Is McDermott/Bean just Jauron/Levy II?

BADOLBILZ

Nah, definitely not Jauron\Levy Part Deux. I don't think we ever had this many picks in the first 3 rounds with them. The only players shipped off were Darby and Sammy. Hate that we traded Watkins, but the return for Darby was quality imo. I also don't think Beane would be stupid enough to take Whitner over Ngata. I like the new FO, I like the new coaching staff, but what remains to be seen is how the scouting dept. does at their job.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, definitely not Jauron\Levy Part Deux. I don't think we ever had this many picks in the first 3 rounds with them. The only players shipped off were Darby and Sammy. Hate that we traded Watkins, but the return for Darby was quality imo. I also don't think Beane would be stupid enough to take Whitner over Ngata. I like the new FO, I like the new coaching staff, but what remains to be seen is how the scouting dept. does at their job.

Well in all fairness..........I hated the Jauron and Levy hires and I was VERY much in the vocal minority here.

Most had your attitude about it...........pretty confident in Jauron......citing the praise Bill Polian had for him("I'd have hired him if Tony Dungy wasn't available").........glad with "wicky-wacky" Sam Wyche prodigy Mike Mularkey was gone.........and thrilled that Marv was back.

It is a fresh start and we need to give them a chance. We will not agree with every decision, and I do find it a bit odd to jettison young talent in a rebuild, but they are different people with different views/backgrounds as compared to Levy/Jauron.

I don't see any Jauron in McDermott but I do think Jauron and Beane have that same character emphasis that Bills teams of the 00s had. I hope that doesn't trump talent.

Yeah we will find out on gamedays.

Conservatives comes in all shapes........could be a soft spoken, deliberate, chiseled jawed ex NFL-star and Harvard grad(correction, Yale :flirt: ) like Count Chocula.........or an energetic, high voiced, uncircumsized McPenis resemblin' gymn rat like McDermott. :thumbsup:

I by no means wish failure on McDermott........but I reserve the right to be skeptical of his approach on accounta' I've seen it before. :beer:

Edited by #BADOL

McDermott seems like an energetic, highly motivated guy who has had the chance to spend significant time under consistently successful coaches/organizations. His experience with Andy Reid and how the Eagles went from a bad franchise to a consistent contender had to help. Then to go to the Panthers where they built that team through the draft into a consistent winner. After all of that he seems he really wants to prove himself. Not sure Jauron had that resume coming to the Bills.

Beane also seems highly motivated and comes from a strong organization that was successful in a market similar to Buffalo. Marv Levy was a great coach for those Bills teams but a completely unproven GM so hard to compare that.

It looks like these guys are going to build a team through the draft with high character players that love the game and want to win.

Oh Jauron/Levy re-worked the roster thru the draft........but first they attempted to bolster the roster with A TON of veteran free agent role players.......15 I believe(and they all were failures with the Bills, the best being the pass toucher known as Robert F Royal).

They then drafted:

Whitner to replace Milloy.

Lynch to replace McGahee.

McKelvin to replace Clements.

Poz to replace Fletcher.

Got their guys........but not only didn't get BETTER......but also ended up with considerably less production......and many of those picks left the Bills before those other players even ceased being good starters in the league.

6 picks in the first 3 rounds for Beane and McDermott sounds purdy good.........until you realize that in addition to many aging veterans they now must replace young players like Watkins and Darby.......and perhaps impact defenders like Hughes and Dareus who are kinda' "selfish" types.

And of course.......that's to say nothing of the QB position.

Not sure what's up with you John C.......saw you post a confused response in a thread yesterday where you attacked a poster for a complete misread on your part........hope you are ok. :thumbsup:

With respect to the highlighted segment I have no clue what you are talking about. I disagree with many people but I rarely attack people. I appreciate your sincere concern though for my well being. :thumbsup:

The Levy and Jauron era was worse than being bad. They were stupendously boring. Their drafting and roster additions were mishmash that resulted in mediocrity.

The Beane/McDermott regime is in their first year. Making a judgment about them before they have had a reasonable length of time to exhibit their work is to say the least a tad bit premature. Pointing out the inglorious handiwork of the older intellectuals has absolutely nothing to do with what the wrestling coach and his staff are currently doing. Comparing the two regimes, at least at this point, is not only perplexing but it is very odd.

If you or anyone wants to disagree with the strategy that this new regime is taking to rebuild this hollow franchise that is fine. But no one who is not comatose can say that he/she doesn't understand what is going on with this franchise. This team is rebuilding and it is being done mostly through the draft. There is nothing confusing about what it being done. In my opinion that is the smartest way to take on that endeavor.

Oh Jauron/Levy re-worked the roster thru the draft........but first they attempted to bolster the roster with A TON of veteran free agent role players.......15 I believe(and they all were failures with the Bills, the best being the pass toucher known as Robert F Royal).

They then drafted:

Whitner to replace Milloy.

Lynch to replace McGahee.

