrast, Peterman took just 47% of his snaps under center and 53% of his snaps in the shotgun.

I also thought it was interesting that I couldn't find Taylor handing the ball off after taking any of those shotgun snaps, but Peterman handed the ball off at least a couple times after getting the ball snapped to him in the shotgun.

I think there's something to what Hokie said about having them do what they're uncomfortable with. That doesn't mean they won't go back when the season starts.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod has a unique skillset and it causes people to go to extremes on their opinions of him.

I think it's pretty clear that Tyrod is a QB with a very different skillset than the traditional NFL QB. I believe he can be successful if you put him in the right scheme with the right talent, which is exactly what the Bills did last year to get to an offense that actually produced decent points. The problem is for his skillset to work in the NFL it has to be a run-first offense with limited passing reads, which is why it tends to fail during two-minute type situations.

Tyrod can throw a pretty ball, but he can really only read half the field with a couple progressions. He's just not going to be the type of guy who can go through quick progressions across 4-5 receivers so it greatly limits the type of offense you can run to be successful.

Tyrod has a unique skillset and it causes people to go to extremes on their opinions of him.

I think it's pretty clear that Tyrod is a QB with a very different skillset than the traditional NFL QB. I believe he can be successful if you put him in the right scheme with the right talent, which is exactly what the Bills did last year to get to an offense that actually produced decent points. The problem is for his skillset to work in the NFL it has to be a run-first offense with limited passing reads, which is why it tends to fail during two-minute type situations.

Tyrod can throw a pretty ball, but he can really only read half the field with a couple progressions. He's just not going to be the type of guy who can go through quick progressions across 4-5 receivers so it greatly limits the type of offense you can run to be successful.

I agree with this, but I think the extremes come from the nature of everyone now - he is .500 as a starter and should be down the middle, but there seems to be a growing group on both sides that push their agenda.

The truth as is typical lies in the middle - there are things he can do and things he cannot do as you stated. I think Roman set him up in an offense that played to his strengths in year 1, but when Roman tried to expand him as a QB in year 2 he faltered and Lynn returned to the compressed playbook to get him through and try to win.

I get the feeling Dennison is not going to do that because the new staff is not interested in TT as a QB - they want to grow and develop a particular offense and if TT shows he can not do it - they will play Peterman and either way they are drafting a guy next year to develop.

There has always been extremes when dealing with the Bills QBs going back to the 60, but the fringe extremes have a way to really voice their thoughts on both sides making those in the middle stay quieter.

2 votes for Yates?

Give it time he is catching up - by the end of the season maybe he wins - LOL

Taylor. The offense is likely to suck this season no matter who is at QB. Give Peterman a year to develop and not get him killed/shellshocked (I know, not in the Bills vocabulary) and see what happens with the QB they get in the next draft.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Taylor. The offense is likely to suck this season no matter who is at QB. Give Peterman a year to develop and not get him killed/shellshocked (I know, not in the Bills vocabulary) and see what happens with the QB they get in the next draft.

Pretty much. Unless Glenn stays healthy and Matthews can really contribute.

Don't know why it's so hard for people to understand this.

I agree with this, but I think the extremes come from the nature of everyone now - he is .500 as a starter and should be down the middle, but there seems to be a growing group on both sides that push their agenda.

The truth as is typical lies in the middle - there are things he can do and things he cannot do as you stated. I think Roman set him up in an offense that played to his strengths in year 1, but when Roman tried to expand him as a QB in year 2 he faltered and Lynn returned to the compressed playbook to get him through and try to win.

I get the feeling Dennison is not going to do that because the new staff is not interested in TT as a QB - they want to grow and develop a particular offense and if TT shows he can not do it - they will play Peterman and either way they are drafting a guy next year to develop.

There has always been extremes when dealing with the Bills QBs going back to the 60, but the fringe extremes have a way to really voice their thoughts on both sides making those in the middle stay quieter.

