Ragland and who for Alex Smith? Can it work?

First, Alex Smith hasn't gotten KC a playoff win and they have a much better defense than Bills will this year.

More important, Alex Smith is old and near the end of the line. Why would a Bills team that isn't likely to compete for a playoff spot need to add an OK old QB nearing the end of his career?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all the original article basically suggested trading him to KC because KC needs a developmental LB, KC is good at player development, and Ragland needs development. In summary, the author's premise was Buffalo is stupid, Buffalo doesn't develop players, Ragland is going to be wasted/ruined there so lets find a reasonable landing spot.

IMO, the Packers are a better match. They also have a million WRs in camp and won't be able to keep all of the good ones. There's a trade to be made there if desired. Michael Clark or Max McCaffery would be interesting.

I don't know them well, but I like the idea of RAgs for a pack WR.

Clark is 6'6" 220lbs and a former basketball player at Marshall.

McCaffery is the another son of Ed McCaffery. 6'2" 200lbs Played at Duke, ran a 4.4 at his pro day. He went undrafted which I thought was a little odd.

I haven't seen anything posts on this but it is intriguing. It talks about a trade to the Chiefs but has no option for what the Bills would get in return.

Trading Ragland, I don't think will hurt the team and could get us something well worth while. I haven't looked over the Chiefs roster but wonder if there is a speedster we could use. I don't know if I'd trade for the sake of stockpiling picks. but a 34 defensive team might be willing to cough up something good.

Any thoughts? I think it would be nice to get our hands on a deep threat, especially if Matthews is going to miss time.

I just don't believe it...

If the Bills had any idea they might trade him why would they kill his value by putting him on the 3rd team Defense?

"Hey does anyone want our 3rd string MLB?"

Bills will get what... a 7th rd pick?

If that happens what a waste, a early 2nd rd pick wasted.

Edited by 1WATKINS4

Good point.

But if we were to trade him, we should take picks, maybe including a LB prospect that fits the 4-3.

No team would be willing to give up much at all for Ragland in his current circumstances. Coming off torn ACL, has never played a regular season NFL snap and currently not 3rd team for a defense that is hurting for LBs.

For as little as you could get in return, better to keep him and hope that his struggles are mainly coming back from the injury. Trading him for a 6th or 7th round pick would be a waste unless they are convinced that he was a flat out draft mistake.

If some team offers a 4th round pick, I would drop Reggie. But I honestly don't see a team offering more than a 6th round pick. If it's a choice between a 6th or 7th round pick and keeping Reggie, I would rather keep Reggie. Reggie is a year removed from a major injury to his knee. Bills have a lot of options at LB and can basically redshirt Reggie as a backup this year. Let his knee heal and have him focus on learning the system. Then give him another full offseason of rest and see what he can do next year.

Reggie has good instincts and is a very physical player. He just seems to lack the range needed to play in the current system. I think it is possible that more time removed from his injury could lead to him getting back some of his range and maybe being better able to play in the system. Granted it is possible that he just isn't a fit and is too slow. But unless I get a 4th round pick I would rather try to rebuild him and get something out of him than selling low.

Alex Smith would get best QB we've had since at least Flutie. Do y'all ever watch him play?

Giants no longer wanted Kurt Warner but he was Arizona's saviour. Nobody wanted Gannon yet he was Oakland's savior. It happens.

Gross.