McKelvin to replace Clements.

Poz to replace Fletcher.

Got their guys........but not only didn't get BETTER......but also ended up with considerably less production......and many of those picks left the Bills before those other players even ceased being good starters in the league.

6 picks in the first 3 rounds for Beane and McDermott sounds purdy good.........until you realize that in addition to many aging veterans they now must replace young players like Watkins and Darby.......and perhaps impact defenders like Hughes and Dareus who are kinda' "selfish" types.

And of course.......that's to say nothing of the QB position.

Not sure what's up with you John C.......saw you post a confused response in a thread yesterday where you attacked a poster for a complete misread on your part........hope you are ok. :thumbsup:

I like the first 3 picks - White , Z Jones , Dawkins and I believe that all 3 will contribute greatly this year ,

I also believe that Z Jones will be a better WR then R Woods was , and if White will make us forget about Gilmore then this was a great draft ( both are on the rookie contracts ) also Jordan Mathews is no scrab , I guess I will reserve my judgment until the next year's draft ,

We needed a change ( I'm sure that everyone ) can agree on that , right ?

With respect to the highlighted segment I have no clue what you are talking about. I disagree with many people but I rarely attack people. I appreciate your sincere concern though for my well being. :thumbsup:

The Levy and Jauron era was worse than being bad. They were stupendously boring. Their drafting and roster additions were mishmash that resulted in mediocrity.

The Beane/McDermott regime is in their first year. Making a judgment about them before they have had a reasonable length of time to exhibit their work is to say the least a tad bit premature. Pointing out the inglorious handiwork of the older intellectuals has absolutely nothing to do with what the wrestling coach and his staff are currently doing. Comparing the two regimes, at least at this point, is not only perplexing but it is very odd.

If you or anyone wants to disagree with the strategy that this new regime is taking to rebuild this hollow franchise that is fine. But no one who is not comatose can say that he/she doesn't understand what is going on with this franchise. This team is rebuilding and it is being done mostly through the draft. There is nothing confusing about what it being done. In my opinion that is the smartest way to take on that endeavor.

👍

McDermott seems like an energetic, highly motivated guy who has had the chance to spend significant time under consistently successful coaches/organizations. His experience with Andy Reid and how the Eagles went from a bad franchise to a consistent contender had to help. Then to go to the Panthers where they built that team through the draft into a consistent winner. After all of that he seems he really wants to prove himself. Not sure Jauron had that resume coming to the Bills.

Beane also seems highly motivated and comes from a strong organization that was successful in a market similar to Buffalo. Marv Levy was a great coach for those Bills teams but a completely unproven GM so hard to compare that.

It looks like these guys are going to build a team through the draft with high character players that love the game and want to win.

Jauron was from Holmgren and Coughlin trees......both are SB winners........Andy Reid and Ron Rivera......meh.......and Reid fired McDermott, fwiw.

Well in all fairness..........I hated the Jauron and Levy hires and I was VERY much in the vocal minority here.

Most had your attitude about it...........pretty confident in Jauron......citing the praise Bill Polian had for him("I'd have hired him if Tony Dungy wasn't available").........glad with "wicky-wacky" Sam Wyche prodigy Mike Mularkey was gone.........and thrilled that Marv was back.

So you were right 10 years ago.....and wrong about Aaron Judge maintaining his .432 babip, which has been .234 since you so boldly forecasted he would not regress. If I may someone(me) told you that wouldn't happen.

For the record, I'm calling BS on the pattern you see between McD/ Beane and Levy/Jauron.

Jauron was from Holmgren and Coughlin trees......both are SB winners........Andy Reid and Ron Rivera......meh.......and Reid fired McDermott, fwiw.

Jauron had some experience with Holmgren and Coughlin but had been a head coach twice prior to the Bills. He also came to the Bills at an older age. With that said...of all the coaches the Bills have had since the last playoff appearance, I have the most respect for Jauron.

"Jauron-y".

Must have missed the part where Beane is an out of touch senior citizen plucked out of retirement and forced into a role he really didn't want because nostalgia.

And the part where McD is a played-out retread brought in to be a cheap "yes man" while our old coot owner just tries to stay afloat in a league that had probably passed his ideology by years ago.

Yep. So similar it's spooky.

Exactly!

I like the first 3 picks - White , Z Jones , Dawkins and I believe that all 3 will contribute greatly this year ,

I also believe that Z Jones will be a better WR then R Woods was , and if White will make us forget about Gilmore then this was a great draft ( both are on the rookie contracts ) also Jordan Mathews is no scrab , I guess I will reserve my judgment until the next year's draft ,

We needed a change ( I'm sure that everyone ) can agree on that , right ?

When you aim low in the draft.......your picks can end up looking successful.........but you can end up with a roster full of meh.

I'm probably the boards biggest Tre White fan........I had him as my #1 CB....but in general I thought they aimed low/drafted for need in this draft.