Give it time he is catching up - by the end of the season maybe he wins - LOL

Tyrod Taylor was fairly popular as Buffalo's starter with the Bills fan base IMO. I also think on a whole the fans are a little gun shy of getting to worked up over anyone. So even in a small sample size here on TBD to see Peterman ahead in voting in just a couple of meaningless preseason games suggests something is jumping out at people in my humble opinion.

Meaningless or not did anyone notice the concerned look on the opposing DC's face watching rookie Peterman make plays against the daunting Raven D.

Peterman to Jones connection clicking.

Great post Rochester :thumbsup:

Edited by Figster

Tyrod's concussion gives the coaches the "cover" to start Peterman if they wish... I'd really like to know what they say in their coaches meetings about TT vs Peterman... I'm ok with whomever they decide to start... But if the coaches like what they are seeing from Peterman and think he can handle it, I'd go for it... Personally, I could see this team losing more games this season with TT the starter as opposed to if Peterman were the starter... At least Peterman "looks like" a real QB...

I agree, most rookies are not ready to start, but Peterman stood out to Gruden as the most NFL ready rookie he has coached up in years.

To me its about the best compliment you can get from a former NFL coach in my humble opinion.

He still is only completing 50% of his passes...and Gruden also LOVED, and I mean LOVED Manziel. Wouldn't shut up about him on draft night. Like anyone evaluating these guys, he is wrong more than he is correct. And considering I have never heard him not like a QB on his show, he's been wrong a lot more than right since most QB's don't become Franchise guys.

Again, I like Peterman, and for that reason its a terrible idea for him to start early behind a bad line. If we only have 0-1 wins come the bye week, then consider getting the kid ready after they bye if need be. But honestly, the kid would benefit for sitting until like week 10 in a lost season and getting the last 6 games to make his case.

He still is only completing 50% of his passes...and Gruden also LOVED, and I mean LOVED Manziel. Wouldn't shut up about him on draft night. Like anyone evaluating these guys, he is wrong more than he is correct. And considering I have never heard him not like a QB on his show, he's been wrong a lot more than right since most QB's don't become Franchise guys.

Again, I like Peterman, and for that reason its a terrible idea for him to start early behind a bad line. If we only have 0-1 wins come the bye week, then consider getting the kid ready after they bye if need be. But honestly, the kid would benefit for sitting until like week 10 in a lost season and getting the last 6 games to make his case.

I understand where your coming from if the kid wasn't making it look like just another day at the office. Peterman's decisive, showing good accuracy,and good command of the huddle. So I don't see game experience as being anything but a benefit for Nathan Peterman in my humble opinion Alpha.

You won't know if you need to draft a top shelf QB next year unless you start Peterman; you most likely will draft one if you start Taylor. This is not a playoff caliber team at this point, so what's the risk? Peterman shows potential. See if it's not illusory. BTW, everyone keeps saying Watkins is injury prone; what about Taylor?

Fig, you were a bigger TT "homer" than me. You were predicting a breakout year for Taylor. I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) you and so many others are honestly putting so much stock in preseason.

One thing I've learned over the years... who cares about preseason?!

I don't think we've seen much of the offense Dennison has in store for week 1.

Start overreacting after week 1. Who really cares right now?

552830c82e406.image.jpg

They are drafting a QB next season in the top of rd1 so Peterman has a short time to A) get game time experience and B) show what he can do. Starting Tyrod is just wasting time and energy on a QB that will be gone next season.

The only risk I see is sitting him all season and never getting a chance to see him play considering next year's rookie could end up playing right away. In my opinion him playing this season will give him a solid edge to compete with the new top round rookie next season.

He can play this season, but he doesn't need to play week 1. A 5th round rookie like him isn't making it through a 16 game schedule without getting at least a bit shell shocked on this offense with its lack of weapons.

Provided Taylor fails, which I'm fairly certain is going to happen, I'd give Peterman the last 4-5 games to see what he has. He doesn't need to play before then, regardless how bad we are.