Donte Whitner became a Pro Bowler.......Marshawn Lynch...HOF?...........Poz.......very good starter for a long time.......McKelvin was even a long term NFL player and Jauron's most scrutinized draft class(Maybin) produced Eric Wood, Andy Levitre and Jairus Byrd.

Point being.......they didn't TECHNICALLY draft bad at all........they self inflicted a lot of wounds trading and dumping good young veterans........and picked a lot of low hanging fruit and then at the end found themselves WOEFULLY lacking at QB/LT/WR/DE/DT........you know.......the positions you have to PAY BIG $ for in FA.

So you were right 10 years ago.....and wrong about Aaron Judge maintaining his .432 babip, which has been .234 since you so boldly forecasted he would not regress. If I may someone(me) told you that wouldn't happen.

For the record, I'm calling BS on the pattern you see between McD/ Beane and Levy/Jauron.

I don't recall boldly predicting that he would maintain a .432 babip.........methinks you exaggerate a bit. :beer:

But yes I was very much against Jauron/Levy........and I was very right about it.

C.Biscuit was enraged with me for my Jauron bashing for years.....he had positive Belichick/Jauron comparisons in his sig lines........now check out the tune he's singing........."please not Jauron again!".

#BADOLWASRIGHT :flirt:

I think Mcdeane is at least a step above. Levy didnt have a great background for the GM position. Mcdermott cant be any whose than Jauron.

I get the fact that these guys are new so they seem special.

But McDermott has a very modest coaching record........as I've mentioned, he was actually FIRED as a DC in the job before his last.......which is highly unusual for a first time HC candidate..........and Beane has about as much player scouting experience as Russ Brandon......not really a personnel man by nature.

I think Brandon Beane gave us a little clarification today regarding why they made these controversial trades.

Those who are excited because they are now expecting 2-4 wins this season and a high first round pick this year..........mmmmmperhaps not.

It's NOT a tank:

"If this was baseball, we’d probably have kept Sammy, because we wouldn’t have had the cap to worry about," Beane told King. "But every decision you make in football, with the cap, is a calculated risk. We had four inquiries for Sammy, and three offers, and got to a point where the Rams were willing to give a high pick, and we thought it was the best thing for us."

Beane points out that trades like the Bills made Friday are rare – King references just three similar trades over the last six years.

With six picks in the first three rounds, Beane told King he knows the pressure will fall directly on him.

"The onus is on me and my staff," the Bills' GM said. "We have to draft well. We’ve taken the first step – accumulating high picks."

They are trying to win using the simplify and synergize approach........the same basic building technique used by Jauron/Levy.

For those that have forgotten.....the Ivy League duo took over the franchise and tried to build a team around veteran role players.

Their rationale was based greatly on a misunderstanding about how the Patriots had become successful.........neglectful of the fact that Belichick was a brilliant game planner and gameday coach........and that he was aided significantly by cheating.

So basically two guys whose education suggested they deserve a ton of trust........then spent the first couple years turning over the talented personalities on the roster that either wanted to get paid......or were likely to question their stewardship......specifically Lawyer Milloy, London Fletcher, Nate Clements, Willis McGahee and Takeo Spikes..........and then essentially using all of their draft capital for the next few seasons on their replacements.

On the field.........they played vanilla defense and offense........protected the ball.........ran it, ran it, passed it and punted it........and won 7 games for 3 straight years as the roster became weaker and weaker........until the team finally quit on him.

Is this what we are facing with McDermott/Bean?

I don't know.........but McDermott doesn't strike me as a strategic genius.......he was a Jauron-y kinda' DC in Carolina.

But if anyone thinks this is a refreshing "disruption" or anything remotely new to this franchise.......nope.

^^^

When you aim low in the draft.......your picks can end up looking successful.........but you can end up with a roster full of meh.

I'm probably the boards biggest Tre White fan........I had him as my #1 CB....but in general I thought they aimed low/drafted for need in this draft.

Donte Whitner became a Pro Bowler.......Marshawn Lynch...HOF?...........Poz.......very good starter for a long time.......McKelvin was even a long term NFL player and Jauron's most scrutinized draft class(Maybin) produced Eric Wood, Andy Levitre and Jairus Byrd.

Point being.......they didn't TECHNICALLY draft bad at all........they self inflicted a lot of wounds trading and dumping good young veterans........and picked a lot of low hanging fruit and then at the end found themselves WOEFULLY lacking at QB/LT/WR/DE/DT........you know.......the positions you have to PAY BIG $ for in FA.

OP, I agree with the comparison because too many of the quotes from McDermott/Beane sound like they could have come from Jauron/Levy a decade ago ... and Russ Brandon, the man who sold off most of the Florida Marlins' talent for a fat profit for the ownership of that franchise the year after they won the World Series, remains in charge of the organization ... just as he has since the Jauron/Levy era. That he doesn't actively make all football decisions doesn't mean that he doesn't significantly influence those decisions.